pc user ready to take the leap...but?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Let me ask you guys! Im getting ready to replace our desktop with an imac, but im finding it difficullt to make a decision. When I look at pc's the come off the shelf with 10 to 12 gigs of memory, an imac comes off the shelf with 4. I know im comparing apples and oranges, but as far as ram is concerned what is a real world comparison of speed and reliability. For example, is 4 gigs in an imac = to 4 gigs in a pc? also, if we are using if just junk...syncing ipod's and ipad's...do I need the upgraded video card or can I get by with standard one offered on the mc813ll, or should i pay the extra $ and get the mc814ll?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Oh, gosh. Model numbers.

First, welcome.

Second, don't use model numbers. There's a reason Apple has names for its computers. Use them. I'd venture that absolutely no one here knows ANY model numbers off the top of their heads.

If you're not doing anything graphically intensive, don't bump the GPU.

PCs don't come standard with 10-12 GB of RAM. Not yet, anyway. You'll be perfectly fine with 4. This isn't Windows. OS X isn't a whore when it comes to resources.

We could serve your needs better if you can give us a list of the primary uses of this machine, too.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mglov View Post

.... When I look at pc's the come off the shelf with 10 to 12 gigs of memory, an imac comes off the shelf with 4. I know im comparing apples and oranges, but as far as ram is concerned what is a real world comparison of speed and reliability. For example, is 4 gigs in an imac = to 4 gigs in a pc? ...

Tallest Skil is correct. MacOS X uses the UNIX virtual memory system. Windows does not compare. With 4 GB RAM installed, you will keep numerous applications open on your Mac and see no degradation in performance.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Tallest Skil is correct. MacOS X uses the UNIX virtual memory system. Windows does not compare. With 4 GB RAM installed, you will keep numerous applications open on your Mac and see no degradation in performance.

I've done the same thing when I boot into windows. Yes OSX runs well enough with 4GB of ram, but please don't mislead the guy here. I use plenty of applications which recommend more under OSX. It really comes down to what you're using and how you're using it. Considering Lion is now fully 64 bit as far as I can tell, the machine is forced to process information in larger chunks. This inherently uses more ram. I can't believe you guys wouldn't at least ask what he's running before offering advice on how much ram to use.

Can you provide some examples of what software you're using and how you are using it?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

I can't believe you guys wouldn't at least ask what he's running before offering advice on how much ram to use.

I did.

Quote:

Can you provide some examples of what software you're using and how you are using it?

Yes, do. This will help immensely in guiding you to the machine to which you are best suited.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, gosh. Model numbers.

This isn't Windows. OS X isn't a whore when it comes to resources.

That some funny s**t right there.