Samsung's new Galaxy Nexus designed to bypass Apple patents

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Trouble is that Samsung are competing in a market which is in a race to the bottom

Samsung just released two phones which are each among the most advanced on the market. Neither the Galaxy S2 nor the Nexus are anywhere near the bottom.

Your meme is not in touch with reality. The new meme has got to be "Yeah, well those Android phones might have better specs than the iPhone, and they may sell much better than iOS phones, but..."

And which market is Apple in, when it gives away iPhones for free?
  • Reply 62 of 116
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    This will be my next phone.....
  • Reply 63 of 116
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Aaahh so that's what the extra time gained from the delay, out of so called respect, was really used for. Keep the swords sharpened and be ready to draw it at any time. Either way. Better late than never, I suppose. I think google is pushing Samsung to not to copy. As Google cannot use having this image of being a copy cat and fake innovator. I think that the quality of Microsofts app store will surpass Googles in quality and quantity rather fast. They have an excellent development base and tools. WPF and Silverlight have been fairly hot in recent years. Since a lot about the Windows Phone XNA and silverlight framework are pretty similar they have a great of development potential. When Nokia comes out and windows phones will be more mainstream coming from samsung and HTC both companies will be eating from each others market. Let see how the future will unfold.

I'm guessing you don't know about the Nexus phones. They are "Google" phones in its purest form. The Nexus One was built by HTC and it didn't have their Sense UI on it, the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus are built by Samsung but does not have their crappy TouchWiz UI that makes their other phones look like iPhone copies.
  • Reply 64 of 116
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Samsung just released two phones which are each among the most advanced on the market. Neither the Galaxy S2 nor the Nexus are anywhere near the bottom.

Your meme is not in touch with reality. The new meme has got to be "Yeah, well those Android phones might have better specs than the iPhone, and they may sell much better than iOS phones, but..."

Which Android phone sells better than which iPhone? And on the subject of free phones - is Apple actually giving them away, or are they selling them to the carriers who give them away?
  • Reply 65 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Well, at least I know if my Samsung phone is dropped, it will survive... you can´t say that about iPhone 4S...

Glasses and aluminum??? Please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-18/t...ate?_s=PM:TECH

Yeah but will that pos samsung work after a 13,500 foot drop?
  • Reply 66 of 116
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Which Android phone sells better than which iPhone? And on the subject of free phones - is Apple actually giving them away, or are they selling them to the carriers who give them away?

it is always the carrier "giving them away", for all fully subsidised phones
  • Reply 67 of 116
    mzamza Posts: 1member
    the pride???hahaha dont kidding ? r your thief company have pride????
  • Reply 68 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Are you selling aluminum?

I never resale my phones, I have every phone that I bought, including my Samsung W880 the first and real 12Mpx phone, passing for the Behold II (one of the first Samsung Android phones in US), Galaxy S and Galaxy S II.

I love too much each of my phones to resale...

Do you love your phones, or is the real answer no one wants them, so it's impossible to resell them once you're done with them?

The great thing about Apple products is that they hold their value. Wish I owned an Apple I, for instance.
  • Reply 69 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If every company (including your precious Apple) removed every infringing product from the market there would be no market.

Why can't other companies innovate around the infringing product?
  • Reply 70 of 116
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

it is always the carrier "giving them away", for all fully subsidised phones

That was my point - and not restricted to the iPhone. Presumably Apple has no objection to iPhones being given away by the carriers, as long as they get paid.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    Quote:

Eh, I'm no Samsung fan. I think that's obvious.

I didn't say you were. I just said that it's puzzling that you get so worked up on this particular issue....
  • Reply 72 of 116
    Quote:

If every company (including your precious Apple) removed every infringing product from the market there would be no market.

Wtf are you talking about?!
  • Reply 73 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Apple gives nothing away.
  • Reply 74 of 116
    You know the best way to "bypass" Apple's patents? Don't slavishly copy their phone. I don't think that's what's happening here; they're just tossing out the part of the copy where they got caught.
  • Reply 75 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

It could be that Samsung copied and infringed just to bide time to stay in this level of smartphone game so they wouldn't be left so far behind. After all, if you get caught with your pants down it takes a while to come up with your own solution. Why not copy, steal and take a chance that you'll get away with it until you come up with your own *original* solution.

As the saying goes, "it's better to ask forgiveness than for permission." I think there is a solid argument to be made that Samsung weighed the risk of a lawsuit from Apple and decided it in their best long term interest (financially, of course) to infringe as much as need to get a solid hold of the modern smartphone industry. As it turns out Samsung seems to be profitable in the smartphone business and not too far from Apple in revenue. Ethical or not, there business strategy seems to be paying off.
  • Reply 76 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Heaven forbid any company defend their intellectual property. It would surly be the end of the world as we know it.

When did I say otherwise?

What I said was that if every company removed every product that infringes on some patent from the market there would literally be no market.
  • Reply 77 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

Why can't other companies innovate around the infringing product?

Why reinvent the wheel 100 times? Innovation isn't always the answer. Licensing is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wtf are you talking about?!

Really? Meaning every product everywhere infringes on at least one patent.
  • Reply 78 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As the saying goes, "it's better to ask forgiveness than for permission." I think there is a solid argument to be made that Samsung weighed the risk of a lawsuit from Apple and decided it in their best long term interest (financially, of course) to infringe as much as need to get a solid hold of the modern smartphone industry. As it turns out Samsung seems to be profitable in the smartphone business and not too far from Apple in revenue. Ethical or not, there business strategy seems to be paying off.

They could've done all that without the hideous retarded half brother of iOS that is touchwhiz.

The hardware didn't have to ape iPhones either.
  • Reply 79 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's exactly how I read into it. The interview articles I'm reading on other news sites seem to indicate Samsung knowingly disregarded Apple's patents and figured it could just ride on Apple's back until they get momentum to do their own thing and simply write off the court battles as the cost of doing business.

I think Samsung did a very good job of damaging their brand all on their own. I certainly go out of my way to avoid directly purchasing anything from Samsung. If I could buy my iPhone with a CPU not made by Samsung, I certainly would.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The point is that there is no real differentiator long term in Android. It's simply a race to the bottom. Just like the PC and laptop market - no one makes any money because everyone turns out the same thing. Same thing, different case. Which is exactly where Android is going.

As I said, Android is simply a race to the bottom.

The last race to the bottom was MS DOS and Windows. Microsoft in the 80s saw that the OS was the place to make money rather than the hardware. IBM bet the house on hardware. Who won? Let me give you a clue; it wasn't IBM.

The difference this time round is that no one is actually making from the OS either!

At the end of the day, most people aren't buying Samsung, they are buying Android. When 2 years is up, there is nothing that makes Samsung special and loyalty will be low.
  • Reply 80 of 116
    Funny enough, I am about to ditch my HTC Thunderbolt for an iPhone 4S. I've had it - absolutely had it - with the Android bugs. And rooting. And loading crappy ROMs. I will gladly forego flash. And free Google Maps nav - which sucks by the way. There is a reason why Google Nav is in BETA. I'd rather buy a navigation app from Apple's store.

I love my MBP and I've always wanted to have an iPhone. And I'm no longer waiting for 5. 4S will do!