Apple unveils redesigned, simpler Fifth Ave glass cube

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I think the story is that the Board refused to approve the $ millions necessary to build the original cube, so Steve decided to spend the money himself because he felt so strongly about it.

On one hand, I sort of agree with the Board (assuming the story is accurate) that it was excessive.

It seems unlikely that Steve couldn't convince the board to spend the money considering this is perhaps the premier location and that it has no curb appeal whatsoever (does it technically have a curb at all?). The proposal was ambitious and would clearly make a huge statement. I imagine this would have been an easy sell for Steve. Specially to the board. Maybe they balked at the cost and he told them he was prepared to pay it himself. I can believe he said that as part of his pitch, but that they refused to pay?
  • Reply 62 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Very impressive. Once they get it down to just the five panes their work will be done. Presumably things are different in the US, but if someone erected such a structure in the UK the 'health and safety' fascists would be down in an instant demanding it be covered in stickers with the legend: "Warning! Glass!"

Five bucks to first person that puts an easily visible "Intel inside" sticker on it.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    This should be Steve's Tomb in NYC and his embalmed body should stand at attention to greet visitors
  • Reply 64 of 79
    It's gonna take a while for this new design to catch on for me.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Dude, he was joking, alright? Geez... Get some help.

LOL at you and your inability to read and comprehend. I've not said anything mean or malicious, just busted the chops of prof peabody for not having a sense of humor.

And now you. You guys are so wound up to defend anything and everything Apple that you can't take a joke.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

LOL at you and your inability to read and comprehend. I've not said anything mean or malicious, just busted the chops of prof peabody for not having a sense of humor.

And now you. You guys are so wound up to defend anything and everything Apple that you can't take a joke.

Hey, nobody's upset around here except you. Everybody knows you were kidding, and we were kidding back. The prof didn't literally mean for you to go and seek help. But while we're at it... get some help, will ya? You sound all stressed.

(oh, c'mon, don't take it so personally)
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I found an islamic group online once who were saying this design was insult to mecca! And calling for steve jobs to be killed!

Too late.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I wonder if Steve made this cube (in an unconscious way) to make up for the failures of his previously failed cubes.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    They should get Jony Ive to design it. He'd start with one block of glass and ...
  • Reply 70 of 79
    kp*kp* Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It still looks like a cube. iCube 1S. In other words, to the uninitiated, it appears to be pretty much the same as the original cube before it, with very minor enhancements.

That's my first reaction, too, but I will withhold judgment until I see it in person. I also agree with what other posters have said that it might be a bit too seamless, and not have the same "sparkle" that the original cube had, and instead just look like nothing.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Very clean.

Beautiful, elegant, revolutionary. I like this better than the Shanghai cylinder. As remarkable as engineering big curved glass is, a simple cube glass structure is almost... timeless.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    I think that I.M. Pei might take exception to Steve Jobs being credited with the 'design'. The Pyramid at The Louvre in Paris is identical in concept, differing only in basic geometry. It even has a spiral staircase for visitors to descend through the structure into the subterranean hall. Seamless or not, the similarity is so close that if it were a piece of electronics, someone would have been sued by now.

http://touristicattractions.com/wp-c...re-Pyramid.jpg
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Who gives a crap whether he personally paid for it or the company paid for it? Maybe the shareholders didn't want to spend cash to upgrade and SJ wanted to.

And yeah Apple would make it 5 pieces of glass if they could. One day they will. Simmer down.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

From: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...lass_cube.html

Looks like there are still seams visible.

Everyone is a critic but not necessarily an intelligent critic. Duh, kind of hard not to have seams unless you have only one piece of glass instead of 15.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Everyone is a critic but not necessarily an intelligent critic. Duh, kind of hard not to have seams unless you have only one piece of glass instead of 15.

Actually, two pieces of glass or anything for that matter, that is simply butting against each other is not a seam.

However, if they were glued or framed together, as is not the case here, it would produce a seam.

As I said before, the glass panels around hockey rinks in most professional arenas, are seamless because they are individual panes of glass, some hanging from a top frame and others, slotted into the rail below. While some are a combination of both seamless and not seamless panes of glass.

Source
  • Reply 76 of 79
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Actually, two pieces of glass or anything for that matter, that is simply butting against each other is not a seam.

However, if they were glued or framed together, as is not the case here, it would produce a seam.

As I said before, the glass panels around hockey rinks in most professional arenas, are seamless because they are individual panes of glass, some hanging from a top frame and others, slotted into the rail below. While some are a combination of both seamless and not seamless panes of glass.

Source

OK since you must have it all figured out, how would you have built the Apple glass cube without ending up with seams? Keep in mind the glass cube must be structurally sound and fairly weatherproof.

PLEASE don't tell me the hockey rink image with glass that you posted is A) structurally sound B) weatherproof or C) more pleasing to the eye than Apple's glass cube.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

Very nice.

Speaking of Jobs owning the cube, any word on the Jobs estate?

Hope you aren't holding your breath for that to be made public.

I'm sure it will involve at least a finished minimalist yacht and a piece of land that once bore the weight of the house of a copper magnate.

Cube looks great. Wonder if any birds have a tendency to fly into it. Considering they manage to find a screen porch door to fly into, this would seem like a giant, see through bulls eye!
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Very impressive. Once they get it down to just the five panes their work will be done. Presumably things are different in the US, but if someone erected such a structure in the UK the 'health and safety' fascists would be down in an instant demanding it be covered in stickers with the legend: "Warning! Glass!"

Or those white dots you see on Super Market windows.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Steve and his cubes.....actually I love my cube.