Rise of the Apes - Pay full price, get 1/3 the movie

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I just gotta say, what a jip! Sure, the chimp animations were absolutely stunning but they forgot about the rest of the movie! And only when it gets interesting, sorry, wait for the sequel.

And giving Malfoy the Charlton Heston line was... just a little sad.

A great study in character animation and performance capture, but a rewarding movie, it is not.

RottenTomatoes is all over the place nowadays, just like movies. You just don't know what you're going to get until you see it. 80% on tomatometer.

I rented Sucker Punch yesterday, seeing that it got 4 stars or more on iTunes although the tomatometer said 20% or whatever... Just thought it would be some mindless eye candy but well worth the risk I took. Gaudy, frivolous, gratuitous but oh so satisfying.... Not just because of girls in burlesque outfits shooting stuff but the underlying story between the different worlds is almost... a tiny, tiny bit reminiscent of Inception and The Matrix.

Sucker Punch is well worth the HD rental and at least two sittings.

The "Mayor's Arrival" scene is absolutely brilliant and so deliciously satirical.

Yes, most of the intense sequences are more of a homage to the modern video game genre but it's wrapped in an interesting package.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    SPOILER ALERT FOR RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.... PET PEEVES

SPOILERS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

...I've been to Muir Woods, to frame that as some sort of sanctuary or base for the future uprising (and breeding) is a little far fetched... But wait, we don't have to worry about that because conveniently the humans will be mostly wiped out by a virus... But I thought it was nuclear war? Oh whatever at least my ticket was on my company's dime, a little team-building reward thing, so well.... And yes the Mission to Mars which goes wrong as briefly hinted at in the movie is where the spaceman returns to a future Earth run by apes etc. Quite bizarre how they're launching a manned mission to Mars (using space shuttle technology no less, from the effects shown briefly in a news clip) while the SFPD cars look like they're from today or five years ago. That's blatant laziness. This is a sci-fi film, FFS. This movie should have been called Rise of Caesar not Planet of the Apes. Gawd help anyone that watched the trailer, the helicopter crash was about the most exciting action scene in the whole thing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I think you convinced me to watch Sucker Punch and to ignore Rise...

The summer movie season has been rather lackluster. Captain America is the best movie I've seen this summer. Well, it's the best action movie of the summer. Transformers 3 is like all of the Planet of the Apes sequels and reboots: nothing new and the action doesn't make up for the stale plots. Pirates 4 was entertaining, but was standard fair. Harry Potter was the same kind of thing.

Green Lantern looked bad from the beginning. So didn't see. Light entertainment certainly, but not for $9 tickets and $10 worth of concessions. Didn't see Thor, but wanted to. Next up: Conan reboot.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The Rise animations looked a bit odd to me and I'm not sure I could have gotten over them when watching the film. Now it sounds like there is even more reason to wait until it hits Redbox or whatever.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I think you convinced me to watch Sucker Punch and to ignore Rise...

The summer movie season has been rather lackluster. Captain America is the best movie I've seen this summer. Well, it's the best action movie of the summer. Transformers 3 is like all of the Planet of the Apes sequels and reboots: nothing new and the action doesn't make up for the stale plots. Pirates 4 was entertaining, but was standard fair. Harry Potter was the same kind of thing.

Green Lantern looked bad from the beginning. So didn't see. Light entertainment certainly, but not for $9 tickets and $10 worth of concessions. Didn't see Thor, but wanted to. Next up: Conan reboot.

Yup, if you have any interest in video games or anime Sucker Punch will be interesting. If you don't, just sit back and let it wash over you, even the non-action sequences have good cinematography.

I haven't watched Captain America or Green Lantern, didn't hear too good things about it. Transformers 3 was good for the first 2/3, the last 1/3 I was just like, hurry up, get it over with... Pirates 4 was bad. Clearly struggling to make it fresh. HP7 Part1 was a total ripoff. Hey Harry, I've got a horcrux right here up my a**!!! HP7 Part 2 was decent, a nice conclusion for me having followed the HP movies from the start but never bothering to read the books.

Thor is actually not bad. Worth a viewing. Nothing extraordinary but decent enough and a good take on the Norse(?) mythology. One of the few movies also where Natalie Portman is tolerable.

Conan reboot? My gawd, I wouldn't be touching that with a ten-foot pole.

Tintin shows promise, but again, you never know.

Haven't considered Cars 2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The Rise animations looked a bit odd to me and I'm not sure I could have gotten over them when watching the film. Now it sounds like there is even more reason to wait until it hits Redbox or whatever.

Yup, the animations were excellently done but also "too realistic" so you're in awe at the character effects rather than being immersed in the storyline (which was rather thin).