• Reply 41 of 47
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 42 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

And then it's on to Latin America....

And then to Africa.That is actually a good thing since as the western economy exploits successive regions for its manufacturing needs it may eventually bring each country into parity with the rest of the developed world.

One only has to look to Japan to see the preferred outcome. They were once the go to off shore manufacturer to save money, but now they are on par with the US in terms of standard of living and human rights.

It will be good to see the same thing happen with China, then Brazil and Africa. It may take some time but it will be worth it when the entire world is enjoying the benefits of education, health and prosperity without disparity. Then we will have a level playing field for manufacturing competitiveness.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple does more to improve working conditions and the environment than almost any other company in their markets. But, LEGALLY, they are only required to comply with the laws that affect them. They are not liable for what their suppliers do.

I do not dispute the fact that Apple does more than most companies for their employees. I agree with you that Apple does more than most companies to improve working conditions. I agree with you on those points. I was just disputing your logic that if it is legal in those countries then it was ok for US companies to do things in another country that was illegal (or against regulations) here in the US. So by your logic...it is ok to have 12 year old kids working 12 hours a day (for about 5 dollars a day) to build Apple products in those countries as long as it is LEGAL in that country?
  • Reply 44 of 47
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Ok so would you like to pay 20 dollars more per device. I am saying 20 dollars more to get the newest iPhone? Or maybe 50 dollars more. My point... What if we made the damn things in this country!?!? Is that such a crime? Dammit. We are hard workers too. We need the Jobs HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foxconn is reportedly adding 1 million robots over the next 3 years to replace/supplement Chinese workers who are making less than $300 per month. Kinda hard to compete with that.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I do not dispute the fact that Apple does more than most companies for their employees. I agree with you that Apple does more than most companies to improve working conditions. I agree with you on those points. I was just disputing your logic that if it is legal in those countries then it was ok for US companies to do things in another country that was illegal (or against regulations) here in the US. So by your logic...it is ok to have 12 year old kids working 12 hours a day (for about 5 dollars a day) to build Apple products in those countries as long as it is LEGAL in that country?

Apple doesn't have any 12 year old kids working 12 hours a day for $5 a day in ANY country. In fact, I don't believe Apple has a single production employee anywhere in the world.

For their other positions, Apple is required to follow local law and practice. If the work week in Germany is 32 hours, then Apple is required to follow their work week. They can not insist on 40 hours because that's standard here.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Foxconn is reportedly adding 1 million robots over the next 3 years to replace/supplement Chinese workers who are making less than $300 per month. Kinda hard to compete with that.

When this came out, I pointed out how unlikely that claim was. The entire world uses something like 1-2 M industrial robots today (number from memory - go back and search the previous thread for the actual information and links). Do you really believe that one company is going to add 50-100% to the entire world supply of industrial robots in just a couple of years? Even if they were able to do so, I doubt if industrial robot manufacturers would be able to scale up that quickly.

I'm guessing that they're talking about automated assembly devices which are something entirely different.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When this came out, I pointed out how unlikely that claim was. <...>

The quote was from Foxconn's chairman, and the latest reports this weekend indicate that Hon Hai intends to spend $6.7b to mass-produce the industrial robots themselves to perform simple work and replace a half million employees.