Apple opening new LA area retail store 600 feet from existing outlet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think cricket pitches would be similarly unclear.

In Australia we would use metres for anything under 1 kilometre, and then (eg) 2.6km for anything longer.

Where do you draw the line at using feet? Above 10,000? Above 100,000?

It just feels as though no-one would instinctively know how far 4000 feet is (particularly given that Imperial is not a base 10 system), and that they would mentally have to recalculate this in yards or miles then anyway? Seems pretty odd.

Kilometre? Never heard of it

Here in the U.S., the limit for using feet as a practical everyday unit of measure is about 100,000. For example, in aeronautics, it is still common to express altitude in feet ("the SR71 has a maximum altitude of 85,000 ft"), gradually switching to miles as you pass 100,000.

As for the yard, it does not get used very much, except in sports (mainly American football, known in the U.S. as simply football). I suspect the reason is that the foot and yard differ by a factor of 3, making the yard mostly redundant as a unit of measure here. I mean, if you use meters, why would you ever use the decameter?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    I was just in the Glendale Galleria today, and unless my memory is faulty, it appears that the Apple Store is in a slightly different location than I remember it. Or maybe it's the remodel that's throwing me.

Although the Americana is the Grove on steroids (capped by overpriced condos and apartments that Caruso & Co. is having trouble moving), it's a smart place to put the Apple Store because of all the walking traffic. The only benefit of the Galleria now is the A/C during the summer.

--GTSC
  • Reply 23 of 23
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Kilometre? Never heard of it

Here in the U.S., the limit for using feet as a practical everyday unit of measure is about 100,000. For example, in aeronautics, it is still common to express altitude in feet ("the SR71 has a maximum altitude of 85,000 ft"), gradually switching to miles as you pass 100,000.

As for the yard, it does not get used very much, except in sports (mainly American football, known in the U.S. as simply football). I suspect the reason is that the foot and yard differ by a factor of 3, making the yard mostly redundant as a unit of measure here. I mean, if you use meters, why would you ever use the decameter?

Great, thanks for the explanation.