Briefly: Adobe notes Lion-related 'known issues'; Samsung and iPad 2; B2B volume apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 22 of 44
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    One nice thing Adobe does have a note on is the (admittedly simple) process of installing Java on Lion (via Apple still) for anyone who's interested.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90908.html
  • Reply 23 of 44
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

real-world Mac users enjoy Adobe products and find good value in them.

Well, let's not get carried away...

http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/
  • Reply 24 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So Apple make a host of changes which negatively affect the way Adobe products work and it is Adobe's fault?...

Yes, it is.

Any software vendor has to constantly update their software, it's part of being in the business at all. It's also "standard procedure" that all operating systems evolve and change over time as well. These are known facts and almost the baseline for what's necessary to succeed in the software business.

Apple, like most platform vendors, gives developers unprecedented access to these changes and ample notice (sometimes years ahead), of the changes ahead. They also help them by providing them with free tools to develop and update their products for their particular operating system.

It is indeed Adobe's responsibility to update their products in a timely fashion for the changes in the underlying operating systems on which they offer their products. It is 100% Adobe's fault if their product isn't ready in time.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    deleted
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Does anyone know how or if you can remove your login ID from being displayed in the menu bar on Lion? Why would anyone want that? Seriously, you still have to go to the Apple menu to log off, that is my only complaint thus far.

Why would they do that?!?!?!
  • Reply 27 of 44
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    Anybody here actually using a current Adobe product that's not behaving under Lion? Just curious. The only problem area listed on Adobe's FAQ page seems to be old PPC generated Droplets not working. Anything SERIOUS going on out there?
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

The only problem area listed on Adobe's FAQ page seems to be old PPC generated Droplets not working. Anything SERIOUS going on out there?

Macworld's summary:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1612...7/cs_lion.html
  • Reply 29 of 44
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    Pretty slim list of minor incompatibilities. Somehow, I'm not too surprised that Flash problems seem the most serious...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Macworld's summary:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1612...7/cs_lion.html

• Reply 30 of 44
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Seems that a number of those "known issues" are in fact really "working as designed" or "we haven't updated our apps yet to take full advantage of the new features in the new OS"

The opposite scrolling for example - that is a change in the default behavior of the OS - which can easily be reversed if you so choose. That is NOT an "known issue" between Adobe products and OS X 10.7
  • Reply 31 of 44
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:

So you make an excellent point: outside of these fan forums, real-world Mac users enjoy Adobe products and find good value in them.

Where are you getting this silly notion that people buy Photoshop because it is the most enjoyable design program out there? That isn?t how it works. The vast majority of my colleagues and design-related friends put up with Photoshop because they have to. Not because they want to.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    deleted
  • Reply 33 of 44
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yes, it is.

Any software vendor has to constantly update their software, it's part of being in the business at all. It's also "standard procedure" that all operating systems evolve and change over time as well. These are known facts and almost the baseline for what's necessary to succeed in the software business.

Apple, like most platform vendors, gives developers unprecedented access to these changes and ample notice (sometimes years ahead), of the changes ahead. They also help them by providing them with free tools to develop and update their products for their particular operating system.

It is indeed Adobe's responsibility to update their products in a timely fashion for the changes in the underlying operating systems on which they offer their products. It is 100% Adobe's fault if their product isn't ready in time.

How much advance notice did developers receive for the official Lion release date?
  • Reply 34 of 44
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:

But of course. In spite of there being so many more richly-featured and affordable alternatives, the uber-evil Adobe clan is stalking graphic designers around the world, holding a gun to their head and demanding that they buy Photoshop.

Obviously you're correct and design firms willingly blow tens of thousands of dollars in order to facetiously complain about the application rather than use 'more richly-featured and affordable alternatives'. There's definitely no infrastructure, support or other related issues at all.

You'd also be kind to note the fact my post wasn't laden with the usual "ADOBE IS THE DEVIL!" rubbish - the wording I used was '[not] the most enjoyable'. I find After Effects to be much more intuitive and that's an Adobe product. So please cut out the strawmanning.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I won't be updating my OS from SL until all the bugs are fixed. I spend a LOT of time on YouTube.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So Apple make a host of changes which negatively affect the way Adobe products work and it is Adobe's fault?

People's attitude to Adobe are so funny. Lord Steve calls them evil and all the peasants dutifully grab their pitch forks, tar, feathers and rope and set of en masse to attack them.

I remember back in the '90 when Apple was in serious danger of going under, Apple was deeply concerned for Adobe to continue to making software that ran on Macs and bent over backwards to keep them happy.

Get your head out of your rectum. The point is that the OS has been available to developers for a long time now and Adobe could have been working on updates that would be available upon release if they had put the necessary resources behind it. And as to your comments about Adobe in the 90's, it is in fact Adobe that was screwing over apple at the time by shifting focus to the inferior and seriously flawed wintel platform after they built their company on Apple's back.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Please Apple, buy Adobe and gut the pig! Clean out the top management (an oxymoron at adobe), and whip the programers into a frenzy of making adobe products easy to use, and OS X compliant. And at the same time, put windoze development on the back burner. This company is grossly mismanaged.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

I won't be updating my OS from SL until all the bugs are fixed. I spend a LOT of time on YouTube.

Commenting?
  • Reply 39 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

But of course. In spite of there being so many more richly-featured and affordable alternatives, the uber-evil Adobe clan is stalking graphic designers around the world, holding a gun to their head and demanding that they buy Photoshop.

What alternatives approach Photoshop's ecosystem? There's more than a bit of a network effect going on, if you want certain third party plug-ins or effects, or you need good file compatibility from a disparate set of users, whatever alternatives you allude to may not be a real option. For example, when I suggested Pixelmator as a possible option to investigate, someone quickly zinged off ten things Pixelmator doesn't do that's needed for a variety of tasks, and this was from a happy user of Pixelmator that I recall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

If that's your main problem, you can try to switch on YouTube's HTML 5 mode:

http://www.youtube.com/html5
  • Reply 40 of 44
    I am having this Flash issue and the fix in the article doesn't work!!

I can tab around the window but nothing clicks the boxes!! I tried space, return and every other key including the mouse click, any body else have any luck??