Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Comments

• Reply 161 of 212
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might I venture that he travels in rounded rectangles?

• Reply 162 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Didn't you hear? They already "lost" the PC Wars and the Smartphone Wars. Next, they'll "lose" the Tablet Wars.

Just like they lost the music player war and the online music store war.
  • Reply 163 of 212
    Speaking of rounded rectangles, I'm incredibly surprised some [data expunged] hasn't tried to claim THIS as proof that Apple's iPad patents are invalid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy Hertzfeld

Bill fired up his demo and it quickly filled the Lisa screen with randomly-sized ovals, faster than you thought was possible. But something was bothering Steve Jobs. "Well, circles and ovals are good, but how about drawing rectangles with rounded corners? Can we do that now, too?"

"No, there's no way to do that. In fact it would be really hard to do, and I don't think we really need it". I think Bill was a little miffed that Steve wasn't raving over the fast ovals and still wanted more.

Steve suddenly got more intense. "Rectangles with rounded corners are everywhere! Just look around this room!". And sure enough, there were lots of them, like the whiteboard and some of the desks and tables. Then he pointed out the window. "And look outside, there's even more, practically everywhere you look!". He even persuaded Bill to take a quick walk around the block with him, pointing out every rectangle with rounded corners that he could find.

When Steve and Bill passed a no-parking sign with rounded corners, it did the trick. "OK, I give up", Bill pleaded. "I'll see if it's as hard as I thought." He went back home to work on it.

• Reply 164 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

Which war?

Not the profit margin war, for sure. They're demolishing the competition in that arena. Go ask Acer, HP, RIM, Sony, Ericsson, if you have questions about that one.
  • Reply 165 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) An iPhone with a larger display doesn't mean it's a "giant' phone. Consider 5 years of component shrinkage and a display that goes further to the edge and you could end up with a device that is less volume than the original iPhone.

Hilarious. So you saying that 5 years of component shrinkage can lead to fitting 5'' display into smaller device than 3,7'' current iPhone ? The size of the iPhone bezel is not that big, mind you. Looks like reality distortion field to me.

Quote:

2) Again, where is your proof. Proof is something that points to Jobs saying they would not nor could not make an iPhone with a slightly larger display because a larger display in and of itself would make undesirable. I can't think of a single time in which they said any such thing about the iPhone. Now the iPad they did specifically mention about 7" not being as ideal as 10".

Again, pointing you to Jobs talking about how iPhone is perfect. He mentioned that no one would want device with display over 4'' in his pocket. Go find it.
  • Reply 166 of 212
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Taiwan culture.

HTC/Samsung/LG started as OEM companies.

They produced for example phones to Ericsson, Nokia and so on.

Then they understood that they could sell the product themselves.

Nokia is the greatest example how to destroy a company.

They have empty factories. Instead of using them building their Win7 phones, they hire HTC to produce the phone.

Of course HTC will use this to produce their own Win7 phones.

This out sourcing madness needs to stop.

Sansumg & LG are Korean... but I assume they all look the same to you
  • Reply 167 of 212
    It wouldn't surprise me if Samsung renamed themselves to Banana and said it was innovating.

I don't see how the iPhone/iPad inspired Samsungs designs, I mean Samsungs designs are soo ugly how can you not tell the difference?
  • Reply 168 of 212
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And what's "Wi-Fi direct" supposed to be?

Direct handset to handset transfer of data via WiFi without a gateway (aka router).

Innovation.
  • Reply 169 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Direct handset to handset transfer of data via WiFi without a gateway (aka router).

Innovation.

Why not just use Bluetooth?

And iPhone Hotspot, then connect the other iPhone, theres your direct transfer of data.
  • Reply 170 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

The reason people bring up picture frames is because Apple shouldn't get a claim (no company should) because they were the first ones to port an EXISTING design concept to a new platform. The idea already existed. Apple was the first to fully realize that design in the tablet market, but that doesn't mean they should be the only ones allowed to use it. ...

Pure sophistry. This is how we know you (and a number of others) are either paid to post here or are compelled to from entirely irrational motives that cloud your reason.

To the rational person, it's pretty obvious that Samsung is basing their product designs, to the smallest details, entirely on Apple's. It would be amusing to watch the mental gymnastics you go through to deny it, but, with something this blatant, you just end up looking ridiculous and dishonest.
  • Reply 171 of 212
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

To the rational person. . .

A rational person wouldn't see paid posters all around them.\

I assume you don't really believe it, instead using that claim as your way of derailing differences of opinion when you're in danger of coming out on the short end. You don't come off as irrational in most posts you make. Just when your opponent is making sense.
  • Reply 172 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

What else do you need it to do? It won't make you a cup of coffee.

On my way to interpret well logs in the Peruvan rain forest I was flashing around an HP35 calculator (the hottest electronic device in the '70s)

When the Jeep got stuck in the mud my calculator was absolutely no help in extracting us ? as I was shortly reminded.
  • Reply 173 of 212
    Andrew Barrow from Lenova has stated that only 20,000 of 1,000,000 shipped original Galaxy Tabs were sold.

Ouch!
  • Reply 174 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Innovation.

Mmm.\
  • Reply 175 of 212
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Andrew Barrow from Lenova has stated that only 20,000 of 1,000,000 shipped original Galaxy Tabs were sold.

Ouch!

But the real question is how many were returned? I can't imagine people would actually buy a tablet running phone OS. Some even boasted about it.
  • Reply 176 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Hilarious. So you saying that 5 years of component shrinkage can lead to fitting 5'' display into smaller device than 3,7'' current iPhone ? The size of the iPhone bezel is not that big, mind you. Looks like reality distortion field to me.

Jumping from a larger than 3.5" display to specifically a silly 5" display isn't fooling anyone.

Quote:

Again, pointing you to Jobs talking about how iPhone is perfect. He mentioned that no one would want device with display over 4'' in his pocket. Go find it.

Again, it's your argument. It's your claim. If you can't back it up then you lose on all counts.
  • Reply 177 of 212
    Quote:

Jumping from a larger than 3.5" display to specifically a silly 5" display isn't fooling anyone.

Again, it's your argument. It's your claim. If you can't back it up then you lose on all counts.

If you measure the diagonal of the glass on the iP4, it could support a 4.75" display without changing the device dimensions -- but the front .camera , speaker and home button would need to be relocated or repurposed.
  • Reply 178 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you measure the diagonal of the glass on the iP4, it could support a 4.75" display without changing the device dimensions -- but the front .camera , speaker and home button would need to be relocated or repurposed.

That tells me it's not going to happen. I don't think they'll integrate the display into those components for obvious reasons, and are very unlikely to alter the aspect ratio for reasons of maintaining a more cohesive developer community and App Store.

I posted some information yesterday about the potential for the iPhone display increasing to 4". In short, if they other aspects of the rumour are true ? Id est, a smaller bezel on the side, and a thinner casing with rounded sides ?*it could fit in your hand nearly as easily as the iPhone 4 for one hand thumb typing.
  • Reply 179 of 212
    Quote:

That tells me it's not going to happen. I don't think they'll integrate the display into those components for obvious reasons, and are very unlikely to alter the aspect ratio for reasons of maintaining a more cohesive developer community and App Store.

What would be great is if they changed the aspect ratio of the iPhone to be the same as on the iPad. It is a lot better.
  • Reply 180 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A rational person wouldn't see paid posters all around them.\

I assume you don't really believe it, instead using that claim as your way of derailing differences of opinion when you're in danger of coming out on the short end. You don't come off as irrational in most posts you make. Just when your opponent is making sense.

<sound of a wailing siren>

Somebody's making sense on AI??!! Where??!! Someone call 911!! We can't allow this.

Oh...

Sorry.

False alarm. He wasn't making sense.