Apple expected to launch next-gen 'iPhone 5' in October - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's not a 100% certainty, but in the past a "product transition" has always referred to Apple dropping a product, adding a new product, merging two product lines into one, or some combination of these. An expected new version of a product they already sell doesn't really affect the bottom line in the same way.

A new version of the iPhone, however changed or delayed, is not something that could properly be called a "product transition." Anything can happen, but I would expect they are talking about something else.

Personally, I think the addition of iCloud, that just so happens to coincide with iPhone 5, is a pretty huge transition.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Still more rumors to manipulate Apple's stock price by claiming another "delay". Who are the sources for this rumor? These rumors belong on rumor sites and not here.

Did you really just say those rumors belong on a rumor site??????????????
  • Reply 23 of 38
    ...In the mean time, we'll have to settle for this.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Maybe the new iPhone has smaller margins than the first, and/or they release a new lower-end model with smaller margins that they expect to take some share from the high end, and/or they start selling the iPhone 4 for $50 when they release the new model and expect a lot of people to settle for that instead. I'm not sure how else they would allude to an event like this in their conference call without giving away too much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Personally, I think the addition of iCloud, that just so happens to coincide with iPhone 5, is a pretty huge transition.

Well as I said it's not a 100% certainty at all, but "product transitions" usually refer to something serious. It could even be a reference to the dropping of the MacBook which has already happened and thus there is nothing more to expect at all.

My best guess is that since it's a "product transition" before the end of September, and September is back to school month, that it involves a new iPod touch or a realignment of the iPod touch line, or both.

It should be noted however, that this is partially based on my (somewhat irrational) hope that the new cases we have been seeing are for the iPod touch and not the iPhone 5 because I just can't get my head around the idea of Apple making an iPhone 5 that ugly.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I find it interesting that these knock-offs are reported to be "based on the case designed reported last week," but are obviously not tapered and don't have the silent switch on the other side as the cases indicated.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

After seeing pics of these "clones", two questions leap to mind...

1. Did the designer base the design of these phones on the schematics of the recently leaked cases alone, or is it based on insider access to the real phone?

2. If this is based on the real phone, what is that back material made of?

I have to say, of all the mock-ups posted the last few weeks/months, this phone looks far and away the best. I hope this is a copy of the real iPhone5. If so, then I am drooling already. If not, I'll still upgrade as my 3Gs is already past mandatory retirement age.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Well as I said it's not a 100% certainty at all, but "product transitions" usually refer to something serious. It could even be a reference to the dropping of the MacBook which has already happened and thus there is nothing more to expect at all.

Dropping the iPhone 4 would entail significant supply disruption and so would count as a product transition. If they dropped both the 4 & 3GS in favour of two wholly new models that would be a very significant product transition.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

It should be noted however, that this is partially based on my (somewhat irrational) hope that the new cases we have been seeing are for the iPod touch and not the iPhone 5 because I just can't get my head around the idea of Apple making an iPhone 5 that ugly.

I think you need to take a step back, and breathe, and realize that you don't even know what the phone will look like yet. The leaked cases may not be based on the right info or the right device. But even if they are, different case manufacturers have differing levels of quality, and the phone that fits into said cases may not be as bad as you are expecting. Wait and see what Apple brings to the table.

Now, if your anticipated disappointment is stemming solely from the idea that that Apple may be going away from the iPhone4 design aesthetic, then I think you need to prepare for this eventuality sooner rather than later. Everything now seems to point to Apple significantly changing the design with iPhone 5. And you shouldn't assume you won't like the new design. Give it a chance. If anyone can surprise you, it will be Apple. And, if you hate the iP5 on sight, then just go for a cheaper iP4, or wait for the 6.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    I think the leaked cases are waaay too thick for an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    I hope that Apple leaked some fake case design plans and all the companies creating cases for a phone that has not even been announced get stuck with millions of crappy cases they can't sell.

The rumors we get these days are garbage. Nothing ever very insightful on the technology or product design, just a bunch of noise generated by supply chain speculators and financial analysts who get paid to make silly projections that are never true. People spreading false rumors in hope they gain financially. If you spread a rumor that is false, punishment by life in prison in solitary confinement would be fitting.

If you are a whiner who complains that some product that has not even been announced is delayed or that this unannounced product doesn't have the new features or technology that you want then you should be punished by a public flogging posted on YouTube.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think you need to take a step back, and breathe, and realize that you don't even know what the phone will look like yet. The leaked cases may not be based on the right info or the right device. But even if they are, different case manufacturers have differing levels of quality, and the phone that fits into said cases may not be as bad as you are expecting. Wait and see what Apple brings to the table.

Now, if your anticipated disappointment is stemming solely from the idea that that Apple may be going away from the iPhone4 design aesthetic, then I think you need to prepare for this eventuality sooner rather than later. Everything now seems to point to Apple significantly changing the design with iPhone 5. And you shouldn't assume you won't like the new design. Give it a chance. If anyone can surprise you, it will be Apple. And, if you hate the iP5 on sight, then just go for a cheaper iP4, or wait for the 6.

Well, I agree in that I was pointedly owning up to the possible bias I might have, but that doesn't make my concerns unreasonable per se as you seem to imply.

I completely disagree that "Everything now seems to point to Apple significantly changing the design.." I think you've just been reading too many blogs. I would argue that other than these cases there is absolutely no indications of a significant redesign, and that Apple's track record also argues strongly against it.

Apple rarely makes a stupid, ugly, or one-off product, so I have much hope that the next iPhone will be worth buying. For that same reason however, it's quite unlikely in my view that they will be moving *backwards* (as the rumours suggest), and making the new iPhone the same shape and general size as the 3G or the iPod touch. Maybe all the rumours are right and that's what they are doing but it would be very unusual for Apple to do that.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I predict enormous disappointment when the next iPhone doesn't match the hype being thrown its way. Everybody is predicting some feature or other. When that feature isn't present in the next phone, the lamenting will begin.

Nope - I'm still on a 3G (not 3Gs), and will buy an iphone 5 regardless. There's no doubt that it will be better than iphone 4. Why all the delay just for another iphone 4 under a different name.

Sounds logical to me, but I'm just that way.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Dropping the iPhone 4 would entail significant supply disruption and so would count as a product transition. If they dropped both the 4 & 3GS in favour of two wholly new models that would be a very significant product transition.

But didn't they say iphone 4 & 3GS would be supported in iOS 5? Doesn't the code already have in it place holders for an iphone5? Wouldn't there be another place holder for a newer iphone, along with the iphone 5, if they were going to create TWO new models?
  • Reply 34 of 38
    It better be September... I don't know how much longer my 3g will hold together.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Given that iOS 5 is 'coming this fall', and that Apple held up releasing the new Airs until Lion was released, the earliest the 'iPhone 5' will be released is likely Sept 21. So an October release is very plausible, maybe even probable.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Well, I agree in that I was pointedly owning up to the possible bias I might have, but that doesn't make my concerns unreasonable per se as you seem to imply.

I completely disagree that "Everything now seems to point to Apple significantly changing the design.." I think you've just been reading too many blogs. I would argue that other than these cases there is absolutely no indications of a significant redesign, and that Apple's track record also argues strongly against it.

Apple rarely makes a stupid, ugly, or one-off product, so I have much hope that the next iPhone will be worth buying. For that same reason however, it's quite unlikely in my view that they will be moving *backwards* (as the rumours suggest), and making the new iPhone the same shape and general size as the 3G or the iPod touch. Maybe all the rumours are right and that's what they are doing but it would be very unusual for Apple to do that.

I'm sure you are right on this. I read way too many blogs/rumors on Apple.

I will say though that while blogs and rumors can easily be wrong, there are usually some sources that turn out to be correct. Sometimes this is coincidence, and sometimes it is due to leaked info. The hard part is knowing which rumors to believe. Personally, I believe that a 16 month refresh time (instead of the usual 12 months), along with both real and perceived antenna issues and the breakage issues with the back glass panel all point toward a significant redesign.

We have heard rumors that Apple execs no longer favor the iPhone 4 design, but this may be false. We have heard rumor of Apple testing iPhone 5 guts inside an iPhone 4 enclosure to be able to test the new devices while flying under the radar. This could also be false, but Apple would totally do this. It only makes sense after finding the iPhone4 was in a special case that made it look like a 3Gs during testing.

If you believe otherwise that it will be very similar to an iPhone 4, then that's fine. You could easily turn out to be correct. Likewise, we could both be wrong. Maybe its some sort of hybrid. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

Nope - I'm still on a 3G (not 3Gs), and will buy an iphone 5 regardless. There's no doubt that it will be better than iphone 4. Why all the delay just for another iphone 4 under a different name.

Sounds logical to me, but I'm just that way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamdeadfish View Post

It better be September... I don't know how much longer my 3g will hold together.

I'm in the same boat. My 3G is gasping for air. All it can do is make calls (never drops!), check emails and play 3 Card Poker when I'm on the crapper.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Back before most anyone was saying that this years WWDC wouldn't play host to an announcement, John Gruber of daringfireball.net started claiming that we wouldn't see anything from Apple about the "iPhone 5" until September. I completely disregarded his claim, mostly out of utter disappointment that I wouldn't be getting a new phone in a couple months, but I couldn't deny his logic.

He put it together that the iPod line, while still somewhat important to Apple's overall bottom line, was, and still is, exponentially dropping in popularity. Because of this, it simply didn't make sense for Apple to devote the entire September event to the iPod line alone. On the other hand, the iPhone is exploding in popularity and complexity, making it more difficult to properly explain and demonstrate during the already information packed WWDC keynote address. If you think about it, demoing new hardware during the softwarecentric WWDC never really made sense in the first place. Combining the announcement of the iPhone and the iPod lineup makes too much sense to postpone any longer.

I'm pegging the announcement to fall sometime during the first week or two of September and the release to fall somewhere in the last 2 weeks.