RIM ships 10.6 million BlackBerry phones, just 200,000 PlayBooks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I was shocked that Apple sold almost as many iPads as RIM sold Blackberry phones !!!

Actually, this may have happened, because the 9.2 million iPads sold were for the Apri-June quarter, and this was when there was the "mother of all backlogs" according to TIm Cook. While, RIMM's reported quarter is June- August. So, if we compare Apples most recent quarter that is about to end in 2 weeks, we may indeed see that iPads sales have exceeded Blackberry phone sales.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I was shocked that Apple sold almost as many iPads as RIM sold Blackberry phones !!!

Holy moly! That never crossed my mind, I've been comparing phones-phones and tablets-tablets.

What a bloodbath.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

$49.99

Probably what they'd have to cut the price to, indeed. It's a train wreck of a product. A BlackBerry that doesn't do Blackberry e-mail natively and needs a BB to tether to. Genius.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

RIM can subtract another 1K plus Blackberry phones, as my company is going to the iPhone in 2012. The typical Blackberry is way too limited to do much of anything. The screen is tiny, the browser sucks, and if you want to develop any in-house applications, the Blackberry just doesn't do well with drop down menus. Blackberry phones also freeze ALL the time. Very annoying. It really is a dead platform that RIM waited entirely too long to update. I wonder how many of these Blackberry's 'sold' were just refurb requests from companies where someone's current BB had bit the dust. That happens to us a lot as well.

And to invest in a tablet platform that is based on this outdated technology is just idiotic. Goodbye RIM. Was a good run in the 90's.

very well said, BB is losing its base and the fact that they have no real future path for its OS, it makes keeping them and supporting very difficult from the enterprise IT perspective.....no path .....no future...IT is embracing something that has a multiyear timeline and that is NOT BB.....MS is still too nebulous, android may not be here (enterprise doesn't want to deal with patent infringement issues)

most i talk with are discussing not if , but WHEN to leave BB behind, as an IT manager has told me,

BB left us hanging and behind with no development--BB left us long time ago , we are "out of here"

with this iMessage built into ios5, well now, that was one of many tipping points
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In contrast, Apple sold 20.34 million iPhones and 9.25 million iPads its its most recent quarter, although the two company's fiscal quarters cover slightly different periods.

I don't think its fair for any company to be compared to apple at t his point
  • Reply 46 of 47
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    The Canadian carrier Rogers, with strong historical ties to RIM is now offering the playbook for up to 1/2 price to employees. Combined with the $100 MasterCard from RIM, a $500 16GB model would cost $150.

One step away from the public firesale, I think.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The Canadian carrier Rogers, with strong historical ties to RIM is now offering the playbook for up to 1/2 price to employees. Combined with the $100 MasterCard from RIM, a $500 16GB model would cost $150.

One step away from the public firesale, I think.

This is so sad it's not funny anymore. It's just... sad.