Apple kicks off back-to-school promo: Buy a Mac, get a $100 App Store gift card

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    While I understand that Apple is not obligated to throw in *any* freebies with a Mac purchase, I still find the new $100 App Store gift card extremely lame in comparison to the free iPod of past promotions. I love Apple and their products, but Apple seems to be getting less and less generous with every passing year. It's all about how much money they can squeeze out of their potential customers as opposed to offering unmatched value to their customers' purchases. From a marketing perspective, it's not good to be perceived this way by so many customers, new and old. It's such a shame to see things slowly but surely heading in this direction.

(If you're reading this Phil Schiller, you might want to take a closer look at the overall reaction to this latest "promotion" and reconsider. Steve Jobs will understand once you show him the hard evidence!)
  • Reply 22 of 40
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

My repost from earlier story:

I support Apple, but for all the Apple sycophants (who if Steve Jobs raised all prices by 150% would find a way to say it's a good move) this deal does stink. You say they don't have to give anything - true, but you can't go from giving away a $200+ item (iPod touch) that has multple uses (email, music, video, Internet, games, etc.) to a lousy gift card. iPod sales may be down, but I think touch sales are still respectable and if they want to continue competing with Nintendo and Sony the touch needs to keep being promoted. Not everyone wants or needs an iPhone. I guess if your job bonus gets cut in half you don't feel cheated cuz they don't 'have' to give you anything, or if you go to your favorite eatery and the manager gives a buy one get one half price but then change it to get a free coffee you don't mind. If Apple sets a pattern they should stick to it, at least give a free Nano or as someone else said a $200 gift card. $100 is not going to sway anyone on the fence about buying one.

All IMO!

I agree 100%! BTW, judging by how offended "Tallest Skils" seems to be with regards to peoples reaction to Apples "Back to school" promotion, I am beginning to wonder if "Skils" may actually be Steve Jobs!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    "$100 is not going to sway anyone on the fence about buying one."

You're right. Especially when it's not even *really* $100 and you're being limited on how it has to be spent. This is more about Apple's bottom line than giving the customer anything of real value.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Have you ever used an iTunes gift card before in your life?

Provided you haven't, it's one account, for heaven's sake. You can't not have seen this.

I've been using Macs since the late 80s, develop Mac and iOS software professionally and never have used an iTunes gift card. Additionally, in Canada, iTunes cards could not be used in the iOS App store at first. Apple later changed that policy.

So his question was perfectly legitimate. How can you not understand this?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

My repost from earlier story:

I support Apple, but for all the Apple sycophants (who if Steve Jobs raised all prices by 150% would find a way to say it's a good move) this deal does stink.

I don't know. I'm not a student. I'd be thrilled to get a $100 gift card with my Mac. Apparently students don't buy music, books, or apps? I sure would appreciate it.

If you are basing future promotions based on past promotions and had your heart set on a free iPod with your new Mac, then I can see why you'd feel disappointed. But not enough to whine about it on a public forum. I've seen sales in department stores that weren't as good as sales I've seen before. I don't go running to the Target or JC Penney forums to whine about it though.

Does that make me a sycophant? All I can say to that is, well, I appreciate you using the correct term instead of "fanboy," but I still don't think it applies to anyone who isn't disappointed by this promotion.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

You're right. Especially when it's not even *really* $100 and you're being limited on how it has to be spent. This is more about Apple's bottom line than giving the customer anything of real value.

Apple used past promotions to clear out old versions of iPods right before a refresh. If not for a promo they'd have to dump them on an overstock site with a much smaller profit margin. I'm not so sure that this gift card promo is better for Apple's bottom line than the iPod promo.

I certainly agree that it looks like a better deal to the consumer.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

I agree 100%! BTW, judging by how offended "Tallest Skils" seems to be with regards to peoples reaction to Apples "Back to school" promotion, I am beginning to wonder if "Skils" may actually be Steve Jobs!

me too..
  • Reply 28 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple should do away with this promotion entirely. Next year it should be a gift card for zero dollars. The educational discount, which some people abuse and cheat, is more than enough for those kinds of customers.

I've said this before, but I wouldn't mind if less people used Macs. Apple is a very successful company and they don't need to market to people by enticing them with outrageous offers and discounts. These frugal people are free to use Windows machines if they don't like it.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should do away with this promotion entirely. Next year it should be a gift card for zero dollars. The educational discount, which some people abuse and cheat, is more than enough for those kinds of customers.

I've said this before, but I wouldn't mind if less people used Macs. Apple is a very successful company and they don't need to market to people by enticing them with outrageous offers and discounts. These frugal people are free to use Windows machines if they don't like it.

Wow. Aren't you just an effing old-school Apple hero in a world of new Apple dimwits? I've been using Apple's computers for many years (back to the Bell & Howell model Apple II) and more recently some of the very first iOS products. However, in spite of that I would never come at anyone from the angle that you just did - because it's assuming, self-righteous and contemptible. Furthermore, just so you know, it's not being "frugal" when you're just searching for value in a purchase that well exceeds an 80 to 100 percent premium over the cost of the competition's products, regardless as to whether or not it's perceived by others (such as yourself) to be a "good value" already.

Does Apple pay you to say such things in forums or are you just mindlessly brainwashed?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I am just wondering at there any additional discount for Education Pricing during BTS period, or is it the same old discount.

It looks like they also up'd the discounts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Apple used past promotions to clear out old versions of iPods right before a refresh. If not for a promo they'd have to dump them on an overstock site with a much smaller profit margin.

Or, knowing they are about to update, they halt production of the old one and let it sell out. What doesn't sell becomes service parts and (for iPod touches) perhaps refresh units for those in store ringer things
  • Reply 31 of 40
    h2ph2p Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jne381 View Post

This is a lame promotion... Even though I have used Macs for a long long time, I am looking at the Microsoft offer that gives away a free XBox with a laptop very closely...and I don't even like video games.

Talk about lame. You sound like the kind of shopper that spends hundreds of dollars to "save" 2%. Your still out the hundreds of dollars. Please, wise up. Buying a Windows laptop for something that you don't care about?? (and you've posted 3 times in 2 years.) Bogus.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Does Apple pay you to say such things in forums or are you just mindlessly brainwashed?

Apple is a very politically correct company. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't pay somebody like me to post, somebody who is not afraid to speak their mind. I also don't have to be polite to customers, as I don't work for Apple and I don't have to follow their politeness guidelines. And I do sometimes have criticisms to make against Apple, it all depends what the topic is.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple is a very politically correct company. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't pay somebody like me to post, somebody who is not afraid to speak their mind. I also don't have to be polite to customers, as I don't work for Apple and I don't have to follow their politeness guidelines. And I do sometimes have criticisms to make against Apple, it all depends what the topic is.

Well, polite is something that you definitely were not. True, you don't have to be polite, but that can lead to others assuming that you're not a very nice person in general. Of course, that's your prerogative if you don't care about what other people think of you.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Well at least Apple is still giving an additional discount on top of the student pricing. TBH they don't have to do this and people will still buy their products. I'll be buying my MBP for university soon; I guess I'll sell the iTunes card on craigs or something. And that free $100 rebate on printer deal is quite sweet too.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Wow. Aren't you just an effing old-school Apple hero in a world of new Apple dimwits? I've been using Apple's computers for many years (back to the Bell & Howell model Apple II) and more recently some of the very first iOS products. However, in spite of that I would never come at anyone from the angle that you just did - because it's assuming, self-righteous and contemptible. Furthermore, just so you know, it's not being "frugal" when you're just searching for value in a purchase that well exceeds an 80 to 100 percent premium over the cost of the competition's products, regardless as to whether or not it's perceived by others (such as yourself) to be a "good value" already.

I could not have said it better myself! Perfect response!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I need to buy two identical iMacs, one for me and one for my son who is actually in college! In order to get 12 mo deferred financing using my apple juniper card, it has to be on one purchase, but the education site says limitation is 1 desktop, 1 laptop, and 1 Mac Mini per student (with only the first two qualifitying for the gift card), not to mention that mine should not qualify for education pricing.

Yet when I BTO the iMac on Apple's education store website and go to checkout, it does give me the option to double the quantity of the computer as well as the gift card.

Or should I just be honest and use the government store/employee purchase program and by them there for the same discount (minus the gift cards) since I am a government employee and there is no such restriction on buying two versus the 1 desktop only under the education site, even though they don't seem to enforce it.

Oh my concience

Call Apple customer service, ask them. I bet they say if the site allows you, go for it.

I follow the same principal when I'm undercharged at a store or restaurant (like they forgot to add my beverage to the receipt). The answer is usually "don't worry about it", and my conscience is absolved.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I understand the move, as on paper it makes sense. With Lion coming out, they really want the Mac App Store to hit the ground running, and there's nothing like giving people a gift card to encourage adoption of a new product/service. The iPod touch giveaway was originally intended to get people hooked on the iOS ecosystem; it's possible now that iOS devices have reached a saturation point, and the benefit of giving an iPod touch away has lost much of its benefits to Apple.

Also, from Apple's standpoint, giving a $100 gift card is close to being equal to giving away an iPod touch when you consider the cost of the iPod touch to Apple (okay, maybe not quite equal, since Apple gets 30% back).

However, while Apple may see the iPod touch as costing about $100, which is only a little more than the cost of the gift card, the consumer sees the iPod touch as being $200, since that's the sticker price.

Consumers have long memories. While Apple isn't entitled to give anything away, consumers have certain expectations. Apple would have been better served giving away a $150 or $179 gift card, as it's closer to the perceived value of the iPod touch, gets people hooked on the ecosystem, and doesn't cost much more than the cost of the iPod touch when you figure Apple gets 30% back.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I understand the move, as on paper it makes sense. With Lion coming out, they really want the Mac App Store to hit the ground running, and there's nothing like giving people a gift card to encourage adoption of a new product/service. The iPod touch giveaway was originally intended to get people hooked on the iOS ecosystem; it's possible now that iOS devices have reached a saturation point, and the benefit of giving an iPod touch away has lost much of its benefits to Apple.

Also, from Apple's standpoint, giving a $100 gift card is close to being equal to giving away an iPod touch when you consider the cost of the iPod touch to Apple (okay, maybe not quite equal, since Apple gets 30% back).

However, while Apple may see the iPod touch as costing about $100, which is only a little more than the cost of the gift card, the consumer sees the iPod touch as being $200, since that's the sticker price.

Consumers have long memories. While Apple isn't entitled to give anything away, consumers have certain expectations. Apple would have been better served giving away a $150 or $179 gift card, as it's closer to the perceived value of the iPod touch, gets people hooked on the ecosystem, and doesn't cost much more than the cost of the iPod touch when you figure Apple gets 30% back.

Well stated and reasonable - I like your stance! This is a good job of portraying both the reasoning behind Apples decision to alter the promotion yet allows room for customer disappointment, as well as offering what would have been a comfortable "happy medium" that would likely have satisfied most.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Agreed. And I'm also disappointed since I actually wanted a new iTouch and I won't be eligible to get my iPhone on Verizon for another year and a half.

Also, in addition to it being close to the cost of an 8GB touch (150/179 as you mentioned), I really wish they'd made it an Apple gift card, not an iTunes gift card. Then I could have at least used it on a Magic Trackpad or some other accessory. I'm sure that also would've made it not seem as bad. The iTunes card is just so restrictive. I have almost nothing to purchase through the Apple Store.

Oh well, I just hope I can get close to $100 for it on craigslist.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

not to mention many people bought Macbook/Macbook Pros BECAUSE they could get an ipod with it...