I love France

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 41
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>Unfortunately TI, I believe 110% in the

I love Europe and I'm a twenty-something who lives it and breathes it every day and not a single person my age that I know is against it. Its brought me to have my best friends to be composed of Finns, Swedes, Belgians, Swiss, Italians, Spanish.... and the list goes on.

Dont try and destroy something that will never go away, if anything, help make it better! Don't like certain things? Well, pitch in!

Sorry... but talking about the EU always makes me happy since its something I would never and could never doubt.

[ 09-15-2002: Message edited by: ZO ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm very much a pro European and have friends from all over Europe as well. That friendship isn't dependant on some political union like the EU. What the EU does is taking important political decisions. These decisions are now taken faraway (In Brussels) from most of the people they are suppose to serve. This will lead to less political awareness and debate among the rank and file and that's very dangerous. It simply gives too much power to the EU politicians. Try and ask your friends what issues are top of the agenda in Brussels now.I bet they don't know. At least in my country (Denmark) most people haven't a clue what's going on there.

I'm well aware that travelling and integrating within the union is easier now and that's all good. But I for one do not ignore all the negative impact it has had. I'll name just a few.

1. Prices for food and most daily goods have gone up substantially in most countries.

2. Here in Denmark car prices have gone up some 15% because of new EU regulations regarding car prices.

3. Millions of £ are taken from more profitable food production countries to keep none profitable production going elsewhere.

4. It's more difficult now to immigrate outside the EU and import/export from the outside is more complicated as well.

5.The number of EU regulations coming out every week are often very expensive to implement, especially for the smaller countries. In the end the price is paid in more expensive goods within the EU.

6. If the ?uro is going to work in the long run, it's pretty much dependant on similarly stable economical situation all over Europe. A recession in one country will now call for financial support of the other countries as nations no longer have their own currency to 'balance their books'. In other words, if Portugal or any other nation seriously 'fvcks up' their economy, we will all pay for it.

I'm well aware that there are lots of benefits from membership of the EU. But we should not only look at the one side of the coin. The EU is becoming a HUGE beurocratic monster, a monster that's more and more expensive to run year by year. The cost of running the local governments on the other hand is NOT going down and that was supposed to be one of the benefits of membership

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>