Samsung cites science fiction as prior art in US iPad patent case

Comments

• Reply 121 of 142
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Which appears to be just as much about fortunate timing as anything else IMO.

No one else was trying, so if you are saying it was just luck then I guess I disagree.
  • Reply 122 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dabe View Post

Indeed. But what most people seem to be forgetting is that Apple is duty bound to do whatever it can to protect against unreasonable infringement even if the available procedures are based on precedents that are somewhat questionable. From Apple's point of view, there is clear infringement. The question is how do they most efficiently achieve some recourse. Given the nature of the game and the rules/laws, (sometimes fallacious) that come into play, there is always going to be a level of expediency. As a business seeking to gain some temporary advantages from its own pioneering work, Apple would be silly not to explore reasonable strategies that are legally permissible.

Completely agree.
  • Reply 123 of 142
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjb View Post

It is more than digital newspaper. You obviously have not watched it. They are the pionieer and innovator in the tablet industry, IMO. Apple copied from them, and Samsung followed Apple making better product. But, I am happy with my IPad as my wife and 3 year old daughter love it.

I have watched it. In fact, it is not EVEN a digital newspaper! It is simply the mock-up of an IDEA for a digital newspaper in 1994.

More likely, Apple's iPad was inspired by their own Knowledge Navigator idea from 1987. Go take a look at what Wikipedia has to say about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Navigator

Maybe the digital newspaper idea of 1994 was copied from Apple's Knowledge Navigator idea of 1987! Who's to say?
  • Reply 124 of 142
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

No one else was trying, so if you are saying it was just luck then I guess I disagree.

Of course it wasn't just luck. A lot of good design work went into it too. But it would have been for naught in all likelihood if the timing wasn't also right.
  • Reply 125 of 142
    Quote:

It is more than digital newspaper. You obviously have not watched it. They are the pionieer and innovator in the tablet industry, IMO. Apple copied from them, and Samsung followed Apple making better product. But, I am happy with my IPad as my wife and 3 year old daughter love it.

It was a great idea, but the point is that it did not actually exist. They did not pioneer, innovate or sell a working product.
  • Reply 126 of 142
    Quote:

Of course it wasn't just luck. A lot of good design work went into it too. But it would have been for naught in all likelihood if the timing wasn't also right.

Isn't that true for all inventions?
  • Reply 127 of 142
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:

To suprise you. Apple has been a copycat here. They stole name from 'Padd' from Star Trek and idea of product called 'Tablet Newspaper (1994)', IMO. See the following link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEtP...eature=feedlik

They, in the Youtube, are the real innovator not a copycat Apple.

Really? Apple's Knowledge Navigator idea from 1987 clearly says otherwise:

Also, it makes more sense to think that it was Apple's earlier handheld computer, the Newton MessagePad, that served as inspiration for the name "iPad." (No need to come up with some wild theory that they dropped the extra "d" from "iPadd" to make the provenance less recognizable, which would defeat the ostensible purpose anyway!)
  • Reply 128 of 142
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dabe View Post

I have watched it. In fact, it is not EVEN a digital newspaper! It is simply the mock-up of an IDEA for a digital newspaper in 1994.

More likely, Apple's iPad was inspired by their own Knowledge Navigator idea from 1987. Go take a look at what Wikipedia has to say about that:

Maybe the digital newspaper idea of 1994 was copied from Apple's Knowledge Navigator idea of 1987! Who's to say?

Thanks for the info. The Tablet Newspaper was a tablet form of actual product not an idea of something. Also the design resembles IPad quite a bit.
  • Reply 129 of 142
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. The Tablet Newspaper was a tablet form of actual product not an idea of something. Also the design resembles IPad quite a bit.

Do you have a reference for this statement? I can find no evidence that they even built a working prototype of that device.
  • Reply 130 of 142
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Do you have a reference for this statement? I can find no evidence that they even built a working prototype of that device.

No of course he hasn't. At this point it's just turning into pure trolling shit! ('scuse my French!)
  • Reply 131 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No of course he hasn't. At this point it's just turning into pure trolling shit! ('scuse my French!)

Your French is impeccable.
  • Reply 132 of 142
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The 1800s called and wants its form factor back:

Obviously the issue with Samsung goes well beyond just appearances or concepts. There's a clear attempt to mimic the iPad experience, design, size, UI and gestures.

Perhaps Samsung has redesigned the Galaxy II already in preparation for their impending failure:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/s...n-promo-video/

Where's the big home button Sammy?
  • Reply 133 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

Who wants a stylus?! You have to get 'em and you put 'em away and you lose 'em? yuck!

• Reply 134 of 142
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Your French is impeccable.

Mercy bucket.
  • Reply 135 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Wow! Come on with the H.G. Wells and much more as prior art claims.

Poor Tesla actually invents so much stuff it would take life times to produce, but never mind him he's unimportant with all his patents because we've got Robert Heinlein's fictional work to be our case.

What's next? Roddenberry Estate steps in as well?

I will say though, that table they are sitting on has a strikingly Apple design, note the silver border with black surface.

You know for a movie that came out of late 60s it was surprisingly forward thinking, especially when you compare it to all the bad 80s scifi movies that followed in later years. Kind of scary actually.
  • Reply 136 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

HOWEVER, we're talking about a DESIGN PATENT, which is a different matter (http://www.bitlaw.com/patent/design.html). It is conceivable that a design patent could cover just an idea.

Please provide an example of a design patent which protects "just an idea".
  • Reply 137 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Please provide an example of a design patent which protects "just an idea".

Dude, there's so many that they're easy to find. Apple's filed at least 1000 of them, most of which have never been used on any Apple device. With 30 minutes research you can see just what the European Design Patent process is all about, and why it's ripe for abuse.

I'll even give you a headstart: http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/index.en.do
  • Reply 138 of 142
    Quote:

Dude, there's so many that they're easy to find. Apple's filed at least 1000 of them, most of which have never been used on any Apple device. With 30 minutes research you can see just what the European Design Patent process is all about, and why it's ripe for abuse.

I'll even give you a headstart: http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/index.en.do

I saw nothing there which was a design patent which covers "just an idea".
  • Reply 139 of 142
    Quote:

I can't do all your work for you. Try seaching for Apple design patents at the linked site. The screen limit is apparently 1000 indices, so that's all you'll get. After viewing a few you'll probably realize that most of them are for "just an idea". If you don't, then view a few more.
  • Reply 140 of 142
    Quote:

Just curious whether you read my earlier reply to your question, and whether you agreed or disagreed.