mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SafeWordIsTaco View Post

FCPX apparently:

- does not open FC Studio project files

- Does open iMovie files

- does not use FCP plugins

- does not have Multicam

- does not import from tape, save for some Firewire gear.

- is shiny

I am all for progress, but so far this is hard to take.

No multicam? Wow that sucks.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netiquette View Post

This is great for digital video. Express and Server editions were dead weight. Now Final Cut Pro will be able to take digital video to the next level by focusing on their core product.

Do you know what Final Cut Server is used for?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Do you know what Final Cut Server is used for?

Serving... cuts? Finally?
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Read: Older versions of Final Cut not compatible with Lion.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inside_line View Post

Read: Older versions of Final Cut not compatible with Lion.

Sure they are. I'm running Final Cut Studio 3 on Lion right now.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!

You can output Blu Ray data to an external disk or an external Blu Ray burner with FC X. The new Compressor supports Chapters for this too.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    tshorttshort Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!

Under: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all...timized-output

Quote:

DVD and Blu-ray

Final Cut Pro provides several easy-to-use templates for delivering discs. Choose from a set of themed menus and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc.* Burn a red laser AVCHD disc using DVD media right on your Mac, or connect an external Blu-ray burner to create a standard Blu-ray disc for longer projects like full-length movies.

• Reply 29 of 57
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is not surprising from Apple. They have no problem with dropping features or legacy code when starting from scratch. Most if not all of these things will be re implemented in way that Apple feels is better than it was previously.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SafeWordIsTaco View Post

FCPX apparently:

- does not open FC Studio project files

- Does open iMovie files

- does not use FCP plugins

- does not have Multicam

- does not import from tape, save for some Firewire gear.

- is shiny

I am all for progress, but so far this is hard to take.

• Reply 30 of 57
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    If we look to where the puck is going.............

Its moving away from DVD distribution to web downloads and streaming. I guarantee few will question excluding DVD authoring from FCP.

Quote:

DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!

• Reply 31 of 57
    faducifaduci Posts: 5member
    Quote:

DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray.

They did. Probably not as powerful as DVD-Studio, but now integrated into FCPX:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all...timized-output

"DVD and Blu-ray - Final Cut Pro provides several easy-to-use templates for delivering discs. Choose from a set of themed menus and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc.* Burn a red laser AVCHD disc using DVD media right on your Mac, or connect an external Blu-ray burner to create a standard Blu-ray disc for longer projects like full-length movies.

*Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs."

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/spe...formats-and-io

"- Export and burn DVD, AVCHD disc, and Blu-ray disc."

"- Apple-designed menus for DVDs and animated menus for Blu-ray discs"

And of course they are supported in Compressor too:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/com...lined-workflow

• Reply 32 of 57
    gm7cadd9gm7cadd9 Posts: 68member
    I think a lot of you guys don't get the enterprise world. Just because something works doesn't mean it passes audit!

I know you can use the same AppleID on all computers, but according the license you can't do that for a business. Each bay has an individual copy. $299 per bay is still cheap compared to what we pay for Media Composer, but even so... managing this is crazy.

We can't just give out the AppleID, and then change the password, all app updates are through the app store, which requires AppleID and password. Having an AppleID for each bay is just as crazy. Also, business prefer to work with PO's not Credit Cards. Try deploying this to 20 edit bays and tell me it's not a headache? I can spend probably $500 on my CC and no one will bat an eyelash but I have to imagine Finance wouldn't be happy to see $6,000 on my AMEX. If it's over $500 it needs a PO.

Sorry to bore you creative types with the business world, App store distribution allows Apple to reach far more users, but I fear it is at the expense of the pro users.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

I think a lot of you guys don't get the enterprise world. Just because something works doesn't mean it passes audit!

I know you can use the same AppleID on all computers, but according the license you can't do that for a business. Each bay has an individual copy. $299 per bay is still cheap compared to what we pay for Media Composer, but even so... managing this is crazy.

Yeah, a flat-file database with an AppleID field and a machine asset number field is crazy difficult.

If your company can't cope with that, your company is broken.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

What was the price of the now discontinued Final Cut Express? Looks like it might have been $199.

I can see Apple concentrating on just a single product, rather than two. But for low-end users, they now have to pony up another $100? more actually, because Final Cut Express could be found discounted, previously. So effectively, the cost has doubled for low-end users.

It was the same price as the new Final Cut Pro at $299. At least that's what I paid for it.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:

We can't just give out the AppleID, and then change the password, all app updates are through the app store, which requires AppleID and password. Having an AppleID for each bay is just as crazy. Also, business prefer to work with PO's not Credit Cards. Try deploying this to 20 edit bays and tell me it's not a headache? I can spend probably $500 on my CC and no one will bat an eyelash but I have to imagine Finance wouldn't be happy to see $6,000 on my AMEX. If it's over $500 it needs a PO.

Sorry to bore you creative types with the business world, App store distribution allows Apple to reach far more users, but I fear it is at the expense of the pro users.

Read up on how Lion is being distributed for businesses and education sector.

Pretty much reckon they'll do the same for FCPX.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    gm7cadd9gm7cadd9 Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yeah, a flat-file database with an AppleID field and a machine asset number field is crazy difficult.

If your company can't cope with that, your company is broken.

I think that's a little uncalled for. I am not saying it CAN'T be done, I am talking about what SHOULD be done. You didn't address my bit about paying with a PO, in your scenario I am still charging all of this to a credit card.

Not to mention, maintaining a database, even if it's just a spreadsheet is excess work. I do maintain a filemaker database with serial numbers and their associated computers for some software (usually just plugins). Adding FCP X to this database would be a breeze, sure. But what of updating the software? Through SSH/ARD? Or App store only?

Yes, it could be done. The point I am trying to illustrate is that AppleID isn't meant for the business world. The very fact that they offered a document showing how Education/Enterprise can deal with the Lion install proves that Apple is well aware of this, which is why they offer the alternative method for a Lion deployment. I don't need you to belittle me, my job, or my company just because you can think of a workaround.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:

\\

There is some Blu-ray support.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/com...at-conversions

Choose from a set of menu templates to create basic Blu-ray discs or DVDs.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

I think that's a little uncalled for. I am not saying it CAN'T be done, I am talking about what SHOULD be done. You didn't address my bit about paying with a PO, in your scenario I am still charging all of this to a credit card.

Not to mention, maintaining a database, even if it's just a spreadsheet is excess work. I do maintain a filemaker database with serial numbers and their associated computers for some software (usually just plugins). Adding FCP X to this database would be a breeze, sure. But what of updating the software? Through SSH/ARD? Or App store only?

Yes, it could be done. The point I am trying to illustrate is that AppleID isn't meant for the business world. The very fact that they offered a document showing how Education/Enterprise can deal with the Lion install proves that Apple is well aware of this, which is why they offer the alternative method for a Lion deployment. I don't need you to belittle me, my job, or my company just because you can think of a workaround.

Just because something works for someone's home computer doesn't mean it's going to scale well to companies with hundreds of employees. But some people just can't see past their own single computer in their living room.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Read up on how Lion is being distributed for businesses and education sector.

Pretty much reckon they'll do the same for FCPX.

Finally! This.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netiquette View Post

This is great for digital video. Express and Server editions were dead weight. Now Final Cut Pro will be able to take digital video to the next level by focusing on their core product.

FC Server is only dead weight if you don't need it. For situations where multiple editors use multiple systems, and require easy access to a large pool of media assets, it (or something like it) is a necessity.

Express was also not dead weight. It's fine for on-the-run cuts, or segment editing. FCExpress projects open right into FCPro 7, and fall right into a sequence.

So, with Server gone, I'll have no way to manage a pool of close to 60,000 assets in a consistent manner so that producers and editors can manage ongoing productions with any degree of efficiency. And, I'll have wasted about $50,000 in hardware and software, and over a year of my life putting it all together -- not to mention the cost training and certification.

This could spell the end of Final Cut in our organization. Much as I hate it, Avid's solutions are looking pretty darned good right now.