Apple television with iOS, Siri & FaceTime seen as $100B opportunity

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

You might have me sold if you add Siri to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GriGd6vdU

For now I use Elgatos eyetv on my 24" iMac for a second TV in my Bedroom.

I just bought 6 of them -- one for each wall, the ceiling and the floor...

I wonder if Ineed to order the pizza before they are installed
  • Reply 62 of 105
    recrec Posts: 217member
    There are a few details that I can conjecture on an Apple HDTV that I think are relatively certain:
    • It will be as much of a computer as it is a traditional TV.

• It will be iOS based. This could coincide with or have something to do with iOS 6.

• It will run Apps, and will represent a new App Market for developers. Same as what the iPad did.

• At this point I think its safe to assume Siri or some future non-beta version of it is built in.

• How will people control it? Voice, Airplay, iPods, iPhones, iPads. The remote would likely be a multitouch sheet of glass.

• It may be better to think of this thing as a giant iPod Touch on your wall than a TV set, but this will depend on the user and his usage I think.

• I would expect that they will find ways to make all existing apps compatible. This was a key feature of the iPad success, they'll want to keep that going.

• It talks to Apple's cloud and has access to all of your stuff (documents, pictures, music, videos, etc)

• It has a camera and Facetime. There could be advances here with face or spatial recognition of some kind. Any technology advances like this would be a boon for App developers looking to make some fun, killer apps in this new market.

• Local storage will be very small, but enough to hold apps and buffer video. Maybe 32GB.

• It is meant to be standalone and disruptive to existing markets. Cable boxes, bluray, dvd, traditional consoles like X360 and PS3 are intended to be obsolete. As such, external connections will be minimal. Heavy reliance on modern wireless technology. This is Apple doing what they do every so often- adding the new and leaving behind the old.

• I agree with the analyst theories that the basic killer app will be some new form of iTunes that is subscription based. This will compete very nicely against netflix and even traditional cable if Apple can expand the options a bit more while doing this.

• In terms of the technology upgrade cycle, local cpu horsepower and so on, being an iOS based computer-HDTV means that it won't be power restricted. The current generation of ARM cpus that all iOS devices are based on now scale up to 16 cores. I'm not suggesting they would put 16 A6 cores inside the set, but they'd probably put in more than what the battery limited devices have or will have anytime soon. This would future-proof the set somewhat, and would allow it to stay useful for years.

• It will be priced as low as Apple can make it, probably below expectations. How low? I think the iPad is the model here. The expectation was $1000, the reality was $500. Apple, contrary to belief and opinion, wants to make affordable computers. They want their technology in as many hands as possible. They have access to economies of scale and manufacturing capability they've never had before. If they wanted to price it competitively, and I think they can, then they probably will. The price I expect will be comparable to dumb-HDTV's at the time of release (So, my estimate, the $1000 range to start) but far more feature rich, different and clearly better for certain customers.

• Who wont want it? People who want traditional HDTV's. People who like ports and buttons. People who hate "lack of choice" and walled gardens. People who don't need or use a TV.

• Who will want it? People interested in technology and the future. People whose computer needs are enough that this IS their computer (ie, the vast masses). People who want to be able to talk to their home and have it obey orders, like every cheesy 80's scifi movie about the near future. =)

• Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Whether or not this is true is largely irrelevant at this point. The idiot analysts are already setting up absurd expectations ($100 B in revenues? Give me a break) that it will be impossible for Apple to meet. Now, if Apple only sells $50 B of HDTVs - or doesn't sell them at all but 'only' triples profit in their existing businesses, all the analysts and media can label Apple a failure again.

jr, you are so TOTALLY right! When I read the story, I was going to post almost the same comment, but after reading yours, no need!

Let the speculation begin
  • Reply 64 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You must have been laying really low for the past 5 years, but Apple is now considered the biggest, baddest and most successful tech company in the world. This whole inferiority/persecution complex really must stop.

I guess you missed the analysts' ravings over Apple's most recent results. After all, they only beat their own guidance by 50% on profits - so the analysts and media were quick to call them a failure.

This has been happening over and over lately. Someone comes up with some absurd number that they claim is Apple's target and when Apple fails to meet their instant figure, the "apple is failing" stuff starts all over.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

I'm inclined to agree with you. An upgraded Apple TV with Blu-Ray, Ethernet, Airport, HDMI, and cable tuner would do nearly as much - but the initial audience would be much greater (no need to wait until someone wants to replace their TV). It would also allow Apple to leverage their experience and would undoubtedly provide greater margins. Simplicity wouldn't be harmed much - plug HDMI into your TV and set the TV to HDMI input and everything else could be managed from the Apple TV.

But I have no idea what Apple's plans are. Maybe they've got something great up their sleeve. Maybe they don't. And, frankly, I don't really care. Wake me up when there's a real product.

Apple will NEVER release a blu-ray product that's built in. They're killing off disc media, remember?

Everything is wireless networking these days, so don't count on ethernet. The AppleTV already supports WiFi and has an HDMI-out (I bet it will eventually include Thunderbolt as well).
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theoldcoot View Post

Not portable enough for me. Other than than the Mac Pro and iMac's everything else Apple has sold is portable. This isn't.

It might gain traction because it is made by Apple over the short term but long term it won't be worth it, unless of course you can fold it up and take it to some place remote and set it up in less than two minutes and use it with a solar panel and is connected via satellite feed.

Not portable? I can grab it and slip it in my pocket. It's smaller than some Android phones.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    I was surprised that a new AppleTV wasn't released with the A5; part of me wonders if the slight-but-noticable lag during Airplay mirroring is because the A4 is too slow.

However, maybe the new AppleTV will feature the A6 and be released along with the iPad 3 in the spring.

Assuming it gets a faster processor and given it's faster internet signal (constant connection to WiFi) makes me think Siri will work even faster, giving it the ability to quickly select programming, search Netflix, pause, fast forward, etc.

The remote could just be a single button that activates Siri, along with a supplementary microphone
  • Reply 68 of 105
    can't help but be reminded of the Apple hifi that was ultimately a complete failure. They tried marketing that as a premium device and the public just kept buying the trusted brands they already know.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Apple would never produce "just another tv set with apple tv incorporated"

Imagine what Steve came up in the last two years:

- perfecting curved glass panels as no one else can do (his own words)

- what is the next step for tv besides Siri incorporation?

3D screens viewable without glasses ( see the patents apple has registered already)

- new TV concept has been cracked by Steve acording to his biography

So: the new apple tv could be

A glass bowl showing movies or tv shows as a volumetric 3-D image, kind of hologram, and with no remote control, but listening to Siri commands....

I can,t wait to buy one!
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Sorry, guys. This tv thing for $2-3k sounds like a complete crap.

Yep.

Quote:

I just could not resist:

Nor could I several months ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wirtzfeldvalley View Post

A glass bowl showing movies or tv shows as a volumetric 3-D image, kind of hologram, and with no remote control, but listening to Siri commands....

*blink*
  • Reply 71 of 105
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Is it also gonna be 6-bit?
  • Reply 72 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

This will fail if you can't "cut the cord" to the cable and satellite providers for TV programming. It's what Steve DIDN'T want. He always said that unless you reinvented the entire chain and get rid of the extra boxes and remotes that it would not succeed and I agree 100%.

Of course the cable monopolies will just up their charges for broadband internet...

Bill

Assume a TV built to Apple's proven style, quality, UX, etc. including Siri.

Add to this access to content.

Add this delivery capability to the living room and mobile

Add to this an attractive price

A possible alternative (or leveler of the playing field) to the cablecos/telcos is the broadcast spectrums that are going to be auctioned in the near future.

The content owners/providers/aggregators are open to deals to anyone who wants to pay.

The secret to all this, though, IMO, is packaging, bundling and pricing.

What if the package included the TV hardware (including the set), the content, the delivery -- on a 2-year contract that is less than your current cable and/or Internet bill... say $100 per month for the package.

You choose the main TV set kinda' like you chose an iPhone -- with a different (amortized) one-time price for the set based on size/cost.

The package also allows simultaneous concurrent delivery of content to multiple personal TVs within the home or mobile (these look suspiciously like iPads). The "Personal TVs" can be purchased separately or included in the package.

Oh, BTW, the leveled content delivery bandwidth can be used as an alternative to expensive cell data plans.

Look around Big Joe -- and see if I missed anybody!

Edit: BTW, when's the next Olympics? World Cup? NBA Season?
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Is it also gonna be 6-bit?

I thought 24 bit was what people demand?

Or is that audio?

Don't people want 4:4:4 video, whatever that is?
  • Reply 74 of 105
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

If you have to accept the Apple ecosystem and buy content from them, this will be a non-starter. We are not veals in cages.

Have to laugh at people who think that having control of what you're offered is 'closed' and being force-fed garbage via the cable systems is 'freedom'.

Kinda like 'open' Google, huh?

The biggest difficulty with the supposed Apple approach will be that people actually will have to start thinking about what they consume. That is what could be its downfall.

People aren't 'veals' (whatever that is), but 90% are sheep.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I guess you missed the analysts' ravings over Apple's most recent results. After all, they only beat their own guidance by 50% on profits - so the analysts and media were quick to call them a failure.

This has been happening over and over lately. Someone comes up with some absurd number that they claim is Apple's target and when Apple fails to meet their instant figure, the "apple is failing" stuff starts all over.

Jesus. You really do believe that don't you?

Here's a clue - go read the coverage following the earnings announcement. There was ZERO negative reaction. I can't believe how much you've fooled yourself.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Jesus. You really do believe that don't you?

Here's a clue - go read the coverage following the earnings announcement. There was ZERO negative reaction. I can't believe how much you've fooled yourself.

Well, the fact is that AAPL did drop, what, $25/share?

And ALL of the coverage led with "Apple misses projections".
  • Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Well, the fact is that AAPL did drop, what, $25/share?

And ALL of the coverage led with "Apple misses projections".

Screw "projections". When have analysts EVER BEEN RIGHT?!

Apple exceeded guidance. That's all that matters.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    ARM Cortex A-15 announced by ARM Holdings and TSMC to stamp out at 20nm.

http://www.arm.com/about/newsroom/ar...-processor.php

Quote:

ARM and TSMC Tape Out First 20nm ARM Cortex-A15 Multicore Processor

18 October 2011

Hsinchu, Taiwan and Cambridge, UK ? (OCTOBER 18, 2011) ? ARM and TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today announced that they have taped out the first 20nm ARM® Cortex?-A15 MPCore? processor. The two companies completed the implementation from RTL to tape out in six months using TSMC?s Open Innovation Platform® (OIP) 20nm design ecosystem.

Building on this tape out, ARM will optimize its physical IP technology to specific TSMC 20nm process technologies for Power, Performance and Area (PPA), driving the specification of the Cortex-A15 Processor Optimization Pack (POP). TSMC?s 20nm process provides more than a 2X performance increase over preceding generations.

?This first 20nm ARM Cortex-A15 tape out paves the way for the next generation of SoC integration and performance,? said Mike Inglis, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Processor Division, ARM. ?We value the work carried out between ARM, TSMC and its design ecosystem partners to achieve this milestone. It is a strong testimonial of our mutual commitment to provide industry leading technology for advanced node designs. The combination of TSMC technology, the latest ARM Cortex-A15 processor and Artisan physical IP will help meet the increasing demand for high performance, energy-efficient consumer devices.?

?Our ongoing collaboration with ARM has resulted in this early 20nm achievement,? said Dr. Cliff Hou, TSMC Vice President, Design and Technology Platform. ?Our customers can successfully engage in fast-growth markets with optimized physical IP, Cortex-A15 processors and TSMC?s advanced technology.?

The Cortex-A15 processor?s low-power, high-performance and advanced feature set is perfectly suited to 20nm process implementations. Resulting SoCs will be ideal for a wide variety of markets, including smartphone, tablet, mobile computing, high-end digital home, servers, and wireless infrastructure.

This announcement highlights the continued and increased collaboration between ARM and TSMC. The test chip was implemented using a commercially available 20nm tool chain and design services provided by the OIP ecosystem and ARM Connected Community partners. This successful collaborative milestone is confirmation of TSMC?s Open Innovation Platform (OIP) that promotes innovation for the semiconductor design community.

The ARM Connected Community ecosystem is one of the largest in the industry, comprising over 900 companies. The community provides solutions integrating, using or supporting the ARM architecture, and includes industry leaders from every aspect of the design cycle. The ARM Connected Community ensures the broadest level of support and supply chain for ARM technology-based SoCs.

About ARM

ARM designs the technology that lies at the heart of advanced digital products, from wireless, networking and consumer entertainment solutions to imaging, automotive, security and storage devices. ARM?s comprehensive product offering includes 32-bit RISC microprocessors, graphics processors, video engines, enabling software, cell libraries, embedded memories, high-speed connectivity products, peripherals and development tools. Combined with comprehensive design services, training, support and maintenance, and the company?s broad Partner community, they provide a total system solution that offers a fast, reliable path to market for leading electronics companies. Find out more about ARM by following these links: About TSMC

TSMC is the world?s largest dedicated semiconductor foundry, providing the industry?s leading process technology and the foundry?s largest portfolio of process-proven libraries, IPs, design tools and reference flows. The Company?s managed capacity in 2010 totaled 11.33 million (8-inch equivalent) wafers, including capacity from two advanced 12-inch GIGAFAB? facilities, four eight-inch fabs, one six-inch fab, as well as TSMC?s wholly owned subsidiaries, WaferTech and TSMC China, and its joint venture fab, SSMC. TSMC?s corporate headquarters are in Hsinchu, Taiwan. For more information about TSMC please visit http://www.tsmc.com.

Press Contacts

ARM Contacts:

Senior Manger, Press & Analyst Relations

Andy Phillips

+44 1223 400930

[email protected]

Erik Ploof

Director, Corporate Marketing

+1 425-880-6033

Email: [email protected]

TSMC Acting Spokesperson

Elizabeth Sun

Director, Corporate Communication Division

Tel: 886-3-5682085

Email: [email protected]

• Reply 79 of 105
    Some body trying jack up Apple's stock with this absurd assumption. 100 billion! STFU!
  • Reply 80 of 105
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He sees Apple's so-called "smart TV" carrying a price as high as two to three times greater than competing LCD TVs. But he thinks Apple will be able to justify that price, and find success with consumers, with the company's brand, its "unmatched aesthetics, expansive digital ecosystem and overall quality."

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it. 95%+ of TV usage is sitting there watching the show, not interating with the TV. Yes, that other less than 5% of usage which is more interactive (scrolling through the guide, scheduling recordings, etc) could use a facelift and a touch of Apple's UI slickness. But would that really be worth a 2-3x premium over a regular TV price? Especitally considering that while the regular TVs UI might be ugly, it will likely get you access to a far greater choice of online content than Apple would allow on it's TV.

Not to mention that any TV from Apple would also have to work with set-top boxes from the cable and satellite companies, which is still the major source of content for most people. So you'll still be stuck with the ugliness of your provider's box's UI.

I think most folks would choose to add a $99 AppleTV box to their non-Apple HDTV vs paying a hefty premium for a TV wtih an Apple logo on it. Unless Apple has some revolutionary new content delivery up their sleeve, this would seem to be either a very niche product, or Apple would have to accept much, much slimmer margins than they are used to.