Apple has seen 'significant' slowdown in Mac sales, report claims

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    WTF? He went to 4 university bookstores when schools are closed?

He should have gone to McDonalds, and he would have concluded that sales of Macs are astronomical and that is for the BIG kind of Macs.
  • Reply 22 of 110
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

This moron will keep his job if sites like this keep publishing his crap. Stop giving time to these analysts, most of them barely understand what they are talking about....

I may make this my signature
  • Reply 23 of 110
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    "If Macs are so popular, why don't I have one?"

Time passes...

"I still don't have a Mac. They must not be selling well at all! Time to file a report on this breaking news!"

That's the only way his nonsense makes sense.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Mac sales down? Ok Michael Dell, here's your chance. And... go!
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Good for you. I've been using them or owning one since 1987.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    One of the worst and weirdest weeks in the stock market's history precedes a down weekend for computer sales?

Color me astounded.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

This moron will keep his job if sites like this keep publishing his crap. Stop giving time to these analysts, most of them barely understand what they are talking about....

Shaw Wu is another analyst who seems to get things wrong quite a bit, and although he is generally bullish on Apple, you'd think he would have to answer for his errors. I have noticed that he has moved several times to different companies over the last three or four years. Whether he left of his own volition or was invited to seek employment elsewhere is not known. The point is that if we can keep a bit of corporate memory on these things we might find that they are in fact losing/changing their employment at any given company over time. This might give us an indirect read on their "value" to their respective companies. FWIW...
  • Reply 28 of 110
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

hmm.. I did my part. Bought my first mac. Not really sure what took me so long... I love it!

Good for you, now persuade another ten PC users ...
  • Reply 29 of 110
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    None of them (I mean none) have pedicured Apple quarterly sales of MACs, iPhones, or iPads within any reasonable margin of error for years. They also tend to predict universally low. They all have a reliable track record of inaccuracy. Why do any of them still have jobs? Why do they continue to use the same flawed methods?

These people posting data collected by calling a few local stock clerks should be imprisoned (or heavily fined) for passing this off as research and analysis.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Aftershock of stock market armaggedon. No big deal.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

hmm.. I did my part. Bought my first mac. Not really sure what took me so long... I love it!

Congrats! I transitioned back in 07, largely because of iPhone and Windows Vista. Now am on my second Mac and once I get a job (I'm a recent grad) am planning to buy a mini as well.

And I am surprised by this, because I am still around campus a lot while I am searching for work, and more people than not have a mac or an iPad. Perhaps people are opting for iPad over a macbook air nowadays though.
  • Reply 32 of 110
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacobo007 View Post

WTF? He went to 4 university bookstores when schools are closed?

He should have gone to McDonalds, and he would have concluded that sales of Macs are astronomical and that is for the BIG kind of Macs.

He also went during what was likely a finals week for people in a summer class
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NZK88 View Post

indicated that this year's back-to-school promotion, offering a $100 App Store gift card, is not adequate. He said most parents would rather receive $100 cash back on education pricing.

"This same analyst, however, did not bother researching the educational promotion, which saves you a minimum of $100 on a MacBook Pro, and $66 on AppleCare in addition to the meager $100 gift card."

Exactly. And depending on the model you can get $200 back along with the discount on AppleCare and the $100 Mac App Store card.

I think if Apple did anything wrong here it was in not advertising the educational discount more along with the gift card, but I am not looking for any king of significant drop in sales.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    this is all BS.

related news:

It's iPad or nothing, survey says

The study found that out of more than 1,100 potential tablet purchasers, an overwhelming 94.5 percent cited the iPad as a device of interest.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-200...ap;editorPicks
  • Reply 35 of 110
    I bought a new Macbook Pro last week at Best Buy and love it, also this is the first time I was into a store where the sales people were pushing Mac's usually PC's, I watched for a while and heard them tell customers that Mac"s don't get viruses like PC. Was nice to see them push Mac"s.

Michael
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

He also went during what was likely a finals week for people in a summer class

Not to mention the fact that he's comparing sales to the first weekend after the new Airs and Minis were realeased.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    hummhumm Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Analyst's To Do List:

1.) Sell Apple stock. Check

2.) Come out with negative news on Apple. Check

3.) Watch stock price fall.

4.) Buy stock back at lower price.

5.) Come out with positive news on Apple.

6.) Watch stock price rise.

7.) Laugh all the way to the bank.

8.) Repeat.

This is just soo true......and it can be copy/pasted to all analysts!!!
  • Reply 38 of 110
    Is it too hard to believe that the iPad maybe cannibalizing some Mac sales? I know of at least two instances where people have stuck with their Windows desktops and bought an iPad instead of a MacBook.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

Is it too hard to believe that the iPad maybe cannibalizing some Mac sales? I know of at least two instances where people have stuck with their Windows desktops and bought an iPad instead of a MacBook.

Suggesting that people may buy an iPad over a new 'PC' is different from suggesting that Mac sales are suffering. Don't think Apple isn't aware the iPad will cannibalize some Mac sales in the short term but the growth rate for Macs is quite high compared to the 'PC' market as a whole that I suspect we're see Apple breaking YoY records yet again.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Analyst's To Do List:

1.) Sell Apple stock. Check

2.) Come out with negative news on Apple. Check

3.) Watch stock price fall.

4.) Buy stock back at lower price.

5.) Come out with positive news on Apple.

6.) Watch stock price rise.

7.) Laugh all the way to the bank.

8.) Repeat.

Actually, step 2 is, "Short Apple".