Lion problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Install went fine, except when I drag any file from the desktop to the HD, I have to enter a password to drop the file to the hard drive. Each time...

Exact wording:

"The item “On A Clear Day.mp3” can’t be moved because “KJ HD” can’t be modified."

Then it gives me the option to authenticate or cancel. If I authenticate, I have to do it over again when I drag another file.

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Why are you dragging files into your root folder? You really don't want to mess around in the root directory. Permissions are set automatically to reflect that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Why are you dragging files into your root folder? You really don't want to mess around in the root directory. Permissions are set automatically to reflect that.

You'd be surprised at the SHEER NUMBER of people who treat Macintosh HD as... wait for it, not a folder in their User Documents folder, not their Documents folder, but as a dump box for EVERYTHING they might put on their computer.

You're having trouble doing this because you shouldn't be doing it. Stop it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Install went fine, except when I drag any file from the desktop to the HD, I have to enter a password to drop the file to the hard drive. Each time...

Exact wording:

"The item ?On A Clear Day.mp3? can?t be moved because ?KJ HD? can?t be modified."

Then it gives me the option to authenticate or cancel. If I authenticate, I have to do it over again when I drag another file.

Thanks,

It's like carelessly throwing trash out the window everytime and then being surprised there is a mountain of trash blocking your front door...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Exact wording:

"The item “On A Clear Day.mp3” can’t be moved because “KJ HD” can’t be modified."

Thanks,

This is a default behaviour as the root directory of the HD is only meant for system files. Anything you put on it directly will require Authentication. If you want, create a folder on the root directory and then drag whatever you want into that folder and you won't have to keep authenticating. But this is not recommended.

It is recommended to keep all your files in your Home folder only. None of your files should be on the root directory (C: \\ for Windows users). Also because it will be accessible by other Users of the computer.