'Ultrabook' makers squeezed by Apple's control of metal chassis supply

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    there is a huge difference between fiberglass & carbon fiber.

heat doesn't kill cf. it is used to make brakes for virtually all the racing cars and also high line vehicles such as bmw. fuselage on the boeing 787 dreamliner is a major user of cf. and it's not cheap!

it is also lighter and stronger than aluminum. apple is definitely testing its potential use for their iphones & computers.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Never mind... sorry... just re-read your post... okay... I'm stumped. Jeff might have the answer...

That was quoted from the Taiwan fiberglass maker Mitak Precision - not the author. Reading for comprehension - an enduring concept?
  • Reply 23 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Even if the numbers are exaggerated, I still don't get it. $10 is $10. How does it become $100. Remember this is a savings, right? So the case costs $10 less to make in fiberglass than of metal. How does this become a $100 savings at retail? It's still just a savings of $10.

$10 is the cost of the raw material. The fiberglass maker indicated it would be a $20 savings for a finished chasis to the computer maker. After they build the unit they sell it to retail at a markup and then the retailer marks it up. It still sounds too optimistic even if they use keystone pricing. But it appears this was the fiberglass production company making the savings claim(Mitek something or other) so I'm sure they want to put it in the best light.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Do you feel better now? Flexed your knowledge now you can continue your smarter than you complex. People like you humor me, comment has no real opinion on the article, just a need to be extra particular. Reminds me of Mike Tirico (not that you know who he is as I'm sure sports are beneath your IQ), if someone says the ball went 301yards he'll correct them and say actually it went 302 - who the hell cares it's in the general area. Lastly, speaking of tools, you are one.

/ghost

Great. Now we have a contribution from Mr. "Proud to be ignorant."
  • Reply 25 of 156
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    Looking forward to telling the next whiner why they are buying such an expensive piece of shiny junk when they could have bought an Apple instead!

We'll call it the "Ultra-Tax"!!
  • Reply 26 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacekid View Post

I'm waiting for the transparent aluminum.

--Scotty handed a mouse and speaks into it "...Hello Computer"

--"Just use the keyboard."

--"Keyboard, How quaint."
  • Reply 27 of 156
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I find it more interesting that Intel would be pushing PC manufacturers to copy Apple, one of Intel's customers. Why would Intel care about the design of the Chassis of PC makers provided everybody is using Intel processors? My guess is Intel is concerned Apple will switch to ARM processors for its Notebooks. Apple is already taking sales away from Intel when people buy an iPad over a traditional computer.
  • Reply 28 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yet another example of sheep having to copy Apple! Jeez will it ever end? Good luck with heat dissipation with fiberglass not to mention durability and the look and feel. BTW this reminds me, I wonder what happened to Apple's Liquid Glass venture?

I don't know that I would call anyone "sheep". Most successful ideas & designs in the market get copied. No one copied the Air until they started selling like hotcakes.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    kit_ckit_c Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Do you feel better now? Flexed your knowledge now you can continue your smarter than you complex. People like you humor me, comment has no real opinion on the article, just a need to be extra particular. Reminds me of Mike Tirico (not that you know who he is as I'm sure sports are beneath your IQ), if someone says the ball went 301yards he'll correct them and say actually it went 302 - who the hell cares it's in the general area. Lastly, speaking of tools, you are one.

/ghost

This is my first post. I registered just to say that this was way out of line. The article had a fundamental error, there is no foul in pointing it out.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    Quote:

/ghost

Listen, if someone is going report a story with facts, be sure to get them right. That's what editors and proofreaders are for. They were right to critique the story. It was just dead wrong. If we didn't have our mistakes ever corrected, how would we learn. It DOES make a difference. Even if you don't think so.
  • Reply 31 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

$10 is the cost of the raw material. The fiberglass maker indicated it would be a $20 savings for a finished chasis to the computer maker. After they build the unit they sell it to retail at a markup and then the retailer marks it up. It still sounds too optimistic even if they use keystone pricing. But it appears this was the fiberglass production company making the savings claim(Mitek something or other) so I'm sure they want to put it in the best light.

But the article said it would be a $100 savings at retail, not a $100 markup. How can something that only saves $10 (wholesale?) result in a $100 savings (retail)? Are manufacturers really willing to lower the retail price of their box by $90? They wouldn't just take that extra $90 in profit? Business really baffles me.

Quote:

That could equate to savings of $50 to $100 at retail, according to Taiwan fiberglass maker Mitak Precision

• Reply 32 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

That was quoted from the Taiwan fiberglass maker Mitak Precision - not the author. Reading for comprehension - an enduring concept?

How about get the fuck off my back for an enduring concept...
  • Reply 33 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post

This is my first post. I registered just to say that this was way out of line. The article had a fundamental error, there is no foul in pointing it out.

Absolutely right! Very good!
  • Reply 34 of 156
    Regardless of the form factors the *copyist's* will ultimately deliver, they are still lacking a OS that supports that 'Ultra' form factor. Apple has gone a long way in integrating touch and gestures into OSX that bring the full power and simplicity of the user experience to life in that small form factor. I could not imagine dealing with a Win7 OS without the support of a dedicated external mouse.

Edit <Hardware> sigh...
  • Reply 35 of 156
    Quote:

/ghost

Seems harsh. It was a simple correction with no attitude. Maybe your taking your anger at that Tirico fellow out on someone else?

btw I enjoy sports but don't know who Mike Tirico is. Not sure where that puts my IQ.
  • Reply 36 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

there is a huge difference between fiberglass & carbon fiber.

heat doesn't kill cf. it is used to make brakes for virtually all the racing cars and also high line vehicles such as bmw. fuselage on the boeing 787 dreamliner is a major user of cf. and it's not cheap!

it is also lighter and stronger than aluminum. apple is definitely testing its potential use for their iphones & computers.

However the article references Mitak Precision a fiberglass fabricator, not a carbon fiber fabricator and the reference was to using fiberglass, not carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is expensive to fabricate, requires highly skilled labor and specialized equipment. Your components would cost significantly MORE than milled aluminum not less, as stated in the article. I don't know if Apple would use it as it adds significant cost to the device... just musing here.
  • Reply 37 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I find it more interesting that Intel would be pushing PC manufacturers to copy Apple, one of Intel's customers. Why would Intel care about the design of the Chassis of PC makers provided everybody is using Intel processors? My guess is Intel is concerned Apple will switch to ARM processors for its Notebooks. Apple is already taking sales away from Intel when people buy an iPad over a traditional computer.

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Intel wants manufacturers to stay Intel customers. By providing them a prepackaged kit, they may persuade manufacturers from looking at alternatives (ARM-based systems for instance). It would certainly be easier to adapt an Intel-provided package than develop your own.
  • Reply 38 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This thread has gone down hill in record time. I blame the Nazis.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

However the article references Mitak Precision a fiberglass fabricator, not a carbon fiber fabricator and the reference was to using fiberglass, not carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is expensive to fabricate, requires highly skilled labor and specialized equipment. Your components would cost significantly MORE than milled aluminum not less, as stated in the article.

I suspect labor costs will go way down once a process for producing millions is perfected. Once you have a method, low-cost labor could manage that assembly line. The specialized equipment is the kiln (autoclave?). A big heater. Not that expensive.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This thread has gone hill in record time. I blame the Nazis.

Halliburton! They're the known cause of all ill will in the world. I have it on authority.