Chilean airplane crash located via Apple's Find My iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Quote:

GPS doesn't work in Airplane Mode, right? So why did this passenger have their iPhone's GPS enabled. It's fortunate that they did, but it's curious nonetheless. We'll never know the whole story, but it would be scary to think that radio interference from mobile devices might be a factor in such crashes.

If it were as easy as having your iPhone turned on to crash a commercial airplane, terrorists would simply board flights and turn their phones on.

To think that an iPhone or computer is going to affect a jet airliner, in any meaningful way, is ridiculous.

What's amazing to me is that the iPhone survived the crash and kept working. I'm guessing it was inside some waterproof packaging. My iPhone wouldn't survive a spilt glass of water near it.:-)
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

GPS doesn't work in Airplane Mode, right? So why did this passenger have their iPhone's GPS enabled. It's fortunate that they did, but it's curious nonetheless. We'll never know the whole story, but it would be scary to think that radio interference from mobile devices might be a factor in such crashes.

Neither does wifi, which you can now use on planes. Airplane mode is more for takeoff & landing than anything else, saves you from having to turn off your phone.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Sorry, but go ahead and ask your friends if they know what it is and how to do it. You can also ask them if they know how to connect to a wifi network and while you're at it ask them if they know their email password. When they say "my email doesn't have a password" don't be surprised. If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that exact phrase, I'd be rich.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps you just need to hang around a more intelligent group of people?... Your experience could easily represent the MINORITY of us "over-40's".
  • Reply 24 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    So this Chilean plane had no functioning tracking devices of it's own and an iPhone saved the day?

If iPhones had existed in the 1970's, then the passengers on that plane that crashed in the Andes (you all saw the movie right?) wouldn't have had to resort to eating their fellow passengers for dinner.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Neither does wifi, which you can now use on planes. Airplane mode is more for takeoff & landing than anything else, saves you from having to turn off your phone.

On the planes I've been on for the last few years, you can't use airplane mode during takeoff and landing. You have to turn the phone completely off. And when in the air, you have to use airplane mode.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Well as someone that just got off an airplane I can tell you that Airplane mode is NOT for take off and landing. "Anything with an on/off switch has to be in the off position and stowed" I think were her exact words. However, as several flight attendant friends of mine have told me, this has more to do with having passengers not be fiddling with electronic devices when they should be paying attention to safety instructions and such, and not having pieces of plastic and metal flying around in case of an emergency. Then once above 10,000 feet, you're allowed to be in Airplane mode.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So this Chilean plane had no functioning tracking devices of it's own and an iPhone saved the day?

If iPhones had existed in the 1970's, then the passengers on that plane that crashed in the Andes (you all saw the movie right?) wouldn't have had to resort to eating their fellow passengers for dinner.

Maybe, maybe not, but at least they might have a First Aid app, Martha Stewart's How To Prepare Human Flesh cookbook, and an app showing the safety route to population.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

On the planes I've been on for the last few years, you can't use airplane mode during takeoff and landing.

How can they possibly know who has their devices on or not? I was just on a long international flight a few months ago and the crew doesn't go around checking everybody's phone or ipad. My iPad was in airplane mode the whole time, I didn't shut it off.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one (emphasis added) knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

Fail. I'm 45 and use settings regularly.

(Above and beyond the insulting nature of your post in general, of course. If anything, I find people under 30 or 35 to be so self-absorbed as to deliberately ignore requests to put their phone in airplane mode (and/or stop texting while talking to someone, and/or keep music at a level such that I *can't* hear it on the other side of the train, with earplugs in).
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe, maybe not, but at least they might have a First Aid app, Martha Stewart's How To Prepare Human Flesh cookbook, and an app showing the safety route to population.

I have the Omaha Steaks app on my iPad. There are many recipes for tasty and juicy steaks on that app, that might maybe come in handy too.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:

Sorry, but go ahead and ask your friends if they know what it is and how to do it. You can also ask them if they know how to connect to a wifi network and while you're at it ask them if they know their email password. When they say "my email doesn't have a password" don't be surprised. If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that exact phrase, I'd be rich.

Did you ever hear of self-selection? As in, if you work in a computer / software company and deal with customer questions... by definition those people don't know the answer to their question. Granted. But that doesn't make them "all" people over 40, nor even a representative sample of people over 40. Indeed, it makes them nothing more than the set of people who don't know how to do 'X' and so call a help line or send an email inquiry.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

Your and idiot and you don't have a clue as to why.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

There are persons who make sexist remarks and persons like you who make ageist remarks. My turn now. Those "old people" called your parents apparently showed you a lot more charity and respect than you're inclined to show them. They chose not to terminate your gestation when they had the chance.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Military investigators had to rely on one of the victims family members "find my iPhone" feature to track down a plane lost at sea because... said plane didn't have a black-box? Ok!

Ya know it sounds more like one of the investigators handed the distraught family member a BS story just to give them some hope.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:

I weep for the future.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Huh. I was going to make a 'pull up some nice recipes' comment, and then thought Nah, don't want to offend... I'm not complaining, mind you; my sense of humor is as sick as the next guys!
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:

Your are a reason why many people over 40 call people under 40 arrogant asses
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Military investigators had to rely on one of the victims family members "find my iPhone" feature to track down a plane lost at sea because... said plane didn't have a black-box? Ok!

Ya know it sounds more like one of the investigators handed the distraught family member a BS story just to give them some hope.

Black boxes do broadcast a signal, but if it's under water (as here) and/or the investigators don't know where to look (as seems to be the case here), that doesn't do any good.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology...

Sooooo...... you're a "shift supervisor" at a tech-support call center?
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

Obviously not an AT&T service area.

I wonder if it just saved the last known location. I wouldn't assume the owner had it on the whole time, either. If I were on a plane that was going down, I would turn the phone on and try to call family and friends to say goodbye.