Images claim to show Apple's Motion 5, Final Cut Pro X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There you go. I, too, base my decisions to buy $5,000 software on a few unsubstantiated screenshots of an unreleased product.

Funny!
  • Reply 22 of 36
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The fundamental idea with nodes is all about sending the result of a processed comp to where it makes sense. With traditional layers this fundamental basic doesn't really work.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex4d View Post

Given that the icon for 'Rig' is a joystick, and that this version can create generators, filters and transitions for Final Cut, perhaps a Rig is a combination of published settings can can be set up in Motion that can be selected from a pop-up menu in FCP.

In the screenshot a parameter is being added to a rig called 'Pattern.' That could be the value the parameter has at that moment. With the addition of a few other parameter values, choosing a specific rig in Final cut could set many parameters to specific values at the same time.

This is distinct from the list of published parameters.

However, this feature could also be hidden in the 'Snapshots' sub-tab of the 'Properties' tab.

Alex4D

So you don't think "Rig" has anything to do with importing or creating 3-D rigged models (with bones), or perhaps it's simply creating dependencies with other motion elements? My mind is teeming with the possibilities...
  • Reply 24 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Why couldn't you have both?

Each node could contain Layers, and each Layer -- perhaps a Node again.

-- it would be similar to how After Effects uses sub-projects. You have a large image scrolling in the window of a car, and if you drill down on the window, it opens up whatever project you put the large image and mask in.

Nodes are just a way of organizing the project and compositing -- same with layers.

-- and didn't we LEAVE OUT 3D Z-space as well?

After Effects is great if you are going to tweak and control every little bit.

Motion is great if you are going to "experiment" with things and play them in real time.

Some of the higher end solutions out there do both and in real time.

>> I figure, with "Grand Central" more GPU acceleration, and MORE support for REAL 64 bit -- the Real time and nested node capabilities become more of a reality -- you MIGHT however, have to RAID a few SSD drives together to work this in the "real world" -- so, set aside about a Thousand for half a terabyte of SSD RAID -- just my "guess."

I want different colorspaces, and codecs on the same timeline and less -pre-rendering. Now I believe I read that they were going to have "per layer" rendering of somethings, so when you hide or show a layer, you don't need to re-render the whole timeline.

>> The "rewrite" of the codebase is probably going to include MORE optimizations for multi-threading, and for separating out cache files in the architecture to enable more of the above.

>> Add in OpenGL and the GPU -- and maybe MORE exposure to Quartz, and you have some support for real-time "3d" projections built in. I'm not saying that will be in it -- but I'm just saying the capabilities are there.

I like your thinking on this and it's anyone's guess how much of high-end compositing/mo-graphics programs innovations might be folded into Motion 4... Personally, I'd like to see Apple attack photogrammetry to enable quick, accurate 3-D model creation and inclusion in Motion projects AND some kind of easy to use 3-D tracking solution.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by handygeek View Post

I don't think Motion was ever meant to be a Shake replacement. Even if Motion has a node view, I suspect it won't work the way you expect.

Will Apple have a Shake replacement, or have they abandoned that market?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Why couldn't you have both?

Each node could contain Layers, and each Layer -- perhaps a Node again.

-- it would be similar to how After Effects uses sub-projects. You have a large image scrolling in the window of a car, and if you drill down on the window, it opens up whatever project you put the large image and mask in.

Nodes are just a way of organizing the project and compositing -- same with layers.

-- and didn't we LEAVE OUT 3D Z-space as well?

After Effects is great if you are going to tweak and control every little bit.

Motion is great if you are going to "experiment" with things and play them in real time.

Some of the higher end solutions out there do both and in real time.

>> I figure, with "Grand Central" more GPU acceleration, and MORE support for REAL 64 bit -- the Real time and nested node capabilities become more of a reality -- you MIGHT however, have to RAID a few SSD drives together to work this in the "real world" -- so, set aside about a Thousand for half a terabyte of SSD RAID -- just my "guess."

I want different colorspaces, and codecs on the same timeline and less -pre-rendering. Now I believe I read that they were going to have "per layer" rendering of somethings, so when you hide or show a layer, you don't need to re-render the whole timeline.

>> The "rewrite" of the codebase is probably going to include MORE optimizations for multi-threading, and for separating out cache files in the architecture to enable more of the above.

>> Add in OpenGL and the GPU -- and maybe MORE exposure to Quartz, and you have some support for real-time "3d" projections built in. I'm not saying that will be in it -- but I'm just saying the capabilities are there.

I was just about to add this information regarding the Nodes each representing n number of layers, etc. The rest you wrote should be the baseline for all their Pro apps to leverage such foundation technologies.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    benbbenb Posts: 2member
    OpenCL is how the GPU is utilized.

Grand Central Dispatch is how all CPU cores are accessed at once.

64-bit is how we access much more RAM.

Core technologies are how we utilize Quartz.

All are being used in FCP X, and will probably be the basis for the rest of the FCS apps, since Lion is geared towards those technologies. You'll see Lion be the first part of the old (and outdated) QuickTime framework beginning to be pushed into the background for simple web site playback routines.

Conduit gives you node based workflow in Motion and FCP right now.

AE and Motion are basically the exact same app, different approaches to the work, but they both do the exact same things.

Now, there's one of those screen shots that has TWO MOUSE CURSORS in the same screen. One on the text HUD, one on the text object in the canvas window. How does that happen if they're not doctored up?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Heard this from someone today. Don't know if any of this is true.

"I saw it from a colleague of mine. No multicam. No viewer. No xml support. No edl support. No deck ingest or layoff. Media manager has far less options than it did. No more Color. No more Soundtrack. And no, you can't open your fcpro 7 projects in fcpx."
  • Reply 29 of 36
    benbbenb Posts: 2member
    Yeah, from the dvxuser.com forum. Highly doubt it's true. 2 issues here.

First, all anyone has seen, even beta testers, have not seen the final release version, so no one really knows.

Second, if it is true, someone at Apple is about to get fired and sued, or some beta tester is about to get sued out of his business. And beta testers are very high end studios who know better.

I think it's a crock of crud. No one knows, and if someone does, they're not going to go unemployed and sued into oblivion over it.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    editdogeditdog Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

"I saw it from a colleague of mine. No multicam. No viewer. No xml support. No edl support. No deck ingest or layoff. Media manager has far less options than it did. No more Color. No more Soundtrack. And no, you can't open your fcpro 7 projects in fcpx."

Trust me. VERY far from the "truth" and an obvious Avid/Adobe rabble-rouser.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EditDog View Post

This discussion at LAFCPUG also mentions the possibility if FCP X not supporting ingest from tape.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EditDog View Post

BenB! It's you!

Dollars to donuts, it's all true.

Patrick
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I highly doubt the FCP 7 bit is true... wasn't that feature demo'd during the NAB sneak peek?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    aldoniusaldonius Posts: 23member
    Is it just me, or is that Helvetica in the title bars there?

I also noticed that in the screenshots of autosave/versions on the apple site - look at the contextual menu off of the title bar there.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benb View Post

AE and Motion are basically the exact same app, different approaches to the work, but they both do the exact same things.

A Pinto and a BMW do exactly the same thing (get you from a to b) but does not mean that they are basically the exact same car. In terms of features (for instance the integration with a package like Cinema4D, Keylight, mochaAE, the 3D camera, 3D lights and 3D layers, stabilization and on and on and on) 3rd party support (RedGiantSoftware plugins come to mind like looks, colorista, particular 2 etc.), workflow (32 bit workflow that is quick and easy to setup and use with an easy to understand layers approach), versatility (motion graphics, film, color grading, motion tracking, roto work, stereoscopic imaging, native red support, again the list just goes on and on.) AE is the better package. Is AE perfect? No (nodes and realtime playback matching what say FCP or Premier can do would be nice for instance) but it is vastly superior to the current version of Motion.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

...snip...

Is AE perfect? No (nodes and realtime playback matching what say FCP or Premier can do would be nice for instance) but it is vastly superior to the current version of Motion.

I'd only say that in this case. superiority, like perfection and beauty, are in the eyes of the beholder...

Patrick