Steve Jobs told biographer he 'cracked' the secret to a simple HDTV

Comments

• Reply 81 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Apple is a "whole widget" company so that is a no go. Last time it did something like that was with Motorola and the ROKR phone which didn't set the world on fire (although it probably gave Apple an idea on how NOT to make a phone).

Well, no. Apple authorizes all sorts of products designed to work with the ipod in its "Made for iPod" program. Same deal would apply here, except it would be called something like "Made for AppleTV".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The cable companies and the content creators control the interface.

Well, no again. Program content synopses, schedule listings and reviews are content anyone can buy. TiVo does this, packages it in their own interface, and sells it to subscribers. Some others, like Zap2It, AOL, and Yahoo!TV, do this as well but make their revenue in ads. The cable companies only control that interface if you let them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

??? One 50" TV takes up the shelf space of dozens of highly profitable iPhones and iPads. I can't see Apple sacrificing their store room space for these.

A very important but underrated reason why Apple will NOT make the whole TV. Just about anything else Apple makes at this point, a buyer can carry out of the store. Let Sears or Best Buy deal with the space needed to display TVs and then the hassle of their subsequent delivery. Yuck.
  • Reply 82 of 197
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Some times I get the feeling that people don't understand how large Apple is or the scope they have.

30 thousand employees. Stores in multiple countries.

1000s of Engineers

LCD panels...Apple knows about LCD panels as they buy just about more than any other single company.

When you look at the constituent elements needed for a Display Apple's has everything but the panel plant.
  • Reply 83 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Googles inexperience shone brightly in their Google TV fiasco. They didn't have the relationships built with the content industry. They thought they could just hijack a TV and come to the table and they failed. Apple has the contacts and content to make this happen.

Any TV is going to require an ATSC tuner but hopefully there will be a unique way of managing content that isn't encumbered by today's janky infrastructure.

Not really. Everyone and their brother chided Apple for not including an FM tuner on the iPod (and I would assume iPhone) because you just had to listen to radio. Now, there is things like TuneIn Radio bypassing that spectrum.

I doubt Apple is going to go backwards and include a tuner in such an television. Already, many broadcasters are offering their wares on the Internet. Why wouldn't Apple tap into that?

Because something would be left out? Something big and popular? Like the Beatles were from iTunes?
  • Reply 84 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Well, no. Apple authorizes all sorts of products designed to work with the ipod in its "Made for iPod" program. Same deal would apply here, except it would be called something like "Made for AppleTV".

Well, no again. Program content synopses, schedule listings and reviews are content anyone can buy. TiVo does this, packages it in their own interface, and sells it to subscribers. Some others, like Zap2It, AOL, and Yahoo!TV, do this as well but make their revenue in ads. The cable companies only control that interface if you let them.

A very important but underrated reason why Apple will NOT make the whole TV. Just about anything else Apple makes at this point, a buyer can carry out of the store. Let Sears or Best Buy deal with the space needed to display TVs and then the hassle of their subsequent delivery. Yuck.

"Made for iPod" means that there is a periphery for a whole widget called an iPod. That is waaay different than letting another company make the tv (widget) and apple just does the software (periphery). As for floor space for the tv's, Apple could have floor models and an off site warehouse for stock. Buy your tv and it gets delivered (maybe even set up) by a "media genius.". I doubt anybody is looking forward to lugging a 50" tv home in a sedan and it's not like the tv will cost a couple hundred bucks.
  • Reply 85 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Expect Samsung's entire line-up of HDTVs to copy the Apple TV within a year or so of its launch.

Yep!!
  • Reply 86 of 197
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Yep. This is happening people, accept it!
  • Reply 87 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Yep, that's what I thought too. No concept of channels or networks, just shows and movies. Tell it what you want to watch.

You: "I want to watch tonight's Mad Men"

Siri: "Here's tonight's episode of Mad Men"

You: "Play Monday Night Football"

Siri: "The game hasn't started yet, should I change to the game once it does?"

You: "Give me a list of episodes in Community, season 2"

Siri: "Here's a list of the episodes in season two of Community, would you like to watch one?"

As I read your post and think about it, that does sound rather intriguing... and attractive.

To be honest, giving spoken commands to my mobile iDevice doesn't intrigue me nearly as much as being able to command my TV without searching for the remote and then having to turn on the light to see which buttons I'm pushing.

I have an old version of Tivo on my DirecTV (so much better than what DirecTV offers in a DVR that I refuse their upgrade offers). I can imagine Siri married to a Tivo-like (season passes, searches by title, star, keyword, etc.), iOS based guide. I'm sitting here rubbing my credit card... having impure thoughts.

Hopefully this rumor has some basis or the concept gains momentum and turns into a product that many of us could justify buying.

This is the reason I became a member here and stopped being (just) a lurker. You folks say things that make me think... and it's nice to be able to respond.
  • Reply 88 of 197
    I could definitely see an improved Apple TV, but think Apple would have to do something REALLY different to compete against Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc. if anyone could pull this off it's Apple...
  • Reply 89 of 197
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I'm still not sold on that. Once the TV's internals get too old to run the company's latest OS, what do you do, toss it? Upgrade your HDTV as often as your phone?

No, but you would update it as often as you did your old desktop.

Many years ago I was talking to a TV salesman who knew little about computers. It was back in the days of expensive plasma TVs and desktop computers. He was lamenting that people would spend $3000 every couple of years to replace their computer, but would balk at doing the same thing with their TV.

Maybe Apple will finally usher in that era.

But the real answer is that you'll take the old TV and put it in the kid's playroom, older OS and all, just like you do now with your old TV sets.
  • Reply 90 of 197
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Microsoft are integrating voice commands into the X360 very soon. The demos look impressive and it all plugs in to the usual online video streaming services.

And what would this have to do with an Apple television?
  • Reply 91 of 197
    The HDTV industry is currently in a mode where they are tossing everything up on the wall and trying to see what sticks.

I "got" that 120Hz made pictures more fluid ...but couldn't see the point of 240hz and beyond

I "got" that local dimming was the "in" thing even though my eyes couldn't see a big diff.

I "got" that Avatar was great in 3D but I wasn't about to pay extra for goggles at home.

The reason why people aren't upgrading their sets is because there haven't been any major updates to technology other than larger panels. We've been sold on hz and widgets and 3D but that's just not getting consumers to scrap older tech that still works.

New ideas are needed IMO.
  • Reply 92 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Yep.

Nope.

Quote:

This is happening people, accept it!

Apple would lose 1 billion or more in the first quarter alone after an HDTV launch. It's idiotic.
  • Reply 93 of 197
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

television is ripe for disruption.

Especially one you can talk to. Although how it would hear you over a full volume Lady Gaga I'm not too sure about.
  • Reply 94 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's odd though, because given Apple's (Steve's) legendary secretiveness you'd almost have to think that speaking on record about such a thing was a sign they had decided not to go forward.

Or the quote was taken out of context and what he was talking about was basically the same Apple TV plug in box we have now. or perhaps a software they were going to consider licensing to Samsung etc, but not actually make a full tv.
  • Reply 95 of 197
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

No, but you would update it as often as you did your old desktop.

Many years ago I was talking to a TV salesman who knew little about computers. It was back in the days of expensive plasma TVs and desktop computers. He was lamenting that people would spend $3000 every couple of years to replace their computer, but would balk at doing the same thing with their TV.

Maybe Apple will finally usher in that era.

But the real answer is that you'll take the old TV and put it in the kid's playroom, older OS and all, just like you do now with your old TV sets.

Well, would they actually improve the performance of the HDTV substantially every 3 years like those computers? I don't think that's sustainable, even with the most brilliant of engineers. Some of the best sets from 3-4 years ago are still chart toppers today.

Making people buy a whole new HDTV just because the internals no longer support software updates, like old iphone models, that I can't get behind.
  • Reply 96 of 197
    I guess you could say the buzz out there has been about Apple working on a HDTV.

Sonos CEO says this of Apple's potential entry.

Interview with Sonos CEO John McFarlane

McFarlane says

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John McFarlane

And in my personal view, and I don?t think it?s terribly controversial now, is that Apple will come out with a TV and I think that it?s going to rapidly change that whole space.

Especially if iTunes starts pushing this HD+ format

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_service.html
  • Reply 97 of 197
    I agree with Tallest, sorry, Ireland.

There will be an external box that replaces your cable box, or accepts input from it. It will have SIRI and wll be the third iteration of the AppleTV. It will not have permanent DVR storage, but will have enough temporary storage for a few days's worth of programming. It will also have on-demand capability that is far more advanced than the current Apple TV.
  • Reply 98 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I agree with Tallest, sorry, Ireland.

There will be an external box that replaces your cable box, or accepts input from it. It will have SIRI and wll be the third iteration of the AppleTV. It will not have permanent DVR storage, but will have enough temporary storage for a few days's worth of programming. It will also have on-demand capability that is far more advanced than the current Apple TV.

http://allthingsd.com/20100601/d8-vi...tv-is-a-hobby/
  • Reply 99 of 197
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The simplest user interface you can imagine? That would be just one action, selecting the show you want to watch and it automatically starts playing. And since the TV is out of reach, pointing with your hand would be the most natural thing.

So I can imagine just sitting back on the couch and pointing at the screen, and it has a webcam that can read my arm movements, like MS is doing with games. I can't imagine much simpler than that, but Steve probably did!
  • Reply 100 of 197
    Quote:

And? I'm assuming Apple will have solidified many agreements with the content providers.

But there is no way in hell Apple will be in the IDTV business.