2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    They can call it Lion Service Pack 1
  • Reply 22 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

I'm sure Apple is already working on the successor to 10.9 (10.10? 11.0? Who knows?) and the successor to that.

If they're not, you shouldn't buy Apple stock.

they're not.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

They can call it Lion Service Pack 1

Not sure if you're joking or just being a terrible troll.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Lion has been mighty good, I can't wait to see what's new in 10.8. Putting all this aside, what are they gonna call it?

Ocelot would be an awesome name.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Pumapard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapard

Now we're talking hybrid OS
  • Reply 26 of 37
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    10.8? No doubt 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wished, but?

In the meantime, how 'bout a 10.7.3 that, unlike 10.7.2, might actually fix some of the myriad Finder bugs introduced by Lion? Or have silly little things like reliably remembering window views and positions been discarded because the iPhone doesn't need them?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    It's too early for the next OS rumour mill. Seriously! \
  • Reply 28 of 37
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

10.8? No doubt 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wished, but?

In the meantime, how 'bout a 10.7.3 that, unlike 10.7.2, might actually fix some of the myriad Finder bugs introduced by Lion? Or have silly little things like reliably remembering window views and positions been discarded because the iPhone doesn't need them?

Please, a 10.7.3 release with user-configurable autosave/versions on all Apple apps.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Please, a 10.7.3 release with user-configurable autosave/versions on all Apple apps.

Or at least the return of the user-configurable "where we want our applications to open".

For heaven's sake, Apple. Why would you take that away?!
  • Reply 30 of 37
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

10.7.2 is alright in my books.

Anyway, where were we. Oh, yes. 10.8. Here is how it works.

1) 10.7 is released.

2) The next non forked build is 10.8(A1) and could be released in the same week as 10.7 GM's. It's probably just the same as the 10.7 release.

3) There is a fork for 10.7( BNN), and later 10.72 ( C74 was the release).

They tend to build every non-weekend day.

The graph shows it drops off to zero at weekends. Tsk.

If you have inside info do you happen to know what is happening on the file system front.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

If you have inside info do you happen to know what is happening on the file system front.

He has no inside information. Why would you think that?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He has no inside information. Why would you think that?

Do you have inside information that he has no inside information?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Do you have inside information that he has no inside information?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

?could be? ?probably? ?tend to?

Yep. Ish.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I miss SL Expose's "all windows".
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Deleted- Not helpful at all

Not helpful? Are you unaware of 10.6.8 HDMI audio issues that Apple has been ignoring for six months?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Ish.

The only coulds, and probablys in my answer were in regards to when exactly the new version ( OS 8) is released internally. But I claim no insider knowledge - although I have been there as an external once, or twice when I worked in Silicon Valley - except this is the way to continue the build of an OS. The letters and numbers are simple.

Starts with NAY for the first internal build of the main OS. Where N is the number of builds since some pre-release builds of the very first OS X. ( I think 10.0 was 3Axxx). Y is the daily build number, and A is the first letter of the alphabet.

Each internal build adds to Y incrementally. Looking at the numbers there has to be a build every weekday at least. Lion ( 10.7) was 11A511. So there were 511 internal builds. They do work some weekends, and that seems about right for 18 months - 2 years.

When moving from Lion 11A511, to the next major OS ( internal build 12A1) they probably tag 11A511 in their SCM, rebuild the OS as 12A1 and continue working the same code base for the next release. Meanwhile a copy of the same code base is now forked and is 11B1. I won't explain forking, but most of the team will not be working on the updates ( 10.7.1) and so the main code base is now the post Lion OS, not the updates to Lion. The most recent non dev release follows this formula. It is 11C74. The 74th build of the second revision ( C) to Lion ( 11).

One probably there, but it is a strongly educated guess. If you have better ideas, and you rarely do, shoot.

so the fact that 10.8 is being tested is not really telling much. It probably looks very like 10.7.x.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Not helpful? Are you unaware of 10.6.8 HDMI audio issues that Apple has been ignoring for six months?

Do those issues still exist in 10.7? If not, then Apple fixed them. If you're on an older system that can't upgrade to 10.7, that sucks. Of course, you have to be rocking a PPC or Core Duo to not be eligible. Core 2 onward and you're fine. When was the last Core Dup system sold at Apple? The Mini upgraded to the Core 2 in August 2007.