Is there evidence of an approaching G5?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 61
    sine08sine08 Posts: 10member
    just recently i read an interview with some guy responsible for parts of the semiconductor division of moto. the interesting part about that interview was, that it wasn't related to apple that much, but rather general about the next couple of big products coming from moto.

the moto guy gave VERY detailed descriptions of the apollo chip, the state of development (which sounded like it would come out quite soon) and everything around that family of products. when they (repeatedly) got to the topic of the next desktop cpu line - while mentioning the 8540 - the moto official blocked completly. his only comment was, that moto has agreements with bigger client"s" enabling the clients to completely decide how much information about the development of a product of high interest for that client is made public. and he repeatedly said that with growing emphasis on "full control" which, i think, includes everything from interviews (as proven) to microprocessor forum presentations...

from now on it's only a short, very easy chain of assumptions which are quite reasonable.

client = apple (because he explicitly talked about the cisco contract, regarding the embedded e500 core based chips)

-> sj controls flow information

-> SILENCE (anybody will agree to that last one, right

whatever. that doesn't say ANYTHING about the release dates of any of the chips, BUT the clou is inside what it just leaves out: apple doesn't have an agreement with them on keeping quiet about the apollo... why not? they will be the number one customer for that cpu.... by far... and sj would keep anything top secret if he had the chance to do so.

i don't believe that the g5 will come out at any time. i will wait with that till i don't have to believe anymore, but can know instead. (knowing for sure is MUCH less frustrating as believing - something which might prove healthy for some of the poor guys still sitting in front of stacks of hats they gotta eat cause of no pro announcement in sf. - btw. what about that guy who wanted to eat a cockroach and promised to post a pic?!?)