Apple expanding iPhone availability to smaller regional US carriers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I'm sure its more complicated than that. Sasktel, a regional carrier where I live, got the Phone last year, even though many other's don't. Windmobile is in Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, etc. and has only slightly less users for instance.

Yeah I have a theory about it all. Remember how Apple was trying to get those Motorola suits put aside b/.c w/the terms of their purchase by Google they can't defend their patents and Google can't yet make the needed decisions? I wonder if something similar is happening w/T Mobile. "We'd love to have the iPhone, but we're being bought by AT&T so we can't sign new contracts like that" isn't exactly a statement the CEO wants to ever have to make to the participants.

No clue if that is the case, but it would certainly answer the why of this case.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

This is the listed coverage area for CSpire from Wikipedia. They show a national coverage map on their website, but it's reasonably spotty, esp around the Rockies.

Memphis metropolitan area

Mississippi

Alabama

Florida Panhandle

Rome, Georgia

Question is will CSpire let people who are NOT in those area's sign up. I'm sure they would like the extra customers however since those new customers wouldn't be in the area's then the voice/data usage would be 100% OFF C-Spire's network so it might not be cost effective for them.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm not an engineer, but how difficult/expensive would it be for Apple to add the T-Mobile USA frequency to the iPhone? You'd think they were leaving money on the table.

I bet the limitation is physical. Because T-Mobile operates at a higher frequency, the antenna design on the iPhone would have to be adjusted, which would compromise it's performance at lower frequencies. And put simply, Apple doesn't want to do that.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I bet the limitation is physical. Because T-Mobile operates at a higher frequency, the antenna design on the iPhone would have to be adjusted, which would compromise it's performance at lower frequencies. And put simply, Apple doesn't want to do that.

Maybe they could add a third, internal antenna for those frequencies.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Looking at the FCC data for the iPhone I can't tell what UMTS bands it has outside of II (1900MHz) and V (850MHz). Last year the FCC listed the baseband as having 5 UMTS bands.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    C Spire prices are attractive , but the below Important Information is well Important

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Customers participating in this service must reside in the C Spire Network, which is defined as MS and generally in and surrounding Memphis/West Memphis, AR/nearby West TN, Mobile and Baldwin Counties in AL, and Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, and Walton Counties in FL.

Customers are required to use 50% of their voice and data usage within the C Spire network. The C Spire network is defined as the C Spire CDMA network in MS in Memphis/nearby West TN and West Memphis, AR, Mobile/Baldwin Counties in AL and Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, and Walton Counties in FL.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    thudthud Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeremyMc7 View Post

Couple of points here:

Provided C-Spire keeps their existing rate plans, which is often not the case with iPhone, of $50'ish/month with unlimited data and messaging this could provide some limited threat to the big guys (AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint) who's plans run close to double (or more) compared to C-Spire.

With C-Spire coming on board this opens the doors to other smaller guys like MetroPCS who has a $40'ish unlimited plan, Virgin Mobile, AllTel, Etc.

Well, I can already tell you: C-Spire's current rate plans are a little bit of a bait-and-switch. You're right, the $50 individual plan for 500 voice minutes + "infinite" messaging + "infinite" data sounds great, until you realize that C-Spire does not include streaming media in their data service. So any Pandora, Netflix, etc. that you might use on your device fall under an additional "streaming" plan.

Which is metered by the HOUR.

It's $5 for 2 hours of streaming, $10 for 5 hours, and $30 for unlimited. Now this rate applies whether you're watching an HD stream from Netflix or a low-bit-rate audio feed via your streaming radio app of choice. It's all by the hour. If you sign up before 10/29 you can get grandfathered in and avoid the hourly charges but I guarantee the iPhone will not be available until after that deadline has sailed by. It's a dumb pricing structure and one that I hope dies a quick death. I think C-Spire, and other smaller carriers, know that they're caught in a trap: they need the iPhone and the subscribers it brings but they know their networks aren't up to the task. I'd be wary, personally.

EDIT: Oh yeah, doesn't include tethering either.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Sure didn't stop the new Google phone Galaxy Nexus which has support for all 5 frequencies which HSPA+ and LTE.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    How long before Apple and Google each get into the wireless services?

Someone mentioned that Apple was "leaving money on the table" by not including T-mobile...

I predict one of them (Apple or Google) will force the hand of the other and eventually bid for a wireless carrier. All that profit they make for the telecoms will start to look really attractive at some point.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

T-Mobile's looking pretty dang pathetic right now, eh?

We are going to see a big 5 networks now?

Just kidding

Apple the kingmaker
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backdoc View Post

Why did they wait so long to announce?

I had made my mind up that I was leaving ATT. Cspire could have had my business. But, I reluctantly chose Verizon when cspire didn't appear to be getting the phone. I have a lucrative account (3 iPhone plans).

Well, I'm still within my remorse period. If they can sweeten the pot enough, I'll still switch.

Oh man, they totally called you and tried to leave you a message, but it must have gotten lost! They're so totally sorry they messed you up!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Maybe they could add a third, internal antenna for those frequencies.

They could put it in the gigantic, antenna shaped empty place inside the iPhone!
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How long before Apple and Google each get into the wireless services?

Someone mentioned that Apple was "leaving money on the table" by not including T-mobile...

I predict one of them (Apple or Google) will force the hand of the other and eventually bid for a wireless carrier. All that profit they make for the telecoms will start to look really attractive at some point.

Hopefully (for the shareholders) forever. Because wireless would be a terrible business for Apple.

What about Apple makes you think they'd like to get into a commodity business like that? They LOVE letting the utliities make tiny profits while they resell the result for huge profits. Why would Apple want to shoot themselves (in the head)?
  • Reply 34 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This T-Mobile issue has always made me chuckle because of the jail breakers crowing about how they use their ATT iPhones on the T-Mobile network. With them it's not about performance, it's just about thumping their chests and bragging.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Hopefully (for the shareholders) forever. Because wireless would be a terrible business for Apple.

What about Apple makes you think they'd like to get into a commodity business like that? They LOVE letting the utliities make tiny profits while they resell the result for huge profits. Why would Apple want to shoot themselves (in the head)?

Because then they'll have the full control of what to include and what not to include on their network So in the end, they get more profit. And that's really all the shareholders care about, anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Sure didn't stop the new Google phone Galaxy Nexus which has support for all 5 frequencies which HSPA+ and LTE.

Galaxy Nexus is GSM/UMTS with 14.4/5.76 HSPA and 21 HSPA+ -OR- CDMA/LTE. It is not a world phone like the iPhone. It also doesn't work on T-Mobile, and the GSM version is only available locked in Japan. In the US it is exclusive to Verizon.

Most phones on T-Mobile are specific to T-Mobile. The reason Apple isn't showing any interest in building T-Mobile AWS support into its global iPhone 4S is because, first of all, if Apple had the resources to add AWS support, it would do so for LTE service on Verizon, not for the pissant number of smartphone users on T-Mobile.

Secondly, T-Mobile's 3G/HSPA+ service is about to go away and become part of AT&T's LTE, rendering a T-Mobile-specific iPhone useless. Even if the merger is blocked, T-Mobile's owners have no interest in building it into a viable 4th network because it isn't viable as a company.

--

In general, when Apple releases a phone, it usually outs all the important details and hides the bs that isn't relevant. When Google/Samsung release devices, they spew a bunch of bullshit about Ghz and installed RAM and say things like "LTE/HSPA+!!" without actually revealing that no, it doesn't do that across carriers. (although Apple sort of pulled a fast one this time talking up 14.4 HSPA on iPhone 4S without clarifying that wasn't relevant to CDMA carriers).

This allows Android proponents to pick the best features of the expensive models and generalize about them being available across the Android platform when really they are not. So while there are global/high end Android phones and TMobile Android phone and profitable/popular Android phones, there are not any combinations of those things. Pick one!

With iPhone 4S, you can pick two, just not the TMobile part. Because that option will only be around for a year or so.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Galaxy Nexus is GSM/UMTS with 14.4/5.76 HSPA and 21 HSPA+ -OR- CDMA/LTE. It is not a world phone like the iPhone. It also doesn't work on T-Mobile, and the GSM version is only available locked in Japan. In the US it is exclusive to Verizon.

Even if the Galaxy Nexus was a world mode phone supporting all UMTS bands, including AWS, with CDMA and LTE it's not a good comparison when you compare the internal space between these phones. I'm surprised the iPhone 4S has as much as it has in such a small design.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Because then they'll have the full control of what to include and what not to include on their network So in the end, they get more profit. And that's really all the shareholders care about, anyway.

If only that was true. The small additional profit they would be able to make after many long years of HUGE capital expenses would be offset as far as the market is concerned by the incredibly low profit margins. ATT trades at a P/S of less than 2. Apple trades at more than double ATT's. The cell phone business would be TERRIBLe for Apple. Thankfully everyone running Apple knows how bad of an idea it would be, and I'm sure would laugh it off just as most people here do.

Plus, you're suggesting that Apple would run a less profitable network than ATT does, by allowing users to do things on that network that they can't on the big 4. Hilarious.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    notrsnotrs Posts: 46member
    I live within the C-Spire (formally Cellular South) network. Having been a previous customer for two years I can say from experience that they are a nightmare of a carrier. I now have AT&T and it is a DREAM compared to C-Spire.

In all fairness, their coverage is great (because it's really Verizon)

Everything else, however, was horrible.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I'm not an engineer, but how difficult/expensive would it be for Apple to add the T-Mobile USA frequency to the iPhone? You'd think they were leaving money on the table.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with AT&T acquisition. If AT&T acquisition of T-Mobile is approved, which will happen eventually, there is no reason for an iPhone on T-Mobile.