Hidden "Drop Box" feature in Mac OS X Lion lets you sync files across Macs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    This could become a new issue in relationships - when do you stop syncing with your spouse's Mac? The first one to do it could incur the other's ire, not to mention suspicions.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    FWIW, there's a much easier way to get to the Library folder. Just hold down the option key and it'll show up in the Go menu.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    This would be fantastic for my wife and I with our budget file. My early 2008 iMac has the Mobile Docs folder, but her mid 2009 Macbook does not. iCloud is set up correctly on both and signed in under the same name.

I don't quite get this one. Any ideas?
  • Reply 44 of 52
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thejd View Post

This would be fantastic for my wife and I with our budget file. My early 2008 iMac has the Mobile Docs folder, but her mid 2009 Macbook does not. iCloud is set up correctly on both and signed in under the same name.

I don't quite get this one. Any ideas?

***edit***

Looks like it just took a few minutes to show up. Sorry everyone.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Hold down option when you click on "Go" from Finder's menu bar.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't get why people are so adament about it having to be iDisk and not any other service that does the exact same thing except better.

I'm not so much adamant that it must be iDisk as I am irritated with the pending loss of built-in functionality. I find the Documents in the Cloud feature to be analogous to the first implementation of Stacks in the Mac OS Leopard Dock: an over-simplified way of navigating files that failed to accommodate existing organization systems. It took two .x updates to make the Dock truly usable again. I hope Apple does something similar with DitC (only faster) because it seems ridiculous that they would push loyal users away from a useful service that is far from being a dud.

I've never used Dropbox or Google Docs (so I'm not arguing their merits against iDisk), but I'd rather not extend my digital footprint any farther than I have to. It'd be bad enough having to set up a new account with a 3rd party just to take full advantage of Apple's ecosystem of products as advertised, but to have to put my data out there too is more than I'm currently willing to do. And I shouldn't have to.

iDisk may not be as feature rich as some of the alternatives out there, but it serves my needs well, is built in, and my data is already there organized the way I want it, as it has been for years. As yet, I still haven't heard a clear explanation why Apple didn't simply replicate iDisk functionality with their new Documents in the Cloud feature.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This can be nothing like iDisk until there's an HTML accessible public folder with a simple URL. Which will never happen.

With iDisk, I can post a picture on these forums, host a web site, share any file type with password protection, and no way for someone to get a directory listing. Can't do that with Dropbox. Can't do that with iCloud. I'll have to subscribe to a third party server service next year. I will miss iDisk.

I totally agree. iDisk is the only decent mobile service Apple's ever made. It's simple, easy to access anywhere, and it just works. Having an actual "location" that your files are stored on is way better than this automatic syncing crap they are trying to do now. I love that it's built-in to the OS. I love that I can password protect a guest folder.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This can be nothing like iDisk until there's an HTML accessible public folder with a simple URL. Which will never happen.

With iDisk, I can post a picture on these forums, host a web site, share any file type with password protection, and no way for someone to get a directory listing. Can't do that with Dropbox. Can't do that with iCloud. I'll have to subscribe to a third party server service next year. I will miss iDisk.

I can't believe Apple isn't keeping iDisk around in iCloud. It's worked great for me for years now, syncing a large folder between all my devices and letting me easily share individual files (with password and expiration date, if desired). In seconds I can share a document from iDisk on my phone with anyone. I have a DropBox account, but rarely use it since iDisk works so well.

Apple, please listen! Documents in the Cloud is a hobbled solution in that it can only be (officially) used by apps that support it. I need something to replicate ALL my documents.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

iDisk may not be as feature rich as some of the alternatives out there, but it serves my needs well, is built in, and my data is already there organized the way I want it, as it has been for years. As yet, I still haven't heard a clear explanation why Apple didn't simply replicate iDisk functionality with their new Documents in the Cloud feature.

My problems with iDisk are?
    1. Slow (I had even moved from Finder WebDAV to Transmit FTP for iDisk to make it sliightly faster even though less convenient)

2. No modern failsafe measures (if you were uploading a 1GB file and you failed to get the entire uploaded before it drapped out ? not uncommon when using iDisk in Finder ? you'd have to start all over; with Dropbox it's seamlessly and invisibily brokwn up into RAR sized segments that will sync to their server and other devices in a way that let's you start and stop the transfer as needed).

3. No localized intelligence of your files (Let's say you have a 1GB home movie you are uploading to two people using two seperate private folders, with iDisk you have to upload them seperately, with Dropbox it'll upload the first and the next will be instantly avaialble because it already knows that file is on their server).

What we should be asking for is iDisk being updated to work like a modern file syncing app, not simply maintained in its archaic and poor form. If Apple can't figure it out (even though they use much Dropbox's techniques in iCloud and have used their storage model in Time Machine for years) then I say just let it die.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I can't believe Apple isn't keeping iDisk around in iCloud. It's worked great for me for years now, syncing a large folder between all my devices and letting me easily share individual files (with password and expiration date, if desired). In seconds I can share a document from iDisk on my phone with anyone. I have a DropBox account, but rarely use it since iDisk works so well.

Apple, please listen! Documents in the Cloud is a hobbled solution in that it can only be (officially) used by apps that support it. I need something to replicate ALL my documents.

I' not sure how iCloud Storage APIs are a hobbled solution. It's a new solution that has resulted in any good solutions from your Mac and iOS App Stores, but these APIs allow for a much better and more modern solution than iDisk ever offered.
    PS: I really dislike iDisk for the all the grief its caused me. I'd like to take reenact the scene from Office Space where they took care of that fax machine.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I' not sure how iCloud Storage APIs are a hobbled solution. It's a new solution that has resulted in any good solutions from your Mac and iOS App Stores, but these APIs allow for a much better and more modern solution than iDisk ever offered.

Maybe I'm just missing something about how iCloud works then.

How do I use iCloud to send files that do not open in any iOS or Apple branded applications to another user that is not registered with iCloud? I do that all the time with iDisk, and it's what I need iCloud to do. Without it, iCloud is most definitely hobbled. This wireless syncing of iOS stuff is not something I'm even remotely interested in.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    This business of going to icloud.com/iwork and signing in and dragging a file over to the cloud window is...er...unsightly. (Maybe it's okay for the security-privacy minded.) What we had in mind was, automated syncing of our documents between our laptops and our iPads, in the same automated mindless lazy way as it is for multiple iOS gadgets. But no-O-o.

I'm glad somebody at least mentioned the carefully hidden ~/Library folder. Now we'll link it as a shortcut in the Finder sidebar...if that works. (Thank goodness for Tinkertool letting us find hidden files: I didn't know how else to do it.)

Now, I suppose, it would be nice to persuade Pages to save to that folder by default. So's we can be the true mindless couch potato document creators that computer device automation intended us to be.