Apple says iOS update coming to fix new PDF exploit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Pirates, overloading the pirated App servers.

The pirates have been unleashed, well done Dev Team you are aiding and abetting thieves, in spite of the bulls**t disclaimer.

F**K THE STRAWMAN ARGUMENT, have a dose of reality.

What makes you think the servers are down due to pirates?

So now if I want to catch the super bowl and so does 1 million people with me and meanwhile the server cannot handle the load,does it entail that i am a hacker.

Get a dose of fresh air..and a dose of computer literacy first.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

What makes you think the servers are down due to pirates?

So now if I want to catch the super bowl and so does 1 million people with me and meanwhile the server cannot handle the load,does it entail that i am a hacker.

Get a dose of fresh air..and a dose of computer literacy first.

Well, due to the people who run the cracked App servers stating that since this exploit was released their servers have been overwhelmed with an influx of new people who are looking for pirated Apps.

The Dev team are nothing more than aiders and abettors of thieves and pirates no matter what moral high ground they want to adopt.

They should be ashamed of themselves for taking income from App store developers.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,250member
    And Budweiser should be ashamed of themselves for enabling drunk drivers.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And Budweiser should be ashamed of themselves for enabling drunk drivers.

Maybe if they handed out six-packs at toll booths they would be.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 26 of 30
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Just because there is an exploit does not mean Apple is lazy or incompetence. Some things are just unknown until it get discovered. That is just our life. Surely if the dev-team work at Apple they would identify it with Apple and not in the opposition to them. I dont think they would (working at Apple).

This went public days ago. There is even a public patch Apple can learn from or even copy. So what has Apple done to protect the 100+ million people who do not jailbreak? They have suggested a fix will be coming sometime in the future. I am sorry, but for an exploit of this nature, that can be executed so easily, sometime in the future is not good enough.

The dev-team patch is an app that is a few k and installs in a second, and it has been available from the time the bug went public. The Apple fix will be a full iOS build of several hundred mb and it will be available in a week or two if we are lucky. Oh and it will only be available for iPhone 3GS and later. Those with older devices will just have to live with this major security hole because Appl;e no longer gives a sh!t about you.

I am sorry, but Apple is clearly being lazy and incompetent in their handling of these major security holes.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

?? It's untethered. Always has been.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh. Whoops. I'm talking about iOS 5 beta 2's jailbreak which behaves the same way as whatever this one does, apparently.

Ya... This 4.3.3 jailbreak is user land so it's not bootrom etc... So it is untethered. Don't really need iBooks at this stage. Will use PDFs instead.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ya... This 4.3.3 jailbreak is user land so it's not bootrom etc... So it is untethered. Don't really need iBooks at this stage. Will use PDFs instead.

Which... you read in iBooks, which is broken. Oops!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which... you read in iBooks, which is broken. Oops!

Nah, only DRM'ed iBooks is broken. Non-DRM'ed iBooks and PDFs are fine. I guess I'm being "punished" for jailbreaking by not being able to read the very books I paid money for and obtain legitimately.

DRM for books is as silly as DRM for music. Most books are available as pirated PDFs, since it seems easy for pirates to strip the DRM from books and so on bought online as "secure DRM" PDFs. But the fear of piracy is always there... I don't know how it works on Kindle and what not. But on iBooks DRM seems... unnecessary.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,250member
    FYI, this is what IT guys are reading on the PDF exploit dangers on iOS:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201..._pm_2011-07-07

"Malformed files that exploit the vulnerability have been publicly posted on the Internet. . .

And those PDFs could be used by miscreants to hack iOS devices simply by luring users to malicious sites, said Andrew Storms, director of security operations at nCircle Security.

iPhone and iPad users steered to a malicious PDF -- via a link embedded in an email, for instance -- would not receive any warning or be required to take additional action.

"This is a click-and-pwn kind of situation since the user is not prompted to confirm opening the file," said Storms, referring to the term used by researchers to describe hijacking a device.

IMO, this one is a pretty gaping hole. All the discussion about jailbreaking misses the important point. The article isn't about the pro's and con's of it. Every iOS device is currently susceptible to being hijacked. So watch those PDF's guys. Hopefully Network World's guess of a fix within another day or two is on target.