iPhone 4S preorders suggest 3M sales at launch, 25M this quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

So do we expect to wait another 15 months before the iPhone 5 ? Some are predicting q3 of 2012. I can't wait for Wednesday to see how iOS 5 runs on my iPhone 4. Then I'll see if I will upgrade in late nov or hopefully wait until sep or oct to upgrade

15 month would put it at calendar Q1 of 2013. I personally think they will be doing 12 month cycle in the Autumn with the iPad release when the Earth is on the other side of the Sun.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

This site gives some insight into the iPhone upgrade cycles.

http://www.iSights.org/2011/10/the-i...ade-cycle.html

Basically, there are major cycles and minor cycles, with the major cycles rather strategically placed during the middle of the contract period. In that way Apple tries to entice people to upgrade mid-cycle.

What also entices folks like me to buy into this *minor* upgrade is how early AT&T allows a subsidized upgrade. I got my iP4 in June 2010 and I am already eligible, a short 16 months into a 24 month contract. In the face of competition, AT&T must really want to ensure that they retain existing customers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the original iPhone did NOT allow for video recording, which is contrary to the info found on the iSights.org website. (above link)
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

What also entices folks like me to buy into this *minor* upgrade is how early AT&T allows a subsidized upgrade. I got my iP4 in June 2010 and I am already eligible, a short 16 months into a 24 month contract. In the face of competition, AT&T must really want to ensure that they retain existing customers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the original iPhone did NOT allow for video recording, which is contrary to the info found on the iSights.org website. (above link)

That site is complete bollocks. Besides the obvious fact that new to iPhone buyers are buying year round he keeps reciting "new form factor, then upgrades" yet we see the iPhone 4 as being a new form factor with "IPS Retina display. 5MP camera. HD 720p video. Front-facing camera for use with Facetime. Faster. Better battery life." It's upgrades with every revision, regardless of a case change.

Now if the site claimed that Apple will be using a 2-year cycle for updating their case design because people are on 2 year contracts -and- because it's hard to come up with a radically new design every 12 months then I'd agree, to an extent. I'm not even convinced Apple will radically change the iPhone 4/4S case next year. If something is working for you you don't throw it away unless you have something better on the ready.

PS: Yeah, no video recording for original iPhone. The jailbreak community proved it was possible and that Apple was just trying to force you to buy the next iPhone by releasing an app that did something like 12fps with a really low resolution.

PPS: You must pay for a more expensive plan than I do (or on a family plan) with AT&T because I'm not eligible until mid-November and know others who aren't eligible until the end of November, yet we all pre-ordered the iPhone 4 immediately.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Yeah, no video chat for original iPhone. The jailbreak community proved it was possible and that Apple was just trying to force you to buy the next iPhone by releasing an app that did something like 12fps with a really low resolution.

Both I, and I believe the iSights website, were referring to video recording...and that wasn't until iP3GS, no? Although, I think, jailbreaking of any model iPhone would allow for either chat or recording.

Not on the family plan but have an iP3 & 4 on the plan. I checked for sh*ts and giggles and was surprised I was eligible but I'm happy for now. The refreshes and boosts were nice, both consumer and shareholder-wise, but not worth it for me just yet. I have a daughter coming of age so I'm planning my upgrade around her.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Both I, and I believe the iSights website, were referring to video recording. Although, I think, jailbreaking of any model iPhone would allow for either chat or recording.

Mea culpa. I meant to write recording, not chat. The rest of that statement should make sense now. It was basically taking multiple small still shots and creating a MJPEG video, if I recall correctly. The HW simply wasn't designed for proper video recording.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Besides the obvious fact that new to iPhone buyers are buying year round he keeps reciting "new form factor, then upgrades" yet we see the iPhone 4 as being a new form factor with "IPS Retina display. 5MP camera. HD 720p video. Front-facing camera for use with Facetime. Faster. Better battery life." It's upgrades with every revision, regardless of a case change.

I think it lists upgrades with every version, including faster and better battery life each time. It's just that the major redesigns seem to hit during the even years (and mid-contract starting with the 3G), with internal upgrades alternating during the odd years.