Hidden "Drop Box" feature in Mac OS X Lion lets you sync files across Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Interesting. Nice little tidbit. Although I don't have iWork I will get it and then try this. I didn't see the Mobile Documents in my ~library folder but I am assuming the? when I install iWork and then save a document I will then have that folder there. We will see.

Do you have iCloud setup on my Mac?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Frankly, Apple obviously did not offer enough for Dropbox.

And Apple pays its iCloud people obviously too much. (They're about as impressive as the guys who did Apple's biggest embarrassment, MobileMe.)

This type of having to jump through hoops to do basic stuff is stupid, unnecessary, and un-Apple-like.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    timktimk Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Interesting. Nice little tidbit. Although I don't have iWork I will get it and then try this. I didn't see the Mobile Documents in my ~library folder but I am assuming the? when I install iWork and then save a document I will then have that folder there. We will see.

I don't think it makes any difference whether you have iWork installed or not. I don't have iWork on my Macbook, but the Mobile Documents Folder is there in the Library.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    I can't find this folder. Running 10.7.2, iCloud is on, Documents & Data is on in the iCloud control panel, via a Terminal command my ~/Library folder is visible, but the Mobile Documents folder is nowhere to be found (it's not in the /Library folder either).

I show a MobileDevice folder (Money and Mirrors are the other adjacent ones), but no Mobile Documents.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 25 of 52
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Frankly, Apple obviously did not offer enough for Dropbox.

And Apple pays its iCloud people obviously too much. (They're about as impressive as the guys who did Apple's biggest embarrassment, MobileMe.)

This type of having to jump through hoops to do basic stuff is stupid, unnecessary, and un-Apple-like.

This isn't even a proper feature. It is there (probably) for Apple's testing purposes which somehow ended up in a final release.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Hi Neil, good to have you onboard!

A symbolic hard link is a "shortcut" to a folder or file like you would know from windows and macs.

But the big difference with a normal shortcut is that the operating system doesn't check where it redirects to. so you can "fool" the system by thinking its communicating with the Mobile Documents folder, but instead its the "Document" folder in the user directory.

Unfortunately, i haven't got it working 100% yet.

In the beginning I did with a normal directory in stead of using a system directory such as "Documents".

So it needs tuning, let's hope someone knows the answer!

Regards,

Rick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neildradford View Post

I'm not all that good with Macs, but this sounds interesting, can you explain what that means?

Also, related to this article, I use Goodreader, It shows up in this folder, I found I can now use this like iDIsk, all my documents are in this folder, if i add to it, or delete etc it shows up right on my iPad and iPhone, working a bit like dropbox does. I also added the folder for goodreader to my dock, so I'm now going to treat this as my main documents folder.

Are there any issues with doing this?

Neil.

P.S First post here, so hi everyone.

• Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I can't find this folder. Running 10.7.2, iCloud is on, Documents & Data is on in the iCloud control panel, via a Terminal command my ~/Library folder is visible, but the Mobile Documents folder is nowhere to be found (it's not in the /Library folder either).

I show a MobileDevice folder (Money and Mirrors are the other adjacent ones), but no Mobile Documents.

Any ideas?

What computer is it? My guess is that the Mobile Documents folder only turns up on new computers (ones that support Airdrop)
  • Reply 28 of 52
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you have iCloud setup on my Mac?

I have iCloud and 10.7.2. Still no folder there. I have the Golden master OS 10.7 but was able to update to 10.7.2 with iCloud Dev pre. Still ran Software Update and no 10.7.2 needed. I figure that I have everything needed. Oh well. When I install iWork the folder may appear then.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timk View Post

I don't think it makes any difference whether you have iWork installed or not. I don't have iWork on my Macbook, but the Mobile Documents Folder is there in the Library.

Maybe it has to do with a Mobile device only. My Mac Pro doesn't have it.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

How old is your Mac Pro? My guess is that the Mobile document folder will only turn up on computers that support airdrop.

AirDrop supports the following Mac models, which have the right airport card:

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)

iMac (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see iDisk coming back? and there is no need for it. With iCloud's APIs you can use a 3rd-party solution.

Maybe YOU don't have a need for iDisk, but for those of us who used it regularly to access our documents from all of our devices with ease, Documents in the Cloud is a loss of basic functionality. I don't want a 3rd-party solution for something I already had with Apple. Has Apple provided (or is there to be found anywhere) an explanation as to why Documents in the Cloud can't offer an exact duplicate of iDisk functionality?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    A symbolic link and hard link are two different things. Hard links are indistinguishable from the original file. A symbolic link is more analogous to a shortcut or alias - basically just a pointer. The -s option on ln creates a symbolic link, not a hard link.

Hard links aren't used often since delete operations could be really destructive. However, Apple has used hard links really cleverly in Time Machine - which is how it presents the same file over and over again through backups without being overly redundant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

Hi Neil, good to have you onboard!

A symbolic hard link is a "shortcut" to a folder or file like you would know from windows and macs.

But the big difference with a normal shortcut is that the operating system doesn't check where it redirects to. so you can "fool" the system by thinking its communicating with the Mobile Documents folder, but instead its the "Document" folder in the user directory.

Unfortunately, i haven't got it working 100% yet.

In the beginning I did with a normal directory in stead of using a system directory such as "Documents".

So it needs tuning, let's hope someone knows the answer!

Regards,

Rick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

I had some luck, but the sync stopped..

On my new imac I pointed the Mobile Documents folder to my Documents (ln -s )

and later on my old macbook with all the documents...

Only 1 folder syncde :-(

with another test - with a normal directory - multiple files almost instantly synced...strange

• Reply 33 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Maybe YOU don't have a need for iDisk, but for those of us who used it regularly to access our documents from all of our devices with ease

I don't get why people are so adament about it having to be iDisk and not any other service that does the exact same thing except better.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    The article describes a method for navigating to your ~/Library folder in the Finder. There is actually a much easier way:

Hold down the Option key and select the Go menu in the Finder. The Library folder will be listed in the menu.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

unfortunately....

Some of you guys worry way too much. I can't see why Apple would disable this. It's much more likely that within the next couple of updates it'll be a support option for any developer to use. This is nothing like Apple shutting off ways for third party developers to hack into the iTunes database or preventing jail breaking.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playdrums View Post

A symbolic link and hard link are two different things. Hard links are indistinguishable from the original file. A symbolic link is more analogous to a shortcut or alias - basically just a pointer. The -s option on ln creates a symbolic link, not a hard link.

Hard links aren't used often since delete operations could be really destructive. However, Apple has used hard links really cleverly in Time Machine - which is how it presents the same file over and over again through backups without being overly redundant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

Many thanks to you both for the thorough explanation and the link.

Neil.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

I think so... I don't have the folder, and when I log into iCloud and choose "iWork", it informs me that to use it I need to have iWork on a mobile device. I have multiple macs, and having iWork documents synced between them would be fantastic. But I don't need those apps on my iPod Touch.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

I think so... I don't have the folder, and when I log into iCloud and choose "iWork", it informs me that to use it I need to have iWork on a mobile device. I have multiple macs, and having iWork documents synced between them would be fantastic. But I don't need those apps on my iPod Touch.

Nope, mine does.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    This can be nothing like iDisk until there's an HTML accessible public folder with a simple URL. Which will never happen.

With iDisk, I can post a picture on these forums, host a web site, share any file type with password protection, and no way for someone to get a directory listing. Can't do that with Dropbox. Can't do that with iCloud. I'll have to subscribe to a third party server service next year. I will miss iDisk.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Um, yeah... I'd rather use Dropbox than risk all of my data with some undocumented & unsupported solution by Apple. Apple has never gotten the cloud right even when they try... why would I try something that they aren't even standing behind?