Memory upgrade

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I just bought Corsair 1333MHz Unbuffered CL 9 SODIMM Memory 9-9-9-24 1.5V DDR3 8GB to upgrade my MBP mid2010 from 4gb to 8gb memory. The problem is that if I put both 4gb memory in my mbp, it freeze on startup (Apple Logo). If i only put 1 4gb memory and 1 2gb memory it startup normally. I try this with both corsair memory and they both boot my mac when not together.

I'm currently running Lion, so I guess it's may not be the issue. Is it possible to let me know if there anything to do ? Even the answer is "reinstall OSX"

Thanks for your advise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You have one bad stick of RAM and one good stick of RAM.

That's what it sounds like.

Do this:

You have two sticks of 4GB and a 2GB stick, right?

Put in that 2GB stick and ONE (hereafter the FIRST) stick of 4GB of RAM.

See if the computer boots.

Then, put in that 2GB stick of RAM and the SECOND stick of 4GB of RAM.

If it boots with the first stick and not with the second, the second stick is faulty and needs to be replaced (at THEIR expense, not yours).

If it boots with the second stick and not with the first, the first stick is faulty and needs to be replaced (at THEIR expense, not yours).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You have one bad stick of RAM and one good stick of RAM.

That's what it sounds like.

Do this:

You have two sticks of 4GB and a 2GB stick, right?

Put in that 2GB stick and ONE (hereafter the FIRST) stick of 4GB of RAM.

Then, put in that 2GB stick of RAM and the SECOND stick of 4GB of RAM.

If it boots with the first stick and not with the second, the second stick is faulty and needs to be replaced (at THEIR expense, not yours).

If it boots with the second stick and not with the first, the first stick is faulty and needs to be replaced (at THEIR expense, not yours).

That's exactly what I tought, I do what you said. Everytime I put both 4gb of RAM It freeze at Startup. But it workd fine if I use the 2gb ram with either of 4gb ram. It looks pretty weird. As when I login in both way it give my 6gb of ram in my mac info.

I'm running a developer OSX Lion. Is that may be the cause I also receive the retail version from Apple... Never had that kind of problem with ram b4.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerspeed View Post

That's exactly what I tought, I do what you said. Everytime I put both 4gb of RAM It freeze at Startup. But it workd fine if I use the 2gb ram with either of 4gb ram. It looks pretty weird. As when I login in both way it give my 6gb of ram in my mac info.

WHOA, it works fine with EITHER of the 4GB+2GB setup?

Quote:

I'm running a developer OSX Lion.

Well, there's no reason for that. Get the retail version and install it and try both 4GB sticks again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHOA, it works fine with EITHER of the 4GB+2GB setup?

Well, there's no reason for that. Get the retail version and install it and try both 4GB sticks again.

Only thing I can think of is one of the ram sockets is damaged. see if you can borrow another stick of ram from someone and try combinations to isolate one stick at a time while still using both sockets. that should tell you if its the socket.