Apple's second beta of iOS 5.0 enables wireless sync with iTunes 10.5 beta 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That's not true. I can sync without a power source connection. My MB Pro uses 802.11n and of course the iPhone is limited to 802.11g. They even have different network names and it works fine. I use an AEBS. Not the one that came out last week, the previous one.

What? The iphone 4 is 802.11n.....
  • Reply 22 of 43
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmccally View Post

What? The iphone 4 is 802.11n.....

Maybe he has a 3GS or something cause the 4 is definitely "N" capable.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post

I'm curious how the manual wireless sync will work and how the untethered iPhone appears in itunes. And does this mean you'll be able to manually drag and drop music to it over wifi? Or only sync / backup? It would be nice if whenever on the same network the phone would simply appear in itunes as a connected device.

That's exactly how it works. When on the same network, your iOS device shows up in iTunes. You can drag and drop or make whatever changes you like and hit sync.... As long as you're on the same network, your device will start syncing. And contrary to popular belief, your phone doesn't have to be connected to a power source.

I just walked over to my computer, added a few games and music, hit sync and never had to bother my phone in the other room. Sweet!
  • Reply 24 of 43
    meowmeow Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

The whole point is that right now there is nothing inside that div that reflects that it should scroll. Unlike on my desktop machine which has scrollbars. Honestly, I should have been more clear about that when I originally posted. My whole grievance with the current method is that there is nothing there that shows that it can scroll. Two-finger scrolling isn't that big of a deal, it is trying to explain to someone for the umpteenth time that there comments didn't disappear, and that they can be seen by scrolling in the box.

It is about usability.

woah! could u give me an example site to visit... i feel like i'm the perfect example of someone who should have known this, but doesn't cuz it is NOT intuitive in an iOS setting... iOS =/= OSX
  • Reply 25 of 43
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    they've fixed the bluetooth track display, works perfectly now.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meow View Post

woah! could u give me an example site to visit... i feel like i'm the perfect example of someone who should have known this, but doesn't cuz it is NOT intuitive in an iOS setting... iOS =/= OSX

http://training.apple.com/#certification

It has a frame within a frame. If you're on an iOS device, it will pop up once the page loads and tell you what to do.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Too lazy to read the thread so my apologies if it's already been answered... does iTunes need to be running for this wireless sync to work or does your Mac or Windows PC maintain a process for listening to and conducting the sync when a device on the LAN manually requests it or is done automatically whilst charging?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Too lazy to read the thread so my apologies if it's already been answered... does iTunes need to be running for this wireless sync to work or does your Mac or Windows PC maintain a process for listening to and conducting the sync when a device on the LAN manually requests it or is done automatically whilst charging?

Once I finish this large USB sync, I'll try out a smaller wireless one to see.

My guess? It absolutely has to be open. Heck, the Apple TV demands it.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I don't see any other way to do it.

Looking at the iTunes 10.5b2 installation files the AirTrafficHost.framework might be new.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

i'm glad that apple is FINALLY employing this. People can save money so they don't have to buy wires (i had to buy at least 3 or 4 of them because of wear and tear and they aren't cheap!!).

Hmmm.....if you had no wire how do you recharge the phone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Nice to see Apple finally trying to catch up with Google on environmental issues like this.

What does this have to do with the environment? You need a wire regardless of how you sync the phone.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I can see this logic if the cord is "only" being used to sync. You would still have to either carry a spare cord with you or have multiple cords for recharging. So I still don't see how you get around that one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Hey asshole, I have three cords too. One for my MBP, one for my bedroom and one for the car (since unused after installing a charger and connector to my head unit). It's easy to have multiple cords and wireless syncing can mitigate the need for more cords. Fuckwit. The pretentious assholes on here, sheeesh.

• Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

So is that what the iTunesHelper process in my login items does? I've always wondered.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh The Geek View Post

So is that what the iTunesHelper process in my login items does? I've always wondered.

That's for when you connect iDevices. I think I noticed a new process in my Activity Monitor today. Something about mobilewirelesssync or something of that sort.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh The Geek View Post

iTunesHelper is actually GONE in 10.5 beta 2. I use a custom icon for iTunes and have since... oh... at least since the pair of eighth notes was GREEN, even. I have to replace it for every update, and I keep two identical ones (iTunes.icns and iTunesHelper.icns) for convenience in doing that. When I went to replace the icons this time, iTunesHelper (it's its own application INSIDE iTunes itself, so it gets its own icon) wasn't even in the iTunes bundle.

I just looked in my Login Items and iTunesHelper was listed, but with no icon and a warning triangle, meaning it's definitely gone for good and that was just a placeholder from the login's .plist. GOOD. I never liked iTunesHelper, anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Sorry for the double post, but I was looking?out of idle curiosity?at the list of iTunes visualizers, and I see that in 10.5 they've removed Lathe, Jelly, and Stix. All that remain are the original iTunes visualizer and the new one they added in iTunes 9 (it was nine, right?) that is based off of the (originally) add-on visualizer called Magnetosphere.

Makes a lot of sense. Stix was just embarrassing, Lathe was weird and only "looked good" on stuff with ghetto beats, and Jelly... well, was okay.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

But it makes a lot of sense inside a scrollable frame on an also-scrollable page.

It makes some sense, but I wasn't aware of it until someone told me. iOS is largely a one finger scroll environment for just about everything everywhere, I never thought to use two for say, scrolling in a comment field. And yes, I do have a two finger scroll MBP, but that's still a different context.

Given how scrolling works on an MBP, touching a scrollable object in a scrollable page should mean that you scroll within the sub object. Touch outside that sub object, then you scroll the bigger page. I think that makes more sense.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It makes some sense, but I wasn't aware of it until someone told me. iOS is largely a one finger scroll environment for just about everything everywhere, I never thought to use two for say, scrolling in a comment field. And yes, I do have a two finger scroll MBP, but that's still a different context.

I don't know when that was feature added or if it was there since version 1.0 but I think it was only last year I "discovered" that was possible. Before I accidentally happened upon it I was putting my finger at the bottom of the comment field and letting it slowly skip if I were to say reply to AI.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    sparcdsparcd Posts: 3member
    Looks like if you enable iTunes WiFi sync then WiFi remains on all the time. I've used the airport extreme "Wireless Clients" screen to confirm this. Turn off WiFi sync and when the phone goes to standby it drops the WiFi connection.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparcd View Post

Looks like if you enable iTunes WiFi sync then WiFi remains on all the time. I've used the airport extreme "Wireless Clients" screen to confirm this. Turn off WiFi sync and when the phone goes to standby it drops the WiFi connection.

iTunes 10.5b2 also needs to be running for WiFi sync to work, at least in manual mode. I had hoped they had a background process run this independently of the app proper.

In Apple's defense, they are trying to get uses to never turn off an app by mirroring iOS apps and even removing the dots from active apps in the Dock as the default setting.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In Apple's defense, they are trying to get uses to never turn off an app by mirroring iOS apps and even removing the dots from active apps in the Dock as the default setting.

Wait, really? Where?