Inside IOS 5: new Maps features

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will deliver a new iOS 5 release this fall, including improvements from the core OS to developer APIs to the interface seen by customers. Among these new changes is a revamped Maps app.

Whats new in Maps

Apple's iOS Maps app is a front end client to the Google Maps web service. While it was rumored that Apple might build its own mapping service or switch to another provider like Microsoft Bing, iOS 5 continues to use Google Maps for its data.

Apple's cleverly easy to use iOS Maps app with direct multitouch manipulation has been confused for being a Google invention. Instead, it simply pulls data from Google and presents it in a way that's simple and fast to browse, making it about as essential as Mobile Safari, and of course much easier to use (particularly for mobile users) than the generic web client Google offers within the browser.

Apple has incrementally added features to its iOS Maps client, including transit and walking directions. The newest version in iOS 5 ads the ability to print maps via AirPrint, as well as emphasizing its suggested directional paths using a glossy, three dimensional tube line.

The new iOS 5 Maps app also has a new feature that suggests multiple routes, allowing the user to chose between a few options before stepping through the directions to the destination. Below, there are three options given for driving from Pixar to Apple, and selecting between them shows distance and approximate driving times. after selecting a route, Maps' directions will then fetch detailed instructions.

iOS Maps vs Google Maps for Android

Apple's Maps client doesn't do everything Google Map's own web client can do, and even lacks some of the features of Google's Android mobile maps client. For example, there's no way to browse in "Google Earth" perspective view, taking advantage of the 3D buildings Google has on its servers. Google has promoted this as a unique feature of tablets running Android 3.0 Honeycomb as part of that operating system's overall 3D interface.

On the iPhone, there's no terrain view showing topography (although the iPad version currently offers this). There's also no support for Google Maps Navigation, a turn by turn service Google began similarly promoting as a unique feature of Google Maps for Android smartphones.

Google's own Maps client for Android also incorporates the company's Places (a clone of Yelp) and Latitude (a clone Loopt). Apple is unlikely to ever add support for either of Google's map add-on services, and also looks unlikely to add Google Navigation support, all of which would directly encroach upon third party iOS developers.

In contrast, Google created Android primarily with the intent of making sure that mobile users were using its services. It therefore has little concern for third party developers of GPS or other location based apps that its Google Maps Navigation app for Android has essentially pushed out of the market.

On the horizon for Maps

Rather than incorporating additional dependence upon Google's proprietary maps enhancements, Apple appears interested in building its own mapping features and client-side enhancements, and may eventually wean itself off of Google's map service entirely, allowing the company to either open up its iOS Maps client to competing map services (as Apple has done in opening mobile web search up to Yahoo and Bing), or potentially building its own maps backend.

Either route toward non-Google mapping would be complex, in part because Apple's Maps client has close integration with Google's map service, but also because Apple weaves a mapping API throughout iOS to enable third parties to present interactive maps within their own apps. While Microsoft, for example, makes its own tools that allow developers to incorporate Bing maps into their apps, Apple's APIs currently only work with Google's mapping service.

Apple was rumored to begin taking steps away from Google maps as early as iOS 5, but that clearly hasn't materialized. At the same time, there is evidence that Apple is looking at enhancing the way it presents maps independently from Google. A recent patent filing for "Schematic Maps" shows Apple is interested in presenting mobile maps that show simplified information, rather than a very complex map including "confusing and inefficient" amounts of detail.

Apple already maintains its own database of location data, and stated it was working on crowd sourcing traffic data that would eventually make it into shipping products in the next couple years.

The company has also acquired small companies with mapping expertise, including Placebase in 2009 and Poly9 last year. The company has also stated an intention to "radically" improve its iPhone Maps application in a recent job listing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    I think the schematic maps idea is neat - will look forwards to seeing what comes of that.

As for the changes in iOS 5, I'm very much liking being able to pick from multiple suggested routes - that's a great addition.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope Apple's mapping licensing, acquisitions and patents come to a head soon. Hopefully as a new feature demoed on the iPhone 5 in the Fall.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    While iPhone Maps is one of my favorite apps, I think it's also sometimes one of the most difficult to use.

And while I'm faithful to the iPhone, I do think the ONE huge advantage Android has over the iPhone is their Maps feature. The 3D is cool, and have Navigation built-in is really cool!

I realize there's a small, perhaps thriving, 3d-party market for Navigation apps on the iPhone. But this is really something I wish Apple will build in.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    I haven't found an iOS turn-by-turn solution that doesn't suck (in my, admittedly, limited search). I've found them hard to use with a cluttered interface. I also haven't liked the iPod integration but that may be a limitation of the iOS APIs.

Any recommendations?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevesabol View Post

I haven't found an iOS turn-by-turn solution that doesn't suck (in my, admittedly, limited search). I've found them hard to use with a cluttered interface. I also haven't liked the iPod integration but that may be a limitation of the iOS APIs.

Any recommendations?

What have you tried?
  • Reply 6 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:

Any recommendations?

Check out Wayz.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member
    Quote:

In contrast, Google created Android primarily with the intent of making sure that mobile users were using its services.

Could we have one article without bitterness? Please? Maybe some more Apple is cool stuff, without mentioning anyone else? Pretty Please?
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

Any recommendations?

It depends on whether or not you are willing to pay a bit for it. I've got Tomtom and think it's great.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Any recommendations?

One of the oldest turn-by-turn nav apps for the iPhone is from Tom Tom. It's pretty good, and was first to the mobile market with several features. But in the past year TomTom seems to have lost interest in further development of it IMO. The feature set is starting to lag behind it's competitors. And the supposed "live" traffic in the US isn't at all like the European live traffic reporting. There's no crowd-sourcing of gps-enabled phones like the Vodaphone partnership in GB or elsewhere in Europe, with the US version reported as less-reliable by users.

Navigon's Mobile Navigator is more widely used than TomTom's, and better rated by users last I knew. I personally prefer some of their features, with several unmatched by TT. Note that Navigon is owned by Garmin.

Then there's also Garmin's own recently released navigation app for iOS. Unlike it's Android counterpart, the maps are stored on-board rather than on-demand. Having been released in just the past week, the quality/value isn't yet clear. Historically Garmin has been solid with their navigation offerings.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

Could we have one article without bitterness? Please? Maybe some more Apple is cool stuff, without mentioning anyone else? Pretty Please?

I don't see that as bitter. It's simply true. And the fact that Android is designed to push Google services onto mobile devices has a bearing on how Google deploys and maintains certain features on their mobile OS. Which different from how Apple deploys and maintains features on their mobile OS.

So in an article on what iOS's mapping services look like, it's pretty natural to talk about how they stack up against the competition, particularly since those service are utilizing the competitions underlying database. And it then makes sense to consider if there are any structural or strategic reasons for perceived differences, beyond engineering chops.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What does Google's 3D stuff do for me? I haven't used it, so maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like it adds visual clutter without enhancing my ability to get around. It's not like I'm flying 100 off the ground so that 3D views of the surrounding buildings from that height help orient me.

People often say it's "cool", but is it helpful in any way beyond eye candy?

I can actually see Google's 3D and Apple's proposed "schematic" maps as being points of divergence between the two companies' approach to mapping. For Google, more info is always better, and they like to show off what their engineers can accomplish. I can see Google's Android maps becoming ever more cluttered, with an ever more complex interface to handle all the possible options (Google X-Ray view! Google avatar chat view! Google material composition analysis view!).

Whereas it strikes me as quintessentially Apple to think a while about what people actually typically want maps for and make that as clean and accessible as possible. And, of course, the Android faithful will glance up format their pulsating, morphing, data encrusted maps and declare Apple's approach to be "boring" and "dated."
  • Reply 12 of 45
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The one change that I would like to see in Apple's Maps app is a much, much larger data cache. The programmers seem to have made two assumptions:

1. that all users would always have a data connection to the Internet everywhere they went, and

2. that only a some KBs of storage would be available for caching map data.

Both of these assumptions are wrong and result in very limited usability of the app. At least an order of magnitude increase in cached map data is required to make the app generally usable.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    I don't drive regularly but when I do, I like to have a GPS unit in my car rental specially if I'm driving in an unknown city. I've tried using my iPhone but frankly, it's dangerous to use while driving. Besides not having any spoken directions, you have to constantly fiddle with the Maps app to figure out where you are and where you're going.

I've been hoping for Apple to catch up to Android on their maps app but it seems that we're not getting a proper navigation app, just an improved maps app. This is a critical app in any smartphone and Apple seems like they're having a hard time keeping up.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Any recommendations?

I've used Navigon, both here and in Europe, for turn-by-turn. Great experience. Price for US version is reasonable, whereas the European version was more pricey, but absolutely essential if you are driving there.

You don't need the extra charges for the 3D effect, or for traffic, in my opinion, although some may find it useful if you are commuting - but then again, you typically don't need traffic for day to day navigation, and I use it for out of town use mostly.

I also use it for point-of-interest searches, since Google doesn't give turn by turn on the iphone, but Navigon also uses Google search to hunt for POI's also,which makes uploading the navigation into the Navigon seamless.

Anyhow, Navigon and Tom-tom seem to be the most recommended, at least for iphone and ipad use.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Whereas it strikes me as quintessentially Apple to think a while about what people actually typically want maps for and make that as clean and accessible as possible. And, of course, the Android faithful will glance up format their pulsating, morphing, data encrusted maps and declare Apple's approach to be "boring" and "dated."

Others have already studied what Apple has implied they've uniquely discovered with their schematic maps. Think this creation from last year, LineDrive Maps, might be eerily similar to Apple's idea?

http://www.gpsreview.net/line-drive-maps/
  • Reply 16 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Android?s turn-by-turn guidance can be a nightmare (I speak from experience) because it depends on the network?meaning the map you need may be slow to load OR navigation may simply drop out in certain spots. It also fights with phone calls in hilarious (and obnoxious) ways. Android doesn?t seem to handle multiple audio apps at once as well as iOS.

Yes, it?s free. But I got Navigon MyRegion for $15 (often $25), which is practically free, and FAR better than Google directions. All your data is on the device, and no network needed! And it multitasks with other audio (phone calls, Pandora) really well: your music fade a bit, the voice speaks, and the music comes back. You can even multitask more than one GPS at at once on iPhone: I sometimes run Navigon in the background for voice guidance, while keeping Google Earth on the screen for the cool 3D view of my surroundings. Best of both worlds!

Now, I do think Google?s voice guidance is very cool, and it would be neat to have it pre-installed by default. But I consider it only a minor feature: Navigon is well worth $25 and the storage space, and a feature that lets me avoid Navigon isn?t much temptation.

(There are other GPS apps of course, but I know and love Navigon.)
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

What does Google's 3D stuff do for me? I haven't used it, so maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like it adds visual clutter without enhancing my ability to get around. It's not like I'm flying 100 off the ground so that 3D views of the surrounding buildings from that height help orient me.

I can actually see Google's 3D and Apple's proposed "schematic" maps as being points of divergence between the two companies' approach to mapping. For Google, more info is always better, and they like to show off what their engineers can accomplish. I can see Google's Android maps becoming ever more cluttered, with an ever more complex interface to handle all the possible options (Google X-Ray view! Google avatar chat view! Google material composition analysis view!).

I don't see 3D view on Google Maps app as main reason why its so popular. Face it, had you seen these innovations coming from iOS side, you wouldn't be making an issue of it.

Google Street View on Android is definitely an enhancement that I personally use. Its literally impossible to get lost.

Another great feature would be Google's ability to process traffic analytics onto their app. I love the fact that I can just create a shortcut on my homescreen and it tells me how much traffic there is from my current location, to the destination location I saved it as.

I'm really waiting on Apple to deliver a native in-house navigation application that is fully integrated into iOS. All this talk of 'Jobs doesn't want to get in the way of 3rd party navigation developers' is pure balogney. If Apple has a compelling application that makes things easier for the end user, they'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:

I can see a little utility to it. For instance if you're in a city and see an 3D rendering of a large or unique structure before you see the street it could give you an idea of where to go. But as you state it's mostly just eye candy. It strikes me as being a lot like argument that Windows Flip 3D was better than Apple's Exposé simply because it was more showy even though it obfuscated a good deal of the data by using angled windows sitting atop each other.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The one change that I would like to see in Apple's Maps app is a much, much larger data cache. The programmers seem to have made two assumptions:

1. that all users would always have a data connection to the Internet everywhere they went, and

2. that only a some KBs of storage would be available for caching map data.

Both of these assumptions are wrong and result in very limited usability of the app. At least an order of magnitude increase in cached map data is required to make the app generally usable.

This is a great point. I've often used my iPhone as a GPS/mapping device on cycle tours/hikes in areas where cellphone reception is patchy. It's pretty annoying when the GPS can plot me on a blank grey screen because the maps themselves aren't cached...

I generally try to cache as much as I can of the area I am planning to traverse in the Maps app by panning around while I have reception, but it's never clear whether it is going to be enough...
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Android?s turn-by-turn guidance can be a nightmare (I speak from experience) because it depends on the network?meaning the map you need may be slow to load OR navigation may simply drop out in certain spots. It also fights with phone calls in hilarious (and obnoxious) ways. Android doesn?t seem to handle multiple audio apps at once as well as iOS.

Yes, it?s free. But I got Navigon MyRegion for $15 (often $25), which is practically free, and FAR better than Google directions. All your data is on the device, and no network needed! And it multitasks with other audio (phone calls, Pandora) really well: your music fade a bit, the voice speaks, and the music comes back. You can even multitask more than one GPS at at once on iPhone: I sometimes run Navigon in the background for voice guidance, while keeping Google Earth on the screen for the cool 3D view of my surroundings. Best of both worlds!

Now, I do think Google?s voice guidance is very cool, and it would be neat to have it pre-installed by default. But I consider it only a minor feature: Navigon is well worth $25 and the storage space, and a feature that lets me avoid Navigon isn?t much temptation.

(There are other GPS apps of course, but I know and love Navigon.)

Damn, just checked prices for Navigon in Australia - $74.99... no chance at that price.