buying my first Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone, i am looking to buy my first mac and have a few questions for you current users.

I am looking at the 13" (500Gb) or the 15" (500Gb) MBP. I like the size and features of the 13, but also like the better processors and options the 15" has. I do not see myself doing a whole lot of video editing, but may try some music editing. I am primarily going to use the machine for web browsing and keeping my personal info together.

I am stuck in limbo as to what model i should get. Any info you have would be a help.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Unless you really need the extra power and bells and whistles that come with the 15" MacBook Prp, go for the 13" model. It has sufficient power ans resources to do almost anything you plan. Also, if you plan to carry your computer around a lot, the weight and size of the 15" can burden you down.I have a 15" MacBook Pro and I'm sorry now that I didn't go for the smaller machine. The heft and weight make carrying it around a chore.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chipz View Post

Unless you really need the extra power and bells and whistles that come with the 15" MacBook Prp, go for the 13" model. It has sufficient power ans resources to do almost anything you plan. Also, if you plan to carry your computer around a lot, the weight and size of the 15" can burden you down.I have a 15" MacBook Pro and I'm sorry now that I didn't go for the smaller machine. The heft and weight make carrying it around a chore.

Thank you
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I might also point out that if this is to be your primary (or only) computer, then you might appreciate the extra screen real estate of the 15" model. (of course, a cheap 19" external monitor could also be used with the 13" when at your desk... And still cheaper than the 15" MBP.)
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StageHandRy View Post

Hey everyone, i am looking to buy my first mac and have a few questions for you current users.

I am looking at the 13" (500Gb) or the 15" (500Gb) MBP. I like the size and features of the 13, but also like the better processors and options the 15" has. I do not see myself doing a whole lot of video editing, but may try some music editing. I am primarily going to use the machine for web browsing and keeping my personal info together.

I am stuck in limbo as to what model i should get. Any info you have would be a help.

Thanks

There is an alternative set up you may want to consider:

you could get an iMac (with your preferred specs) for max screen real estate, power, and storage, ideal for graphics/photo/video/music editing, as your desktop machine. And you can get an iPad (2) for maximum mobility (lightest weight device and longest battery life). And if you install an 'RDP' (Remote Desktop Protocol) application, like e.g. Teamviewer (FREE), on both you can run your iMac from your iPad wherever you are, and so have all the power and the storage of your iMac available to you anywhere you go.

With Teamviewer (FREE) you could even run your iMac remotely from your iPhone, Android phone, or any other MacOS, Windows, or Linux device.

Could be interesting to compare prices of an iMac/iPad combo versus an MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The idea of the iMac and the ipad isnt too bad. i already have a 32Gb ipad2. would the same option also work with a mac mini?

either way, i think i am going to get the 13" 500Gb next week.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

The idea of the iMac and the ipad isnt too bad. i already have a 32Gb ipad2. would the same option also work with a mac mini?

Yes. It works on any Mac (or Windows or Linux machine).

And from any other Mac, Windows or Linux machine, or iPhone, iPad, or any Android phone or tablet...

I use it daily, when I'm on the road, from either an Android phone (it's of course a PITA to work on a tiny screen; but it is possible if you're in a pinch) or from my MBP to work on my iMac back home, or on the iMacs, and MBAs of others (troubleshooting). Some even on the other side of the ocean! I've even used it to work on remote Windows machines (eeek!)

Why don't you try it out? It's free. You can use the machine you are on now to remotely control/work on any other internet-connected machine (provided both have Teamviewer installed). See for yourself how it works.

Quote:

Huh?

The Mac Mini is a third of the price of an MBP... And you say you already have an iPad 2! That iPad 2 beats any MBP hands down on mobility/portability: it's a third of the weight, yet it's got three times the battery life!

Right there you have the opportunity to save (or waste) over a thousand dollars! (Or spend that on other nice stuff)!

I got my first MBP when there were no iPads or Teamviewer. There are now. So my current MBP will be my last. It will be replaced by an iPad 3 (or a Galaxy Tab S2 10.1, or even a Xoom Reloaded...). I'll save a bunch of bucks for starters, and gain a lot of mobility, portability, and battery life = convenience. And all my desktop power and storage at my fingertips, wherever I go. Pretty clear cut to me.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:

The idea of the iMac and the ipad isnt too bad.

It's pretty bad when you think about it, especially if you use expensive cumbersome nagware Teamviewer.

If you're on 3G you can forget having a reliable connection and you'll blast through your data usage in no time. Not to mention having to make sure you've setup your sessions properly. You will also be a bandwidth hog on shared wifi connections.

It's also only free for non-commercial use and if you try to use it for work from a home office or for helping out paying clients, they will track usage and expect a $750 fee (plus $140 for your iPad version).

If you need a portable machine for the purpose of editing music on the go or any kind of productivity, a remote desktop solution is a very bad way to go. Not to mention security risks if you use a public wifi connection and become susceptible to a session hijack while using unsafe Teamviewer.

Quote:

I think that's a sensible choice. The 13" MBP is pretty fast and has a good amount of storage. Just make sure to avoid installing buggy, expensive, unsafe, spammy, cumbersome, nagware Teamviewer.

The 15" does have a nice GPU and the CPUs are fast and the 15" screen is very good to have as the 13" screen is a bit cramped (not as cramped as cramped unusable Teamviewer on a 10" iPad screen) but still small.

Upcoming revisions of the 15" MBP should be much thinner but may come at the expense of storage. For now, the 13" is probably your best option weighing up portability, functionality, performance and price.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's pretty bad when you think about it, especially if you use expensive cumbersome nagware Teamviewer.

Bullshit!

Apparently I need to explain once more to the biased (thanks for the opportunity).

"Expensive"? That's a blatant lie! Teamviewer is FREE FOR PERSONAL USE.

"Cumbersome"? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"Nagware"? Yeah, on your Wintel box perhaps!

Quote:

if you try to use it for work from a home office or for helping out paying clients, they will track usage and expect a $750 fee (plus $140 for your iPad version).

Bullshit!

Classical spreading of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Like 9/11.

I've used Teamviewer for over 2 years now and nobody's come knocking at my door yet. They, Teamviewer, would not only have to track and unravel my – mobile... – connections, all of them, which they can't, but they would also have to hack (= burglary = criminal offense) my accounting data for evidence (good luck finding what doesn't exist...), and they would have to haul me into court, and they would have to actually win the (frivolous) case, without getting convicted themselves...

Of course if you do use Teamviewer for commercial purposes you're an asshole if you don't pay for it. Extra benefit for Marvin: it gets rid of your nagware

Quote:

security risks if you use a public wifi connection and become susceptible to a session hijack while using unsafe Teamviewer.

Bullshit!

I have yet to see someone crack a VPN channel. Anywhere.

Teamviewer creates a new, unique end-to-end VPN channel between 2 devices for every session, with a new, unique, random password.

(Internet) Service providers and public hotspots can prevent you from establishing a VPN channel (like they effectively do in some parts of China, Iran, DPRK, Syria, the USA - yes, the USA too, etc.), but once one has been established Teamviewer is a 100% secure connection that nobody can eavesdrop on. Not even your Internet Service Provider or the NSA and friends.

Which explains why administrations, authorities and establishments everywhere fight the dissemination of VPN technology tooth and nail (not unlike Marvin ): they have no control over it. Witness WikiLeaks.

I use VPN channels to transfer dozens of gigs of confidential data every month all across the globe, over 100% secure, browser-to-browser direct realtime connections without iffy, crackable, or compromised middlemen/servers. A.k.a. the free, unimpeded, untappable flow of information and the right to full privacy unless specific legal suspicions as sanctioned case-by-case by a judge in a public/open court authorize police - and not proxies – to seize control. Which amendments are involved here again?

Try FREE http://www.filesovermiles.com/ and FREE https://1ty.me/about for instance. You may like 'm. Of course you also zip and encrypt your confidential files first.

Of course if you do anything illegal with them - by UN standards - I don't approve. Like if you kill your spouse with a frying pan I don't approve of the killing. But the frying pan didn't do it. You did. The frying pan is an excellent tool for its intended purpose. And some people find new purposes for it. Some good, some bad. Shit happens.

Cheers again, Marv!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

"Expensive"? That's a blatant lie! Teamviewer is FREE FOR PERSONAL USE.

You often fail to include the last two words yet recommend it to everyone regardless of whether it's for personal or commercial use and paying nearly $900 to connect from an iPad to a home office is expensive.

Quote:

"Nagware"? Yeah, on your Wintel box perhaps!

Pretty sure this is a Mac UI:

You will see it on the iPad when it shuts down the connection when your iPad goes idle using cumbersome, annoying, lame, expensive, nagware Teamviewer. Real productive software.

Quote:

They, Teamviewer, would not only have to track and unravel my – mobile... – connections, all of them, which they can't

If expensive, nagware Teamviewer detects commercial use, they just cut you off:

http://teamviewerforums.com/index.php?topic=1337.0

^ this also suggests they monitor your activity. Great security.

Quote:

Of course if you do use Teamviewer for commercial purposes you're an asshole if you don't pay for it.

Because you won't get your paycheck?

Quote:

Teamviewer creates a new, unique end-to-end VPN channel between 2 devices for every session, with a new, unique, random password.

Only in the scenario you use it in, not the one you recommend. If you offer support to other users, they are at the other end and able to create a new, temporary session. The scenario you recommend is for people to have their desktop at home with an unmanned remote desktop connection available at all times with a static partner ID and password.

Quote:

I use VPN channels to transfer dozens of gigs of confidential data every month all across the globe

Teamviewer spam templates?

Quote:

Like if you kill your spouse with a frying pan I don't approve of the killing.

What if she was killed because she complained about how much time her husband spent online spamming buggy, unstable, insecure, expensive, nagware Teamviewer?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

You often fail to include the last two words yet recommend it to everyone regardless of whether it's for personal or commercial use and paying nearly $900 to connect from an iPad to a home office is expensive.

Yeah, that's about what your other commercial RDP advertiser charges for a license too, is it not?

Trust me: free is better...

Quote:

Pretty sure this is a Mac UI:

You will see it on the iPad when it shuts down the connection

A small price to pay for functional, free software.

Quote:

[You will see it] when your iPad goes idle using cumbersome, annoying, lame, expensive, nagware Teamviewer. Real productive software.

Are you serious? Are you waiting and watching until your iPad goes idle? Some people have all the time in the world. Me, I've set my screen so that it doesn't slip into its screensaver when I'm working on it. While it does when I do want it to. Makes more sense. Wastes less time. Recommended.

Quote:

If expensive, nagware Teamviewer detects commercial use, they just cut you off:

BS! There's no way to differentiate between commercial and non-commercial use. So they can't either. What passes through that VPN pipe is uninterceptable. For any third party.

And if you're really paranoid I advise encryption before transmission, and a double Jack Daniels.

Quote:

http://teamviewerforums.com/index.php?topic=1337.0

^ this also suggests they monitor your activity. Great security.

1) a suggestion is not a fact; let's have a look at the source of that suggestion...

2) there's still no way to intercept whatever happens in that VPN pipe

Quote:

Only in the scenario you use it in, not the one you recommend. If you offer support to other users, they are at the other end and able to create a new, temporary session. The scenario you recommend is for people to have their desktop at home with an unmanned remote desktop connection available at all times with a static partner ID and password.

That's what we have password protected screensavers for, Mr Global Moderator on a Mac forum.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

BTW, it would be interesting to know why you're explicitly dissing one of your advertisers' products and censor every link to it. Care to enlighten your loyal readership?

And your boss?

• Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Yeah, that's about what your other commercial RDP advertiser charges for a license too, is it not?

I don't think others are near $900. LogMeIn doesn't look that expensive - $30 for the iPad and $70/year for the Mac/PC. Mocha VNC is $6. Many also have free versions.

Quote:

there's still no way to intercept whatever happens in that VPN pipe

The software they sell you encrypts the unencrypted information and puts it into that pipe. They give you the encryption and decryption keys and store your passwords.

Quote:

BTW, it would be interesting to know why you're explicitly dissing one of your advertisers' products and censor every link to it. Care to enlighten your loyal readership?

And your boss?

Those are Google ads, not specific to any advertiser. They also generate revenue for the site where your links do not.

Anyway, I don't mind you recommending it when people actually want to use an RDP solution. To post it excessively in a thread that has nothing to do with RDP is irritating and off-topic.

If you posted a thread about buying a car, you wouldn't want people to come in and post links to their favourite bicycle shop and tell you the benefits of buying a bike instead. Show other forum users the same respect that you expect to get yourself.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

I don't think others are near $900.

You 'think'?

I know they are. RDP advertisers - other than Teamviewer – right here on AI.

And no version 'free for personal use' like Teamviewer.

If you will actually look at them you will have an idea of what they offer. Right here on your medium.

If you don't, you don't. As demonstrated.

Quote:

The software they sell you encrypts the unencrypted information and puts it into that pipe. They give you the encryption and decryption keys and store your passwords.

No.

The software they GIVE YOU FREE encrypts only the connection, the pipe, so that only two specific devices, one at either end, have access. That is the principle of VPN. That is why it is uninterceptable. Teamviewer software does not encrypt the data you stick in the pipe. It doesn't touch it. It doesn't have to, because the data is uninterceptable while in the VPN pipe.

But like I said, twice before, if that's not enough security for ya then encrypt it yourself before you stick it in the pipe. That's how Assange does it. And he's beaten the entire NSA for years with it.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

I know they are.

You seem to have a very deep interest in RDP solutions and software that competes with your chosen favourite but why? Do you really think that RDP solutions are workable alternatives to laptops?

The OP in this thread couldn't run a remote audio editing session as a way of working every day and should they choose to do commercial work, it violates the terms of the free license. So any of the inexpensive and free alternatives for commercial use are surely far better.

Quote:

The software they GIVE YOU FREE encrypts only the connection, the pipe, so that only two specific devices, one at either end, have access.

The software still has to take the data, format it to comply with the protocol they use and stick it in. At all times, the code they have written knows exactly what you are doing and there is communication with their servers at all times to match up IP addresses to domains i.e activity logs.

I'm not suggesting you can't trust them, just that you should trust no one when it comes to your desktop use. Keep important data offline and don't leave your ports and firewalls open - using software that hops right over your security is not a good idea, especially as a way of working every day.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

I'm not suggesting you can't trust them, just that you should trust no one when it comes to your desktop use. Keep important data offline and don't leave your ports and firewalls open - using software that hops right over your security is not a good idea, especially as a way of working every day.

For absolute, total security you can build a concrete dome covering your house.

It does provide you with total, absolute security. But for all statistical intents and purposes it is of course totally absurd. Completely disproportional to the problem.

For most people a fence is enough. The rich have 8 foot walls with glass shards (which ain't stopping any determined burglar either of course). So it's all relative. Even encryption. If either machine is compromised, or if you or your partner in crime are waterboarded or bought, your security is toast.

Good passwords, appropriately used, and periodically changed, and secure handling of data and connections are a very good beginning that will give even the NSA a tough nut to crack. They can do it, eventually, but it will require weeks of 24/7 supercomputer time. That's dozens of millions of dollars! How likely is it they will invest that kind of money in cracking your data unless you're Pablo Escobar or Julian Assange?

And the latter's data security hasn't even been compromised yet, as far as we know*. While you may safely assume that they've applied their full might trying! Because that's what the NSA is for.

*if they had they would be waving it in front of the cameras as proof of heinous crimes. "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him".
  • Reply 15 of 18
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Thanks

I have a MBP 13 inch and I am perfectly happy with it.For your needs it would be really suitable for you.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I have a MBP 13 inch and I am perfectly happy with it.For your needs it would be really suitable for you.

I ended up getting it on Sunday. i have had a little bit of time to tinker with it, but am happy so far. I have a few days of this week and will probably spend some time setting up all my accounts and syncing my ipod/ipad with it as the primary computer instead of my work computer
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

I ended up getting it on Sunday. i have had a little bit of time to tinker with it, but am happy so far. I have a few days of this week and will probably spend some time setting up all my accounts and syncing my ipod/ipad with it as the primary computer instead of my work computer

Congrats! That's a great machine! Enjoy!

You may also appreciate FREE "iAlertU' and "Prey" for your new MBP's security.

And don't forget to set up your screensaver with a password to unlock!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

I wish you good luck with your new MBP