Adobe concedes HTML5 video support for iOS in Flash Media Server

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Flash started using h264 in the flash wrapper (background) a while back, so now offering h264 in a more open wrapper probably isn't a huge leap. VERY good that they're doing it of course.

But it won't help games in flash. They're not a h264 movie stream.

H.264 offers better quality at the same bitrate compression wise, but it's actually more CPU intensive than the older formats for encoding / decoding. GPU acceleration helps with this, but it has to specifically coded for in the flash file, which also requires at minimum Creative Suite 5.5 (the very latest). It will be a while before those upgrades to the player make their way into the mainstream. They're not super duper simple to implement due to how new they are and most companies still use CS5 or earlier.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    If using a more direct HTML5 implementation on the Mac. GPU acceleration API's are built right into the AV Foundation framework.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

H.264 offers better quality at the same bitrate compression wise, but it's actually more CPU intensive than the older formats for encoding / decoding. GPU acceleration helps with this........

• Reply 43 of 46
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Error601 View Post

Examples of your former tool-forging glory would include:
    • Photoshop 7 (coincidence that it's the last one to support Mac OS 9?)

Blek that's when they added the healing brush to the mix....... the clone tool for idiots. Seriously that's the one thing I wish they never added because it gives me a headache just seeing how some people misuse it.

Anyway I've never been a fan of how flash runs within safari on my macs, but this idiotic quarreling between Apple and Adobe needs to end. It doesn't benefit any of us that use macs and run Adobe products. I'm not using as many as I used to but there aren't many good alternatives for things like photoshop and illustrator.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

He's not QUITE dead.

It's just a flesh wound .
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

If using a more direct HTML5 implementation on the Mac. GPU acceleration API's are built right into the AV Foundation framework.

Which requires a much more labor intensive rewrite to support features already built in Flash. Both, at current, support the same GPU acceleration when written correctly.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That may be true, however, I think it is more of a niche/cult thing now days. Macs have long been the platform of choice for creative professionals and the new apprentices are indoctrinated into the family of design professionals through learning the Mac. Font rendering is not the issue. It is more about the 100s of years of typesetting history, kerning, tracking, appropriate font selection, ligatures, leading, etc. These typeface embellishments are not exclusive to the Mac platform, however it is the realm of the properly trained graphic design professional and that is where the connection to the Mac comes in. It has little to do with the OS at this point since Windows can now do any of the same typesetting but the long tradition of professional typesetting has been almost exclusively Mac since the beginning of the DTP era and Adobe has been at the forefront of computer based design since it began.

I agree, however, that is definitely a perception which ultimately leads to brand choice. Also, OSX has shown Photoshop previews in Finder for years (not to mention Quicklook) and Windows has had to rely on plugins (I think Win7 may have improved on this).