Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz, 73% faster than iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?

Because some people are bad at math.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?

Reading comprehension. Or lack of?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    I just hope iOS 5 isn't optimized for 4s and it doesn't make iPhone 4 uselessly slow like iOS 4 did iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them. As we saw with the original iPad's A4 chip and the iPhone 4's A4 chip, one had double the amount of RAM as the other.

Again we already know that both iPad 2 and iPhone 4S have the same amount of RAM -512MB so that analogy is meaningless.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Again we already know that both iPad 2 and iPhone 4S have the same amount of RAM -512MB so that analogy is meaningless.

The A5 chip isn't a RAM chip. It contains RAM. It also contains many other components.

What you have failed to tell us is why you think that both chips are EXACTLY the same simple because the amount of RAM is the same. Even the manufacture of the RAM and speed of the RAM could be different, even among the RAM, yet you don't seem to understand the basic logic behind the chip's designation or that Apple has already released two A4 chips that were not identical.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

The A5 chip isn't a RAM chip. It contains RAM. It also contains many other components.

What you have failed to tell us is why you think that both chips are EXACTLY the same simple because the amount of RAM is the same. Even the manufacture of the RAM and speed of the RAM could be different, even among the RAM, yet you don't seem to understand the basic logic behind the chip's designation or that Apple has already released two A4 chips that were not identical.

No YOU have failed to tell us WHAT "specs aren't the same" as you've claimed. I've been waiting to hear what YOU know that know one else seems to.

Fill us in.

BTW- I've never claimed the 2 A4 chips weren't different as one had 256RAM and one had 512MB of RAM. I can both read and comprehend.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I just hope iOS 5 isn't optimized for 4s and it doesn't make iPhone 4 uselessly slow like iOS 4 did iPhone 3G.

See the benchmark tests elsewhere on this site. iOS 5 significantly increased the speed of the iPhone 4 on at least one benchmark, so I don't think your fears are founded.

Quote:

To be fair, there was one report from the guy who did the 4S game demo that indicated that the 4S has 512 MB.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

No YOU have failed to tell us WHAT "specs aren't the same" as you've claimed. I've been waiting to hear what you know that know one else seems to.

Fill us in.

Arguments don't work that way. You're the one who is claiming they are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. I only pointed out your fallacy. So, again, tell us why you are so damn sure these chips are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. We're waiting...
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

To be fair, there was one report from the guy who did the 4S game demo that indicated that the 4S has 512 MB.

I'm not sure what's you're being fair about. iKoi thinks the chips are exactly the same because the RAM capacities are the same. I explained that isn't proof. He doesn't understand how that can't be possible because he doesn't understand how complex this PoP/SoCs are.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Arguments don't work that way. You're the one who is claiming they are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. I only pointed out your fallacy. So, again, tell us why you are so damn sure these chips are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. We're waiting...

Quote:

1) The specs aren't the same.

You owe us all an explanation.

You made a facto absoluto. Not me. What are You so keen to that alludes us all.

Waiting......................

Patiently.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

You owe us all an explanation.

You made a facto absoluto. Not me. What are keen to that alludes us all.

Waiting......................

Patiently.

Your argument from that previous thread was that the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 devices had the same exact specs as noted by your comment, "the specs [of the iPhone 4S] are the same as iPad 2", not specifically the A5 chip. I clearly stated they did not as evidenced by my links below.
    Don't think we didn't notice you deleting the second point I made in post. I then tried to break you of your poor logic by breaking you out of your assumption hole (or ass.hole, for short) by clearly explaining, "Don't think that both [the iPhone 4S and iPad 2] having a general classification of A5 on the chip means the A5's are the same."

In this thread for which you disagreed, I stated, "You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them."

Yet somehow you still think that having the same amount of RAM means that every other aspect of the A5 is exactly the same. Waiting for an answer...
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

Your argument from that previous thread was that the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 devices had the same exact specs as noted by your comment, "the specs [of the iPhone 4S] are the same as iPad 2", not specifically the A5 chip. I clearly stated they did not as evidenced by my links below.
    Don't think we didn't notice you deleting the second point I made in post. I then tried to break you of your poor logic by breaking you out of your assumption hole (or ass.hole, for short) by clearly explaining, "Don't think that both [the iPhone 4S and iPad 2] having a general classification of A5 on the chip means the A5's are the same."

In this thread for which you disagreed, I stated, "You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them."

Yet somehow you still think that having the same amount of RAM means that every other aspect of the A5 is exactly the same. Waiting for an answer...

Nice try- like fools gold.

I'd love to give your full quote now and bore everyone here while you keep playing dodge ball.

You stated after "1.) The specs aren't the same" that

"2) Don't think that both having a general classification of A5 on the chip means the A5's are the same. Note the iPad's 'A4' chip came with 256MB RAM whilst the iPhone 4's A4 came with 512MB RAM."

And I said that's not the case here. Prove to me now how 512 does not = 512 for this A5 yet last year's A4 at 256 and 512 were only different in respect to their RAM alone. again - WHAT SPECS?

Lot's of luck.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member
    "Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz"

Lol...No. The GPU is probably 200-300MHz, the processor cores are at 800. The whole SoC does not operate at one speed.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    There really arent any surprises or anything to truthfully boast about. The A5 is a great processor with the best GPU bar none so far. The A5 spanking everything graphics related is expected.

Browser wise is where its quite interesting as iOS5 seems to have brought numerous improvements that bests Honeycomb ever so slightly running on the Tegra 2, while subsequently blowing out Gingerbread. Gingerbread devices do not utilize multiple cores (Honeycomb does) when using the browser (a simple Google search backs this up) so iOS5 even on the iPhone 4 crushes even the best Android devices due to this, and this is because of Google.

While iOS5 has lept past Gingerbread and Honeycomb, it will be interesting so see the performance of iOS5 vs Ice Cream Sandwich, which "should" have all the underpinnings of Honeycomb plus any possible improvements Google has added to its V8 engine.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2

Agreed, specs wise there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Although will wait until iFixit have a look. Maybe they are just waiting until it comes out of Beta, but even if it's slightly less useful than on the iPhone right now, it'll still be a good addition.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    So does this mean the chip is underclocked and could be unlocked to 1GHZ?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

There really arent any surprises or anything to truthfully boast about. The A5 is a great processor with the best GPU bar none so far. The A5 spanking everything graphics related is expected.

Browser wise is where its quite interesting as iOS5 seems to have brought numerous improvements that bests Honeycomb ever so slightly running on the Tegra 2, while subsequently blowing out Gingerbread. Gingerbread devices do not utilize multiple cores (Honeycomb does) when using the browser (a simple Google search backs this up) so iOS5 even on the iPhone 4 crushes even the best Android devices due to this, and this is because of Google.

While iOS5 has lept past Gingerbread and Honeycomb, it will be interesting so see the performance of iOS5 vs Ice Cream Sandwich, which "should" have all the underpinnings of Honeycomb plus any possible improvements Google has added to its V8 engine.

If history repeats itself those 1.2GHz w/ 1GB RAM Android-based devices will still less Floyd and smooth than te iPhone 4S at ~800MHz /w 512MB RAM, and ICS Android Browser will still beat Mobile Safari in most synthetic and real world benchmarks.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

If history repeats itself those 1.2GHz w/ 1GB RAM Android-based devices will still less Floyd and smooth than te iPhone 4S at ~800MHz /w 512MB RAM, and ICS Android Browser will still beat Mobile Safari in most synthetic and real world benchmarks.

Waiting.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them. As we saw with the original iPad's A4 chip and the iPhone 4's A4 chip, one had double the amount of RAM as the other.

I think what some are missing is even if this was the exact same physical A5 chip which would be more cost effective for Apple that doesn't mean clocking won't change.

Things like power consumption, heat and several other factors given the size limitation of the iPhone and the iPhone battery size is more then enough reason for Apple to adjust clock settings even if they were using the exact same chip.

Apple does this all the time. I remember when the first Alu iMac was released it actually had a ATI HD2600XT gpu in it but Apple decided to clock it to the specs of an 2600gt most likely to control heat.

It would make sense for Apple to use the same chip and just modify the setting to suit the given device. No doubt we will get a tear down from someone once the device is released.

I wanted to edit this to add something. I don't see any reason for a RAM increase on either the iPhone or iPad unless the resolution on the iPad increased a good bit. On my one Android device I need every bit of RAM I can get because the OS simply isn't optimized as well as iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

If it works as shown... Lots of Apple technology looks great until it gets into the field and doesn't work quite right in the field...

Right. Like the whole iPod fad. And how about Mac. And iPhone. And iPad. The whole multitouch thing. iTunes Music Store. The App Store. All the shit that everyone copies. None of that works quite right in the field.