Inside IOS 5: new Maps features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

Could we have one article without bitterness? Please? Maybe some more Apple is cool stuff, without mentioning anyone else? Pretty Please?

Seems you're taking issue with the assertion that Google has driven map navigation competitors out of their app store, which you can claim is either true or false, but hardly 'bitter'.

Sounds more like you're being a bit defensive.

Fact is that Daniel was unusually complementary to Google features in this article.

And how do you review a product based on a Google web service without mentioning Google?
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What does Google's 3D stuff do for me? I haven't used it, so maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like it adds visual clutter without enhancing my ability to get around. It's not like I'm flying 100 off the ground so that 3D views of the surrounding buildings from that height help orient me.

Well put.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Coming up on 2012 and this is what they change to maps? Really?

at least it's better than the WP7 alternative, but still... really old tech. 3D turn by turn with voice navigation was standard on android in late 09
  • Reply 24 of 45
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Check out Wayz.

It's actually spelled Waze. And yeah, couldn't believe it either. Free turn-by-turn? Plus text-to-voice? Sign me up!
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Others have already studied what Apple has implied they've uniquely discovered with their schematic maps. Think this creation from last year, LineDrive Maps, might be eerily similar to Apple's idea?

http://www.gpsreview.net/line-drive-maps/

Ah... the obligatory "Apple never created anything" meme.

Go rent James Burke's 'Connections' and then talk to me about the nature of originality, creativity and innovation.

EVERYTHING is built on what comes before. Innovation is combining existing things in a way that really takes over.

No doubt many have thought of presenting maps in as simple a form as possible.

Apple combines that with availability on an 'always with you' device, as opposed to the long list of clunky hardware add-ons listed in the link you provide.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Android?s turn-by-turn guidance can be a nightmare (I speak from experience) because it depends on the network?meaning the map you need may be slow to load OR navigation may simply drop out in certain spots. It also fights with phone calls in hilarious (and obnoxious) ways. Android doesn?t seem to handle multiple audio apps at once as well as iOS.

Yes, it?s free. But I got Navigon MyRegion for $15 (often $25), which is practically free, and FAR better than Google directions. All your data is on the device, and no network needed! And it multitasks with other audio (phone calls, Pandora) really well: your music fade a bit, the voice speaks, and the music comes back. You can even multitask more than one GPS at at once on iPhone: I sometimes run Navigon in the background for voice guidance, while keeping Google Earth on the screen for the cool 3D view of my surroundings. Best of both worlds!

Now, I do think Google?s voice guidance is very cool, and it would be neat to have it pre-installed by default. But I consider it only a minor feature: Navigon is well worth $25 and the storage space, and a feature that lets me avoid Navigon isn?t much temptation.

(There are other GPS apps of course, but I know and love Navigon.)

How are you able to justify paying $25 for app just to replace a system app you already have? The point is that Apple should already have had this implemented. Years ago. I don't think users should have to pay $25 to get a half featured maps application.

As for the google maps experience on an android platform, it can handle any audio application (music, google music beta, pandora, etc) while working with the maps application. When your next turn is announced, the volume in your 3rd party apps gets decreased so you can hear the direction.

Obviously it does depend on your network. If there's no service in your area, then maps will not be able to render images. The iphone suffers from the same problem because it has a limited cache. But the google maps application will also give you the directions (minus the 3d navigation) for when you lose service.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

How are you able to justify paying $25 for app just to replace a system app you already have? The point is that Apple should already have had this implemented. Years ago. I don't think users should have to pay $25 to get a half featured maps application.

As for the google maps experience on an android platform, it can handle any audio application (music, google music beta, pandora, etc) while working with the maps application. When your next turn is announced, the volume in your 3rd party apps gets decreased so you can hear the direction.

Obviously it does depend on your network. If there's no service in your area, then maps will not be able to render images. The iphone suffers from the same problem because it has a limited cache. But the google maps application will also give you the directions (minus the 3d navigation) for when you lose service.

+1 on this

additionally, Google recently updated their Maps application so that you can cache your maps offline. A huge bonus, especially say, if you're hiking, and you don't get 3G signal, yet you still get GPS.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

+1 on this

additionally, Google recently updated their Maps application so that you can cache your maps offline. A huge bonus, especially say, if you're hiking, and you don't get 3G signal, yet you still get GPS.

Well damn, even better.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    maguromaguro Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

newest version in iOS 5 ads the ability

and approximate driving times. after selecting a route

ads = advertisements

adds = in addition to

after - Sentences start with capital letters

Is anyone proofreading?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Ah... the obligatory "Apple never created anything" meme.

Go rent James Burke's 'Connections' and then talk to me about the nature of originality, creativity and innovation.

EVERYTHING is built on what comes before. Innovation is combining existing things in a way that really takes over.

No doubt many have thought of presenting maps in as simple a form as possible.

Apple combines that with availability on an 'always with you' device, as opposed to the long list of clunky hardware add-ons listed in the link you provide.

Not at all. Recognizing that Apple might not have "invented" this is not the same as saying Apple never invented anything at all. Thanks for playing False Premises tho.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Not always so easy….

I have had a lot of trouble when using it to do a "get there from here" option. It seems impossible to do sometimes. It is one thing if you start with "From here" but if you are cruising through the maps and trying several options, it can be infuriatingly difficult to figure out- especially if you are in a car trying to drive while another is trying to navigate who is not very good with it at all.

Real PAIN!

Maybe there really is an easy way to do this - but sure not obvious.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    That was a long a** article!
  • Reply 33 of 45
    I've used TomTom and Navigon iPhone apps. Both have it's strengths and weaknesses. I currently have TomTom installed and love it. $25? $40? It's definitely worth it to me. It's actually better than my TomTom standalone GPS.

Just think of internet connected standalone GPS... it's actually better than that on my iPhone 4. My iPhone 4's GPS gets better signal than the standalones.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Damn, just checked prices for Navigon in Australia - $74.99... no chance at that price.

Even at $75 (I got it when it was more expensive).. really?

Let us know how you go after blowing several hundred on a standalone unit, with the stubbornly non-responsive resistive touch screen and when you need to pay for the next map update.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevesabol View Post

I haven't found an iOS turn-by-turn solution that doesn't suck (in my, admittedly, limited search). I've found them hard to use with a cluttered interface. I also haven't liked the iPod integration but that may be a limitation of the iOS APIs.

Any recommendations?

Navigon is the best in my opinion. Have been using it for a while along with TomTom (and their car dock) and I have to say that Navigon gives better direction in chicago area. Not sure about other parts of the country, but from personal experience would recommend Navigon over TomTom.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    So do we know who bought C3 Technologies yes?
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Apple and Google are competitors now. In business, lining a competitor's pockets is never a good thing. When it comes to components, Apple has no choice but to partner up with Samsung, LG, Sharp, and others. The good thing when it comes to component suppliers is that components manufacturing and product design are separate business units. But that's not the case with Google.

Right now, Google has the opportunity to data-mine information off of iOS users and earn revenue off of iOS. Apple should completely get away from Google's services and end their reliance on Google.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

Apple and Google are competitors now. In business, lining a competitor's pockets is never a good thing. When it comes to components, Apple has no choice but to partner up with Samsung, LG, Sharp, and others. The good thing when it comes to component suppliers is that components manufacturing and product design are separate business units. But that's not the case with Google.

Right now, Google has the opportunity to data-mine information off of iOS users and earn revenue off of iOS. Apple should completely get away from Google's services and end their reliance on Google.

You know I just thought about something related today. There is really no apple services on Google's devices. No itunes, no iBooks, no iAds, no iCloud. On the flip side, it seems impossible for apple to ship a device without any google services.

Google search is too good to change to something else. Apple hasn't shipped a maps alternative to google's back end yet and we don't know if it ever will (think street view and transit directions those are hard to replicate on scale of google).

On a more personal level I love gmail and google calendar and google docs. While I view that info natively through corresponding apple apps I just don't see any real alternative that would be as good as google. Perhaps with iCloud it would be a bit easier, but still remains to be seen.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

Could we have one article without bitterness? Please? Maybe some more Apple is cool stuff, without mentioning anyone else? Pretty Please?

I don't think it really is bitter. The article does mention the advantages Google's Maps App has over Apple's own. That is relatively unbiased reporting.

I want it all ... the 3D view and turn-by-turn that Android has and the schemantic view that Apple is trying to patent. And I want it on an iPhone!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Apple's iOS Maps app does cache maps for offline use. I used it quite extensively when I was overseas. I would swipe around my current location and where I was planning to go, when I was on WiFi in the hotel I was staying at, then could use this quite successfully whilst out on the street, without chewing up 3g data (on the ludicrously expensive roaming rate).

Apple iOS Maps app also does show the 3d buildings when you have zoomed in far enough. This has been there from iOS 3.1 or thereabouts.