Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz, 73% faster than iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New Geekbench scores of the forthcoming iPhone 4S show that its custom-built A5 CPU is clocked at 800MHz, while the dual-core processor gives it a 73 percent performance boost than the iPhone 4.



The new figures from AnandTech show the iPhone 4S with an overall Geekbench score of 623, easily besting the 800MHz A4 CPU found in the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4S processor is clocked slower than the 1GHz A5 CPu found in the iPad 2, which earned a score of 751.



And in terms of its graphics processing capabilities, the iPhone 4S lived up to claims of being seven times faster than the iPhone 4. In one test, the iPhone 4S earned a score of 73.1 while the iPhone 4 took 11.2, and in another the iPhone 4S clocked a score of 122.7, compared to 15.3 for the iPhone 4.



GPU scores for the iPhone 4S, like the overall CPU score, were slightly slower than the iPad 2. But they also easily bested the competition, including the Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse 4G, and Motorola Droid Bionic, all of which feature processors with higher clock speeds.



The site noted that while lowering the clock speed of the A5 from 1GHz in the iPad 2 to 800MHz in the iPhone 4S results in a "marginal loss" in performance, but "yields a greater-than-linear decrease in power consumption," offering the handset even greater battery life.







"At a lower operating frequency than its Android competitors, Apple does have to exploit its strengths in software to avoid any tangible performance penalties," authors Anand Lai Shimpi and Brian Klug wrote. "Apple has traditionally done this very well in the past, so I don't expect the loss of frequency to be a huge deal to the few who cross-shop iOS and Android."



The testing also correlated with earlier results that showed the iPhone 4S will offer a huge leap in performance over the iPhone 4 in its Mobile Safari Browser. In SunSpider Javascript Benchmark tests, where a lower score is better, the iPhone 4S earned 2222, compared to 3921 for the iPhone 4 and 5785 for the iPhone 3GS.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2
  • Reply 2 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    GPU scores for the iPhone 4S, like the overall CPU score, were slightly slower than the iPad 2. But they also easily bested the competition, including the Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse 4G, and Motorola Droid Bionic, all of which feature processors with higher clock speeds.



    Cue all the trolls who are going to start whining that the test isn't meaningful and the iPhone's specs are inadequate.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2



    Nonsense. First, these tests show that the iPhone 4S is anywhere between almost twice as fast and up to 7 times as fast as the iPhone 4 (with OpenCL, software might be using the GPL). Second, IIRC, most of these tests are single threaded. If Siri is multithreaded, you get another two-fold improvement.



    Clearly, the 4S is dramatically faster than the 4.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Cue all the trolls who are going to start whining that the test isn't meaningful and the iPhone's specs are inadequate.







    Nonsense. First, these tests show that the iPhone 4S is anywhere between almost twice as fast and up to 7 times as fast as the iPhone 4 (with OpenCL, software might be using the GPL). Second, IIRC, most of these tests are single threaded. If Siri is multithreaded, you get another two-fold improvement.



    Clearly, the 4S is dramatically faster than the 4.



    You completely mis-read the other guy's post. He was asking why Siri isn't on the iPad 2, which is in every way a more powerful device than the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 7,641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2



    No reason related to hardware or software viability.



    There are other reasons in the world.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    You completely mis-read the other guy's post.



    Nothing new. I find that sort of response to my posts on a regular basis.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    When checking perfomance you MUST take in more than just FPS. Code and processes get tweeaked with harware hooks and vocabulary. The FPS rate on a iProduct is always faster the either Android or Windows. Apple has this nifty little way they drop error correction and average frame data. It is faster and I think it at times for what it is used on is the way to go. But bottom line is how many calculations per second can the device do. Lets redo these charts with GPU and CPU averaged against battery consumption. Then I would say the person that wrote it was serious and not just a fan with a very liberal agenda. With out this your only showing the good and not the bad. A review has to be biased to be believed.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2



    Dave, I read on another site that Siri is actually running on a seperate chip within the iPhone 4S - So, there may still be a hardware limitation. I don't think we'll be sure, however, until there are tear downs to verify new additional hardware.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSUDaniel View Post


    Dave, I read on another site that Siri is actually running on a seperate chip within the iPhone 4S - So, there may still be a hardware limitation. I don't think we'll be sure, however, until there are tear downs to verify new additional hardware.



    Well at least we can agree that the next iPad will get Siri - an iPad 2S? Forget that retina display- Apple will milk Siri firstly.

    Someone is gonna get a nice iPad 2 from me if it remains Siri-less, seriously.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post


    Well at least we can agree that the next iPad will get Siri - an iPad 2S? Forget that retina display- Apple will milk Siri firstly.

    Someone is gonna get a nice iPad 2 from me if it remains Siri-less, seriously.



    If it works as shown... Lots of Apple technology looks great until it gets into the field and doesn't work quite right in the field...
  • Reply 10 of 48
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfweezel View Post


    When checking perfomance you MUST take in more than just FPS. Code and processes get tweeaked with harware hooks and vocabulary. The FPS rate on a iProduct is always faster the either Android or Windows. Apple has this nifty little way they drop error correction and average frame data. It is faster and I think it at times for what it is used on is the way to go. But bottom line is how many calculations per second can the device do. Lets redo these charts with GPU and CPU averaged against battery consumption. Then I would say the person that wrote it was serious and not just a fan with a very liberal agenda. With out this your only showing the good and not the bad. A review has to be biased to be believed.



    Maybe you can translate that to english so we can comment on it, because right now I don't have a clue what you are saying.



    Are you implying Apple deliberately puts benchmark hooks into iOS to make their devices look better? Not sure I'm following you here...
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?
  • Reply 12 of 48
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?



    Hmmm... \
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2



    I can think of one, licensing costs. The voice recognition they are using is licensed from Nuance and there is a good chance there are other technologies that they need to license to make Siri possible. It doesn't make sense to pay licensing costs to add features to the millions of iPad2's they have already sold. Also the margins are a bit smaller for the iPad, so the additional costs may throw off the pricing structure of the current generation of iPads. I wouldn't expect to see it until the next generation of iPads come out.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Nonsense. First, these tests show that the iPhone 4S is anywhere between almost twice as fast and up to 7 times as fast as the iPhone 4 (with OpenCL, software might be using the GPL). Second, IIRC, most of these tests are single threaded. If Siri is multithreaded, you get another two-fold improvement.



    Clearly, the 4S is dramatically faster than the 4.





    They were talking about the iPad2 which has an A5 as well... before you call "Nonsense" make sure you're not full of it yourself
  • Reply 15 of 48
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Interesting that the Original iPad was not in the benchmarks? Unless I missed it somehow...
  • Reply 16 of 48
    The tech community remains unimpressed with those charts. They all wanted to see an iPhone 5 and anything less doesn't cut it. The iPhone 4S still looks like the iPhone 4 and leaders of tech didn't want to wait 16 months to see a rerun. Android smartphone vendors put out a completely new smartphone every month and that's the standard smartphone cycle that Apple is expected to match. A two-year old recycled iPhone 4 meant iDisappointment from tech-heads and pundits everywhere.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Does that mean vacuous conversations overheard in public will now be 73% quicker as well? We can hope...
  • Reply 18 of 48
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    So that GLBenchmark, is it taken seriously? Is it impressive how much better the 4s does than the 4, or is that just because of software mainly?



    If it actually does a good job of showing the processing power of the new chip, that's an incredible difference. Wowza
  • Reply 19 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aknabi View Post


    They were talking about the iPad2 which has an A5 as well... before you call "Nonsense" make sure you're not full of it yourself



    You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them. As we saw with the original iPad's A4 chip and the iPhone 4's A4 chip, one had double the amount of RAM as the other.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?



    gotta keep AAPL up after SJ died
Sign In or Register to comment.