Apple releases iTunes 10.5 with iOS 5 wireless syncing, iTunes Match

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Now that I've updated (and have working) iTunes 10.5 I guess I'm ready for iOS 5. Has Apple said when it will be available other than tomorrow? I have no problem being up at midnight if I need to be but it seems like it may be a mid-morning or early afternoon thing.

Any idea?
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Also, I wanted to throw out that Apple is probably going to have a lot of hiccups with Match. Neither iOS not iTunes is "ready"; they both seem like they're getting there but not quite solid yet.

What does that mean? Can you be more specific? What works? Does not work?
  • Reply 43 of 70
    We are still waiting on a Lion update also. There needs to be an iCloud icon in the Sys Pref Network panel.

iCloud Icon
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Just updated iTunes to the 10.5 public release. Both of my iOS devices (an iPhone 4 and an original iPad) were already running iOS 5 GM. Both iOS devices are plugged into AC wall outlets. The iOS devices are not seen by (and will not wireless sync to) my MacBook Pro.

Before iTunes 10.5, I would normally sync both of my iOS devices (via tethered docks) to my mid-2009 MacBook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.1. In iOS 5 (on both devices), under General, iTunes WiFi Sync it says: "Sync will resume when "Rockarollr's MacBook Pro" is available. The "Sync Now" button is greyed out - also on both iOS devices. Using the same MacBook Pro, I did one last "tethered sync" with both iOS devices before trying to test the WiFi Sync capability of iTunes 10.5.

iTunes 10.5 has been up and running on the MacBook Pro during my attempts at WiFi syncing. I'm using an Airport Extreme simultaneous dual-band wireless router for my WiFi network and all devices are connected to the same network channel. I'm really stumped here!

Any suggestions on getting WiFi sync to work in this scenario? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    iTunes 10.5 did not recognize my original iPhone at all when tethered to the USB port. It just beeps.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Arrgghhh! Still no dice. itunes 10.5 (under 10.6.8 w/all updates installed) will not launch. Hangs completely every-time. I've reset the pram, fixed disk permissions, reinstalled twice. Still a no go. >

Uninstall Safari 5 then reinstall an older version of Safari and it will work..there is something in Safari 5 that makes itunes not work.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Just updated iTunes to the 10.5 public release. Both of my iOS devices (an iPhone 4 and an original iPad) were already running iOS 5 GM. Both iOS devices are plugged into AC wall outlets. The iOS devices are not seen by (and will not wireless sync to) my MacBook Pro.

Before iTunes 10.5, I would normally sync both of my iOS devices (via tethered docks) to my mid-2009 MacBook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.1. In iOS 5 (on both devices), under General, iTunes WiFi Sync it says: "Sync will resume when "Rockarollr's MacBook Pro" is available. The "Sync Now" button is greyed out - also on both iOS devices. Using the same MacBook Pro, I did one last "tethered sync" with both iOS devices before trying to test the WiFi Sync capability of iTunes 10.5.

iTunes 10.5 has been up and running on the MacBook Pro during my attempts at WiFi syncing. I'm using an Airport Extreme simultaneous dual-band wireless router for my WiFi network and all devices are connected to the same network channel. I'm really stumped here!

Any suggestions on getting WiFi sync to work in this scenario? Any help would be appreciated.

I'd wait until you have 10.7.2 before worrying about it any more.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I was thinking that might be the issue. It's the only logical piece of the puzzle that's missing that might also be necessary. I'm guessing that the 10.7.2 update will be released sometime between now and tomorrow morning. I'll wait until then before concerning myself with it any further.

Thank you kindly for your input!
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by propel View Post

I have at last count 42872 itunes songs. Too bad for me you are limited to 25000.

Any word on how Match handles libraries bigger than 25k? I'm still hoping they allow selecting which songs are synced and ignoring the rest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Because there is no way in heck I'm going to install 10.5.1. right now.

Maybe you missed it in the thread and article but the new public version released was 10.5. 10.5.1 is a beta release so it won't even show up unless you're a developer. The main reason to update to 10.5 is compatibility with iOS 5 which should be released tomorrow. Looks like the wireless syncing option is already available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

No iTunes Match or iTunes in the Cloud for me, is it US-only?

Match is not released to the public yet, end of the month. At this point it's still in beta, in the hands of developers.

Quote:

I believe you have to do one wired sync, after that wireless should work. Have you tried that?
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

On the main menu in iTunes (where the picture of your iPhone/iPad will be) there's an option to sync over WiFi. I think this is new with 10.5 proper?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT: To reply to the correct person!

Quote:

I was thinking that might be the issue. It's the only logical piece of the puzzle that's missing that might also be necessary. I'm guessing that the 10.7.2 update will be released sometime between now and tomorrow morning. I'll wait until then before concerning myself with it any further.

Thank you kindly for your input!

Works fine once I did as above. Both iPhone and iPad are syncing wirelessly without being plugged into mains.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    rolyroly Posts: 76member
    One small observation is that swiping left and right to navigate backwards and forwards in iTunes now seems to work again, thankfully.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roly View Post

One small observation is that swiping left and right to navigate backwards and forwards in iTunes now seems to work again, thankfully.

Are you using a Magic Mouse? Cause I used to be able to do this, but not even this 10.5 update re-enabled it for me.....How I miss this feature.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Too lazy to follow the match link, so I'll pick the brains here.

So if I have all my CD's ripped, and I buy one year of itunes match, then will it download the matching itunes, and the following year I can cancel the itunes match and still have the higher quality matches?

If you ripped your CDs at less than 256 kbps, you don't care much about sound quality, so what does it matter?
  • Reply 54 of 70
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

On the main menu in iTunes (where the picture of your iPhone/iPad will be) there's an option to sync over WiFi. I think this is new with 10.5 proper?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT: To reply to the correct person!

Works fine once I did as above. Both iPhone and iPad are syncing wirelessly without being plugged into mains.

Boom. Problem solved

Quite excited to get my hands on iOS5
  • Reply 55 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Too lazy to follow the match link, so I'll pick the brains here.

So if I have all my CD's ripped, and I buy one year of itunes match, then will it download the matching itunes, and the following year I can cancel the itunes match and still have the higher quality matches?

Another story on AppleInsider says this:

"With the annual fee, users will be able to access their library of up to 25,000 songs from any device, and will be able to re-download songs via iTunes in the Cloud. Users will also be able to replace their matched files with higher quality 256Kbps iTunes Plus AAC files, even if the original copy is of lower quality."

Remember, though, this is from AI, not directly from Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Wow. Do you guys also like to exercise by jogging along the middle of the freeway at night? Wearing black clothes? Because there is no way in heck I'm going to install 10.5.1. right now. Why be a guinea pig? Wait until the bugs are worked out. I have a 4TB music collection I've collected and tagged extensively over 8 years, and no way, no how, am I going to risk it in even a small way by being an early adopter here.

Wow. Do you guy also wear a tin-foil hat? And live in an underground lair, with a Faraday cage so the aliens can't get to you? What's with the paranoia about updating a music app?

And it is stupid on top of it all: if you really value your 4TB music collection, then you'd have it BACKED UP. In which case, whatever iTunes does to it doesn't matter.

If you don't have it backed up, then you have MUCH WORSE problems awaiting to happen to those 4TB than a buggy iTunes...
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Remember, though, this is from AI, not directly from Apple.

Except that's exactly what Apple said at WWDC when it was introduced.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I don't get that Option screen when hooked up to my iPhone 4 or iPad.

Do you happen to have a developer version of OS 5 installed on your device(s)?

from the iTunes 10.5 help menu:
    "If you?re on a Wi-Fi network, and have iOS 5 installed on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad, you can sync your device without connecting it to your computer."
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Anyone else having issues with wifi sync using itunes 10.5 (released today 10-11-11) with the iOS 5 GM (iPhone 4) i cannot get this to work its annoying!!!
  • Reply 60 of 70
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaedre View Post

Anyone else having issues with wifi sync using itunes 10.5 (released today 10-11-11) with the iOS 5 GM (iPhone 4) i cannot get this to work its annoying!!!

Turn it on per device. Summary tab, Yo!