Apple confirms iOS 5 update to address battery life bugs affecting iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

Is it too much to ask one of the Apple developers to slip that IPhone clock app onto the iPad?!?!

iPad doesn't have the clock/timer/stopwatch/alarm?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

Is it too much to ask one of the Apple developers to slip that IPhone clock app onto the iPad?!?!

Why would you want it?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

That and this is a big update, even among iOS updates. The beta cycle for iOS 5 was long. Introducing the cloud features and tying those in with both Mac OS X and Windows isn't an easy feat. Also keep in mind that any time Apple introduces a new version (not a point release), the updates tend to flow fairly quickly for the first few and then level out to a more standard schedule.

Interesting.

Do you think that Apple releases more frequent updates to iOS, or Google to Android? It seems like both release frequently.

Do updates flow quickly after a point release simply because there is so much new in the release that there are bound to be a lot of bug fixes, or is it because there exist a lot of little bits and pieces that missed the cutoff for the release?

I saw some kind of a language pack listed in the updates in the original article. That's what got me thinking about this topic in the first place. In the old days, if that language pack had not made it into the release, it likely would have stayed in a black hole for a long, long time. Now it just gets folded in a few weeks after the OS is released, without any major hassles.

Or am I misremebering how things were back in the bad old days?
  • Reply 24 of 57
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Best make this a red article!!
  • Reply 25 of 57
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Interesting.

Do you think that Apple releases more frequent updates to iOS, or Google to Android? It seems like both release frequently.

Do updates flow quickly after a point release simply because there is so much new in the release that there are bound to be a lot of bug fixes, or is it because there exist a lot of little bits and pieces that missed the cutoff for the release?

I saw some kind of a language pack listed in the updates in the original article. That's what got me thinking about this topic in the first place. In the old days, if that language pack had not made it into the release, it likely would have stayed in a black hole for a long, long time. Now it just gets folded in a few weeks after the OS is released, without any major hassles.

No idea on the Android topic. From what I understand, most android phones never see an update unless they are those lucky few that get them from the handset vendors or they are using a Google branded phone.

I do think the updates after a version release are rapid due to the number of changes (complexity) as opposed to simple point release updates which are often incremental without the big changes you see with a new full version.

If Apple follows the typical developer flow (Dev, Model Office, Production), then it just depends on when a bug is reported as to when it is addressed. Updates in our corporate environment are pushed out in waves only on specific dates (target dates for versions), and if something doesn't make it into the update list within a necessary lead time, it is pushed off until the next update.

Probably a common practice among corporate IT shops.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

<blush>

Yeah. I wondered about that too.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

made my day )))))

(((((()))))) (((()))) {{{{}}}}
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Apple needs to add the option for 3G, WiFI, Bluetooth, and Air Plane Mode toggles to the notification center.

Although I agree, I would much prefer that Apple offer the following two options:

1. Activation of services via location profiles (Wi-Fi on at "Home" and 3G off; 3G on when I leave "Home" and Wi-Fi off).

2. Allow Siri to activate and de-activate 3G, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Please, everyone click the link below and make an enhancement request.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 29 of 57
    There's an error in the table.

3G runs iOS 4.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

If only AI could make it green slowly fading to red, right to left .
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If only AI could make it green slowly fading to red, right to left .

Don't ask me to do it by letter.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Har!
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Don't forget brightness, though I would love to be able to speak these commands to Siri, too.

2) The Verizon iPhone 4 didn't have the option to turn off '3G' either. Even though that's not a real issue for a CDMA network I have to wonder if the reason for the exclusion is a limitation of the MDM66x0 chip. I say this because that's when this feature went away, not when Apple introduces to LTE to have an "Enable 4G" toggle switch.

That might make since because my 4 running the new software still has the enable 3G switch
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

Why would you want it?

It'd be nice to have some for of clock app to come with it if just for the alarms but there's 3rd party options so it's not a particularly big deal
  • Reply 35 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

iPad doesn't have the clock/timer/stopwatch/alarm?

Just get Clock Pro HD for iPad. All you'll ever need.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Bravissimo!
  • Reply 37 of 57
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,132member
    My mail app on my new 4S crashes constantly--many times a day. I pray that a fix for this is included in the update. It's making me crazy, and I've tried everything, including replacing the handset and three trips to the Genius Bar, but nothing has helped.

Now that Steve is in the iCloud, does that mean he's omniscient and I can ask him directly?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

I want it by letter. Stat!

I also want it green fading to red, not the other way around!! Sheesh!
  • Reply 39 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I want it by letter. Stat!

I also want it green fading to red, not the other way around!! Sheesh!

I want it repeated until HTMLI colours, 000000 through FFFFFFF, are shown.

Hmm. That shouldn't be that hard of a C program to write.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    On my iPhone 4 there have been no battery issues with iOS 5, but tons of others:

Calendar app freezes & crashes first time it is launched, every time

Music app freezes every third tap of the menu or so

There is a 2-3 second delay after shaking to shuffle

Maps is so slow to load on the go it is all but unusuable

Messages freezes when first using it

Basically, just like when iOS 4 came out and I installed it on my iPhone 3G, it became useless. The issues with my iPhone 4 and iOS 5 are not quite as bad, but enough that the phone is no longer something I want to use.

Oh, and half of YouTube videos have never worked on any iPhone I've ever used, and basically in Safari on my MacBook Pro either...by not working I consider if the video takes longer to load then its actual run time, that's a fail.