Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Comments

• Reply 81 of 212
    Such a shame. I thought the original German injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was based on its similarity in terms of size and appearance to the iPad. Now they are also pulling a not yet released, noticeably smaller tablet out? I guess Apple really does hold a rounded rectangle patent after all.

I do have to say, the Galaxy Note is quite the sexy beast! It's a little big as a smartphone replacement for me though but I'm sure some people will like it as a PDA or a phone/tablet hybrid. Glad the AMOLED screen is finally catching up in the resolution/ppi section. The future is bright indeed. Can't wait to see what other companies come up with next. Innovation through competition, not litigation.

PS. Anyone noticed that the Galaxy Note closely resembled the supposed icon of the iPhone 5 posted a couple of days ago? With the rectangular home button and all. Not that there are anything wrong with it as all phones are rectangular slabs anyway.
  • Reply 82 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Google management lives in the "free" internet world.

Instead of inventing something own, they bought Android.

Like when Apple bought Lala for iTunes in the Cloud and when Apple bought Siri for its patented technology.....yeah that's what I call inventing.

Obviously Google acquired Android for the same reasons Apple acquired these companies, to make better products.
  • Reply 83 of 212
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Take a look at the infographic that I posted.

Also, what is even better is that Samsung will be releasing an SDK for the S Pen software for third party developers to take advantage of it.

I took a look and quite interested in "Free capture & Creation" as Samsung promoted. Is there any youtube video from user demonstrated this feature? Sorry, I don't quite trust Samsung since small/smooth event.
  • Reply 84 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

I don't care about how your uvula looks. How about answering my question?

Is that your mom calling for dinner?
  • Reply 85 of 212
    Quote:

He doesnt have an answer that is why he uses onomatopoeia in its place. He should be a great politician.

You shouldn't stoop to his level. tsk tsk
  • Reply 86 of 212
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

glad you admitted defeat.

I'm sad you cant read.
  • Reply 87 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

You shouldn't stoop to his level. tsk tsk

Says that guy who just said :

Quote:

Is that your mom calling for dinner?

• Reply 88 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

Like when Apple bought Lala for iTunes in the Cloud and when Apple bought Siri for its patented technology.....yeah that's what I call inventing.

Obviously Google acquired Android for the same reasons Apple acquired these companies, to make better products.

Google is a one trick pony.

Google innovated ONCE. Their Search Engine.

Their acquisitions and other services like Youtube, Android, Motorola, Gmail etc. are either expensive strategic blunders or money-losing operations.
  • Reply 89 of 212
    Quote:

Says that guy who just said :

I know you need all the supports you can get here but he's acting childish, hence my reply. Did you not have problem with people acting childish?
  • Reply 90 of 212
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Google.

1) So I guess you are answering only the last question. Perhaps in the future if you'd like to communicate well you might want to edit the quote to make it clear.

2) What evidence do you have that Google's advertising profit from Android exceeds Apple's profit from the iPhone (and other iOS-based devices since we're talking about methods of generating revenue).
  • Reply 91 of 212
    I want my FranklinPhone!
  • Reply 92 of 212
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. The government has no position for or against monopolies. Monopolies are quite legal - and some monopolies (patents) are enforced by government policy. There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about a monopoly. You only get in trouble if you obtain or maintain a monopoly illegally.

I think he was referring to antitrust laws. If Apple told its suppliers not to provide lcd screens to another company who designed their own tablet devices, this is the kind of thing that could prompt an investigation. In this case weren't they trying to prove it was designed to be as close as possible? Too many electronics companies outsource their manufacturing and this is what they get. There are still electronics companies that do their own manufacturing even if they don't have facilities to craft every part themselves. Last time I checked Boxx workstations priced out around the same as the mac pro (a little cheaper or a little more depending on how you configured, it's impossible to get an exact match) and they do their own manufacturing in the US (somewhere around Austin). Eizo Nanao manufactures their own displays in Japan. They both cost a bit more than others, but not several times the amount assuming you compare similar items.
  • Reply 93 of 212
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Competition implies bringing your own design to the table or a significant improvement based on another's design. It doesn't mean benefiting from another's research and development cost by sinking all your effort into copying said competitors product. Samsung copying Apple doesn't benefit consumers because it undermines Apple's incentive to sink money into design.

I want competition in design, but that doesn't mean I want copies of Apple's designs. Even Sony and Microsoft are bringing their own flare to the table.

Samsung historically has been a rip off artist. RIM and Nokia didn't complain because design isn't those companies focus.

Quote:

Samsung used to copy NOKIA and RIM. These guy did nothing about it. Now it's Apple and all hell broke loose. I think all we need is Samsung to design a product of their own ..like Sony just did. Competition is good. We all want competition in design too.

• Reply 94 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Competition implies bringing your own design to the table or a significant improvement based on another's design. It doesn't mean benefiting from another's research and development cost by sinking all your effort into copying said competitors product. Samsung copying Apple doesn't benefit consumers because it undermines Apple's incentive to sink money into design.

I want competition in design, but that doesn't mean I want copies of Apple's designs. Even Sony and Microsoft are bringing their own flare to the table.

Samsung historically has been a rip off artist. RIM and Nokia didn't complain because design isn't those companies focus.

Yup. Like someone said .. just find a Jony Ive of your own, then compete.
  • Reply 95 of 212
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Are you not familiar with the way the Fed is sueing AT&T with its plans to merge with T-Mobile? They are doing it based on the fact that it would reduce (stifle) competition and increase prices of the products.

Here is a link for you to refresh your prior knowledge (or lack of): http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20099789.shtml

Also, there is nothing illegal about the propose merger.

Guess I called you out now.

No, you just proved that you are incapable of logical thought. You said that the government is opposed to monopolies. That is not true. The government is opposed to lessened competition which results from a merger. The two concepts are entirely unrelated. I'd suggest that you read a book on antitrust laws before embarrassing yourself further.

Quote:

Source: http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=5334

If you are still in denial, then you have problems.

OMG. What incredible innovation. Look at that phone. The bottom row of icons above the home button has FIVE icons instead of FOUR like the iPhone. That is so innovative, no one could ever confuse it with an iPhone!

While some of those FEATURES look interesting, and maybe even innovative, it's truly embarrassing how much like an iPhone they made that phone look. Heck, even the little dots about the bottom row of icons.....
  • Reply 96 of 212
    Quote:

No, you just proved that you are incapable of logical thought. You said that the government is opposed to monopolies. That is not true. The government is opposed to lessened competition which results from a merger. The two concepts are entirely unrelated. I'd suggest that you read a book on antitrust laws before embarrassing yourself further.

OMG. What incredible innovation. Look at that phone. The bottom row of icons above the home button has FIVE icons instead of FOUR like the iPhone. That is so innovative, no one could ever confuse it with an iPhone!

While some of those FEATURES look interesting, and maybe even innovative, it's truly embarrassing how much like an iPhone they made that phone look. Heck, even the little dots about the bottom row of icons.....

The rumours about Apple increasing the Home Button from a circle to an oval are looking likely, at least for a larger-sized device. Has Samsung released a device with that oval Home Button before or will the Galaxy Note, to be released in 2012, be the first? Did they copy that from the rumours about the next iPhone or come up with the larger Home Button on their own? When did they stop putting 4 physical buttons on the bottom of the screen and starting copying Apple's 2007 design more thoroughly?
  • Reply 97 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Larry Page's tenure as Google's CEO is going to be a short one.

WSJ: A Very Gloomy Picture Of Larry Page's Short Tenure As Google CEO

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...984562128.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-ver...gle-ceo-2011-8

I think that Larry's handling of the Google/MMI situation can be described as:

"a page-fault error resulting from poor logic or bad instructions".

Edit: ...right up there with Apple's handling the FCPX/FCP7 situation.
  • Reply 98 of 212
    Quote:

Mergers create a market close to that of a monopoly (aka oligopoly if it is with a few companies).

Both monopolies and oligopolies stifles competition and increases prices.

That is what the government is trying to protect, to keep competition flowing.

Perhaps, it is you who cant put 1 and 1 together.
  • Reply 99 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The rumours about Apple increasing the Home Button from a circle to an oval are looking likely, at least for a larger-sized device. Has Samsung released a device with that oval Home Button before or will the Galaxy Note, to be released in 2012, be the first? Did they copy that from the rumours about the next iPhone or come up with the larger Home Button on their own? When did they stop putting 4 physical buttons on the bottom of the screen and starting copying Apple's 2007 design more thoroughly?

Oval-ish. Galaxy W.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/28/w...-its-backside/

• Reply 100 of 212

Thanks for the link, but that's still an unreleased device that appeared as a prototype after the supposed leak of the 5th generation iPhone leaks indicating an oval Home Button. It doesn't mean they is a correlation, but it does seem suspicious that these would only now be coming to the tech sites.