Time Machine thinks 2 MBPs are the same

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just got a new 13" MBP. Now I have two. When I went to back it up on time machine, it started backing it up as my other Macbook Pro. What should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    If they're named differently, this shouldn't be the case. Do you have the same name on both machines?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Originally i did, but I've since changed them (before I initially posted this problem). Unfortunately, the problem is still there.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Your first problem was naming the machines the same... once you do that, Time Machine used that name to identify the host(s) when they were backed up. Changing it later obviously wouldn't change Time Machine's idea of the host's name.

Have you tried using the Time Machine System Preferences pane, disassociating the backup volume and re-assigning it?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yeah, that was probably stupid

I'll try what you suggested.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I'm actually surprised by this. I would think that Time Machine would associate something more unique to the machine, rather than a name given by the user. I was about to name my new MBP the same name as my previous one, after I reformatted and gave away my old one, but decided to put the year in the name, thinking that it might be a problem with TM. I'm glad I did.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I did what Mike suggested and it worked! Thanks for your help Mike!