iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Was that the A4 or A5? I was thinking it was the A5 but I think that each could be 9x faster than before.

The graphics part in the A4 is most definitely not 9x faster than the one in the 3GS, in fact, it was relatively weak, and only a minor upgrade compared to the 3GS. They both have an SGX 535, but on the iPhone 4 it's clocked higher.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Definitely, having only one iPhone with regards to function, with only a storage difference size decision, makes for a much easier consumer decision.

The others present a confusing collection of different phones.

I disagree here. What you see as a 'confusing collection' I see as a breadth of choices as everyone likes something different, keyboard vs touchscreen, size, etc. Once size does not fit all nor should it. No doubt a single unified product helps consumer education and awareness, but it does have drawbacks.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I disagree here. What you see as a 'confusing collection' I see as a breadth of choices as everyone likes something different, keyboard vs touchscreen, size, etc. Once size does not fit all nor should it. No doubt a single unified product helps consumer education and awareness, but it does have drawbacks.

I have to agree with the first poster, here's why:

Personally I think we are moving more towards making life easier, with choice comes more complexity, Especially in the smart phone market. I think the main reason the iPhone is selling so well is because it is simple. Not only is it simple to use but there is no complexity in choosing an iPhone model cuz there are only two choices. I have checked out many Android phones and I get a headache trying to figure out which one to buy so I gave up and I'm a nerd!

Imagine how it must be for a normal consumer! They are just buying what the punk sales rep tells them. The sales rep has very little clue. They are like car salesmen. They sell you a bunch of lies when it comes to Andoid powered phones - thats it. I'm sure they gloss over many things when they sell phones, including iPhones. In the end it is buyer beware, all we can do is educate ourselves, personally I trust Apple more than Samsung and alike, Atleast I got to use the phone at the Apple Store how many Android phones can you actually browse the web with in the store?
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

you mean a breadth of "crappy" choices right? then Android's for you.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Personally I think we are moving more towards making life easier, with choice comes more complexity, Especially in the smart phone market. I think the main reason the iPhone is selling so well is because it is simple. Not only is it simple to use but there is no complexity in choosing an iPhone model cuz there are only two choices. I have checked out many Android phones and I get a headache trying to figure out which one to buy so I gave up and I'm a nerd!

Imagine how it must be for a normal consumer! They are just buying what the punk sales rep tells them. The sales rep has very little clue. They are like car salesmen. They sell you a bunch of lies when it comes to Andoid powered phones - thats it. I'm sure they gloss over many things when they sell phones, including iPhones. In the end it is buyer beware, all we can do is educate ourselves, personally I trust Apple more than Samsung and alike, Atleast I got to use the phone at the Apple Store how many Android phones can you actually browse the web with in the store?

Oh the humanity!! How does anyone ever decide anything in my life that wasn't picked for them? Please. I respect your opinion but it's a terrible argument. I can't imagine what it was like for you to buy your first car or washing machine.

To answer your last question, all of them (last time I was in VZ or ATT), unless you're in Best Buy, in which case you already failed.

My wife loves a real keyboard. period. I would never say she should be forced to use a touchscreen because Apple or I say so or think it's best. We all have different desires. Do what makes you happy.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

you mean a breadth of "crappy" choices right? then Android's for you.

I really was talking choices from a platform agnostic point of view. I'm certainly not starting a flame war with that can of worms. Competition in the marketplace is good for all.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

if people can go buy a car they can figure out what phone to buy - the idea that now as a society we need things to be dumb down to 2 options is nonsense.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

if people can go buy a car they can figure out what phone to buy - the idea that now as a society we need things to be dumb down to 2 options is nonsense.

You're talking about two very different markets. Remember that smartphones are just handheld computers and cars are a lot more. It's easy for a customer to wrap their head around whether they want cloth or leather seats, and what color they wish them to be. It's easy for them to say I want the seat heaters, I want the navigation system, I want the extra horsepower, I want the convertible. These are all very real and very tangible elements for them to choose from. They likely have anecdotes for each and every option being offered.

When it comes to a smartphone very little of the device is being presented to the customer. You're talking about spec sheet options that make it more difficult for a vendor to produce an item and which are ultimately pointless to nearly all customers.

You have 768MB RAM instead of 512MB? You have a 1.2GHz CPU instead of a 1GHz CPU? You have a 4 core GPU instead of a 2 core GPU? What does that mean to the customer? More programs can be loaded, can load and run faster? Not necessarily as it depends on the OS being used and many other aspects of the HW. How about the additional power requirements. Did you consider that?

Apple offers the iPhone 3GS in black in one size (1), the iPhone 4 in white and black (+2), and offers them in 2 capacities (x2). That's 5 SKUs for the iPhone without considering the Verizon models. They have 18 SKUs for the iPad. How man should they have? This is a pocketable device, not a vehicle.

PS: How are the multiples of Android smartphone and tablet options working out for vendors? Apple seems to be dominating on revenue and profits in every category.

PPS: Ever notice that restaurants with the highest ratings have a very limited menu in which they do well while the worst restaurants have a unbelievably huge menu where nothing tastes great. Do you love that your wings and french fries are deep-fried in same oil as the fish? I certainly don't.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Every corporate store I've been to, and most 3rd party stores, have live demos of android devices for you to play with and test out.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

PS: How are the multiples of Android smartphone and tablet options working out for vendors? Apple seems to be dominating on revenue and profits in every category.

Judging by HTC's and Samsungs increasing profits in the mobile division, I'd say quite well. They're not "apple" good, but I don't think any company realistically expects it. No other company has Apple's brand or purchasing power.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

No other company has Apple's brand or purchasing power.

Apple's brand recognition and purchasing power are a result of their focus, not in spite of.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Don't you wish it was like that for everything? One car to choose from. One TV set. One toaster oven.

Even clothes! How can one possibly choose whether to buy jeans and a black turtleneck, or to buy a suit!

Boy, it sure would be better if every company was more like Apple!!!

• Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:

Apple's brand recognition and purchasing power are a result of their focus, not in spite of.

And I never said it wasn't. But it's a focus they've cultivated for years. They've had the same "brand image" for longer than the "idevice" naming scheme existed. They have an eco-system built around it, and decades of brand legacy over design.

HTC is focusing on doing that, but they've only released phones AS HTC for 5 years, so they have awhile to go. They're also (wisely) trying to hit on areas their competitors might miss rather than going at them directly, and creating multiple devices helps them.

That being said, I think there is a bit too much confusion, but some of that is the carrier's fault. Take Verizon. They have the Incredible 2, the Thunderbolt, and whatever the new leaked "superphone" is that TIMN showed off last week. All of them are HTC, with only a few differences. Pretty sure that's verizon's doing, not HTC's. That;s the other downside to not having clout, you have to take orders from your "partners".
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the $50 entry-level $50 iPhone 3GS

Today's typo...
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

And I never said it wasn't. But it's a focus they've cultivated for years. They've had the same "brand image" for longer than the "idevice" naming scheme existed. They have an eco-system built around it, and decades of brand legacy over design.

So while HTC COULD focus and try and create something similar, it would take years to do so, years that companies don't really have the luxury of affording in this "instant results" culture.

So they do the next best thing, They work to create a "valued" brand while also trying to satisfy needs they see aren't met by their (more popular) competitors. Until 2006, HTC didn't even produce phones under their own name, instead using other brands. So they're in year 5 of brand building. It takes time, as apple has shown.

That seems to be the unfortunate mindset and the downfall of many vendors. They think they need to rush to market so they can see "Me first!" instead of actually refining a product that people want. Apple was nearly bankrupt and their brand was in the toilet from over a decade of poor decisions.

They didn't build it up over night. They created a product they loved and then worked to grow the brand. Just look at the iPod slow start and eventual domination. HTC, Samsung, HP, Moto, and even Dell all have the same opportunities. In many ways they have more because Apple has opened up new frontiers for markets that didn't exist before.

For example, Palm had great potential with the Palm Pre. There stock jumped 15x in 6 months. People were excited for this product. But they rushed to market the SDK (which they eventually completely changed), the OS, and the HW to beat Apple to the release of their iPhone by a couple weeks. That meant it was completely overshadowed by the dominant device before it got off the ground. I think if Palm waited until Autumn to release the Palm Pre for the holiday shopping season with nearly an extra half-year of development on all counts, including a decent app store out of the gate, that they would be on the list of top 5 vendors today.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

That seems to be the unfortunate mindset and the downfall of many vendors. They think they need to rush to market so they can see "Me first!" instead of actually refining a product that people want. Apple was nearly bankrupt and their brand was in the toilet from over a decade of poor decisions.

They didn't build it up over night. They created a product they loved and then worked to grow the brand. Just look at the iPod slow start and eventual domination. HTC, Samsung, HP, Moto, and even Dell all have the same opportunities. In many ways they have more because Apple has opened up new frontiers for markets that didn't exist before.

For example, Palm had great potential with the Palm Pre. There stock jumped 15x in 6 months. People were excited for this product. But they rushed to market the SDK (which they eventually completely changed), the OS, and the HW to beat Apple to the release of their iPhone by a couple weeks. That meant it was completely overshadowed by the dominant device before it got off the ground. I think if Palm waited until Autumn to release the Palm Pre for the holiday shopping season with nearly an extra half-year of development on all counts, including a decent app store out of the gate, that they would be on the list of top 5 vendors today.

I actually think the biggest thing that killed the pre is that they announced it and had months of waiting, chose sprint as a launch partner, and had one of the WORST ad campaigns in recent memory.

I think HTC is working on creating an identity, but they're only in year 5 of being "HTC"
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

I actually think the biggest thing that killed the pre is that they announced it and had months of waiting, chose sprint as a launch partner, and had one of the WORST ad campaigns in recent memory.

I think HTC is working on creating an identity, but they're only in year 5 of being "HTC"

I don't think Sprint or the Borg Queen helped, but I think a poorly chosen launch date with an unfinished product was their biggest downfall.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Most people don't read tech news sites. There is little iPhone 5 hype outside of that. When people want a phone, they go to the store and see what's available. They don't read the rumors sites to see what's coming down the pipe, nor do they care. They know a better one will come eventually, but they want a phone today.

I agree. Apple's kept quiet about future devices. People who don't follow tech sites/blogs are not likely to have heard the hype, because that hype isn't coming from Apple. It's coming from tech/rumor sites looking for click traffic.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 40 of 49
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

And in what year will they stop announcing new phones when the previously announced phones haven't even been released yet?