Apple rumored to offer next-gen MacBook Airs with black finish

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple uses black in their design language, but they don't typically do finishes, paints, or coatings (with the single exception of the coloured iPods).

Even though it would be infinitely harder to accomplish, I would believe this more if they had found a way to make the metal itself black, as opposed to coating/anodising.

The Ti-Books were painted and not exactly perfectly durable. And I wouldn't call anodising coating (which is what the coloured Al-iPods are), technically is not adding another layer ('a coat'), it is modifying the material itself.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nwmac View Post

That's a horrible mock-up image of the "black" Air. The shadow/reflection underneath looks like the laptop is extremely bloated.

I think the actual product would look NICE though!

Haha yes. On the MacBook Air black, even the USB ports and shadows will be darker!

Not to be snobby, but come on. Instant alpha is built into Preview for goodness sake!
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Three quarters of a year of black-only iPhones was not enough of black?

They should make an all-glass MBA.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    mafoomafoo Posts: 7member
    Here we go. 2 minutes in photoshop:

enjoy!
  • Reply 25 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

A black model? Like this one?

That looks disgusting, I hope it doesn't look like that. I don't like those vertical lines in the metal. Smooth would look much better.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

A black model? Like this one?

Interesting, when did PC laptops start to copy the Mac keyboards? Macs have only had that style of keyboard since what, 2008?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

One thing is for sure, the original MacBook is dead. In fact, I believe now is a good time to just call the MacBook Air the new MacBook because the price and performance levels fi in just the right place in Apple's notebook lineup. It's truly hard to suggest to anyone that the white MacBook is a good idea, with the thinness of the 11" Air at the same price and the solid performance and build quality of the 13" Pro just $200 away.

The MacBook is still a great value for entry level laptops. OK, it needs a processor upgrade ASAP. But the whole point of the MacBook is to be cheap. Add $200 and that defeats the point...And anyways, comparing 13" to 13", the MBA is $300 more for less storage and a slower processor.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

I want Blue Dalmatian!

+1 on that!!

(I know the wife would LOVE it)
  • Reply 29 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

I doubt this.

Implying their terrible Photoshop job is any sort of representation whatsoever of how it will actually look.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Interesting, when did PC laptops start to copy the Mac keyboards?

Well, if you believe Apple had the first chicklet keyboard, they started in the 70s. Which creates problems, since Apple DIDN'T have the first keyboard like that.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Hot stuff, especially in the sun.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Interesting, when did PC laptops start to copy the Mac keyboards? Macs have only had that style of keyboard since what, 2008?

I believe the 2006 Core Duo MacBook was the first MacBook to have the chiclet keyboard inside a recessed well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, if you believe Apple had the first chicklet keyboard, they started in the 70s. Which creates problems, since Apple DIDN'T have the first keyboard like that.

As usual, Apple was not the FIRST in the history of human beings to do something. But I think it's fairly well accepted that they POPULARIZED the "chiclet keyboard inside a recessed well" look that has become popular since 2007/2008.

You don't see too many of those before the 2006 MacBook. I'm sure you could find an exception, but they didn't really exist in large numbers.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    As long as they release it ASAP I don't care which color it is
  • Reply 34 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mafoo View Post

Here we go. 2 minutes in photoshop:

enjoy!

Huh? Someone turn out the lights?
  • Reply 35 of 72
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The Ti-Books were painted and not exactly perfectly durable. And I wouldn't call anodising coating (which is what the coloured Al-iPods are), technically is not adding another layer ('a coat'), it is modifying the material itself.

Yeah, it's a vague area and I'm by no means sure.

It would probably be more accurate to say they don't do finishes and coatings unless it doesn't *look* like a finish or coating. Their whole design approach is semi-brutalist and definitely focussed on honest materials, but as long as the product appears that way to the end user, they are not above using deception (invisible coatings etc.).
  • Reply 36 of 72
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    This is correct that the macbook pros will be offered in different colors, probably just black to start. This is NOT a paint finish, it's actually die mixed into the metal composition of the new "liquid metal" rights apple has purchased (which I don't know enough about)
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would probably be more accurate to say they don't do finishes and coatings unless it doesn't *look* like a finish or coating.

Closer, but I think I would say that it's more that it shouldn't feel like a finish. Consider the silver anodized finish that is common to MBPs and MBAs - it's also one of the possible finishes on the iPod classic, but there it's contrasted directly with a high-gloss metal back.

As a result it clearly looks finished, whereas on the MBP/MBA it's easier to imagine that it isn't - however because it's anodized and not painted it still feels like metal - cold to the touch, and slick. The problem with most finishes and coats are that they feel kinda nasty - the HTC desire's rubber coating may be practical but I wanted to put it down as fast as possible after picking it up.

Edit: Same on the 1st Gen iPhone btw. Metal back with silver anodize finish, directly touching a highly polished metal rim. The finish on the back is very obviously to the eye, but not to the hand.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    I thought the rumors had been calling for a carbon fiber future. Maybe these will be that instead of aluminum. Makes more sense.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

This is correct that the macbook pros will be offered in different colors, probably just black to start. This is NOT a paint finish, it's actually die mixed into the metal composition of the new "liquid metal" rights apple has purchased (which I don't know enough about)

I don't think that the 'LiquidMetal' tech allows for dye throughout the metal, it's certainly not mentioned on their website. Anyway, as yet there's no evidence that Apple are intending to use Liquidmetal for their macbook enclosure - their only patents that mention it are for fuel cells

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-is-gr...xclusive/75486
  • Reply 40 of 72
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    These new MacBook Airs are shaping up to the most revolutionary and magical yet. Genuinely cannot wait to flash my credit card in the direction of Apple.