West Lafayette, IN

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone from around this area? Just moved here about 1-2 weeks ago, my dad got a job at Purude, so I'm in high school right now. I don't really know anyone from here so hmm, I don't know, maybe we could get a LAN party going or something of the sort, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I'll be up that way Sunday. My wife is from Lafayette. We are both Purdue grads. What job did your dad get?

That area had at one time the most square feet of restaurants per capita than any other city area in the US. So, there's plenty to eat.

Or drink, I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jchenjchen Posts: 70member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>I'll be up that way Sunday. My wife is from Lafayette. We are both Purdue grads. What job did your dad get?

That area had at one time the most square feet of restaurants per capita than any other city area in the US. So, there's plenty to eat.

Or drink, I guess.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's a biochemistry professor in Whistler Hall, Microbiology and Plant Pathology Department.

Yeah, I've noticed the numerous amounts of restaurants too, I'm still in highschool (go to West Lafayette High) and there's a ton of places to eat after you get about 4-5 blocks away from the school for lunch.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Home of Perdoink university....

Don't know much about the area (been there a couple times on my way to other destinations), but I will make this simple wager: you will have an unquenchable urge to go to college in an urban environment after living in the middle of Indiana for a few years.

Then again, if you want to be an engineer, having your Dad put in a good word at Purdue would be far from a bad thing. Great engineering and technology programs there. Almost on par with the University of Illinois (which other than Caltech a few others is the very best).

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs:

<strong>Home of Perdoink university....

Don't know much about the area (been there a couple times on my way to other destinations), but I will make this simple wager: you will have an unquenchable urge to go to college in an urban environment after living in the middle of Indiana for a few years.

Then again, if you want to be an engineer, having your Dad put in a good word at Purdue would be far from a bad thing. Great engineering and technology programs there. Almost on par with the University of Illinois (which other than Caltech a few others is the very best).

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I think he'll get his school paid for as he is a child of staff.

I'll tell him this, don't waste your time looking elsewhere for an education, then. And Laf area has been consistently rated very high for places to live. They have a strong economy when all other places are floundering. As long as you can stand the smell of Staley's, you're okay.

If you're interested in sports, go to mrhoops.com or mrgridiron.com for some good Purdue alumni forums. They don't go down like this site does, that's for sure. I wouldn't let them.