Apple's Siri seen cutting Google out of valuable mobile ad views

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

If voice ads are more lucrative then they need to join the party.

Phones are becoming a mature product so with saturation getting close, voice ADS become a necessity.

"Hey, Dave, I wanted to talk to you about that last prototype package you sent me."

"Sure, you have some feedback?"

["ENLARGE YOUR PACKAGE TODAY!"]

"?"

"Sorry, that's my phone. I get free service, but I have ads."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

What have you built?

Of all the people on this forum you could have asked, you chose the wrong one, man.
  • Reply 82 of 90
    megamega Posts: 16member
    Google built the database by crawling the sites and using the interface it provides.

Apple has changed the interface and overtime will build a parallel database using the results of the search queries it gets & it can probably tune the searches that it posts to google in cases where it doesn't find them in it's own database. In which case it will potentially not go to google/yahoo/bing at all for searching the web also.

This is similar to Amazon Silk which will try to undermine google Ads with it's own, interestingly amazon is also the seller in most cases

I think Google has started getting some serious players into it's playground, and they can potentially cause the playground to change as each one of them brings something unique with them, unlike Windows.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of all the people on this forum you could have asked, you chose the wrong one, man.

Well, I can't judge for that, which is why it's phrased as a question, not as an affirmation like "you did not build anything"
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Did I understand you correctly - When you enter a query in the Safari web search box, you get no ads in the results? That's just not true in general. Only weird queries generate no ads.

Mobile Safari. I see no ads. If you do, where are they?
  • Reply 85 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Unless I am mistaken, companies pay Google for their position in search results -- through things like ad words.

So, even if you see no ads, you are seeing a list of results where the companies that pay the most are at the top of the list on the 1st page of results.

That's "Front Page, Above the Fold" in the Newspaper business, "Aisle End-Cap Displays" and "Eye-level Shelves" in the Supermarket business, "Outside Back Cover" then "Inside Front Cover" in the Magazine business, A "Window Display" in your favorite phone store ...

It's called Placement.

I still don't see what Siri has to do with this. If you ask Siri something and it doesn't understand (which is most of the time), it'll search the web for you. Which is your preferred search engine in Mobile Safari.

I'm sorry but I find this article contrived.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I still don't see what Siri has to do with this. If you ask Siri something and it doesn't understand (which is most of the time), it'll search the web for you. Which is your preferred search engine in Mobile Safari.

I'm sorry but I find this article contrived.

The story is about the potential of Siri.

Siri will learn and need to fail-through to generic web searches less and less over time.

When Google first appeared on the scene -- it wasn't as good as Yahoo and some others.

But, over time Google improved -- as will Siri!

• Reply 87 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Siri will learn and need to fail-through to generic web searches less and less over time.

When Google first appeared on the scene -- it wasn't as good as Yahoo and some others.

A little off topic here, don't know who else to mention it to, but does Siri do well with the new American standard female itty-bitty-girl accent with the flat "A" and the mincing other vowels? As in, "think yew" (mouth barely opening, lips pulled back to a smiling grimace) instead of thank you?

Do you have any such females around to test? My thought is that little girls could learn NOT to talk like that by using Siri. She actually talks like an adult.

As you may have guessed, I am annoyed by this accent. We're now getting NPR voices with this disability, which I think comes from watching cartoons and learning English from children's TV.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Mobile Safari. I see no ads. If you do, where are they?

They are at the top or at the bottom, looking quite similar to the actual search results except there is a faint yellow background with the label "Ads" in the top right corner. The ads do not show up for every search. Sometimes they show up only at the top, sometimes at the bottom, sometimes in both places. And yes, I'm talking about Mobile Safari.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

I surely hope it will improve, and not end up like Ping or FaceTime.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

So what happens when websites that rely on ad revenues start blocking Siri requests?

They'd start blocking a massive number of potential customers, which would be stupid.

Customers drive business, if you want to survive you must find a way to market yourself in the user index of choice. How much did the web kill ad sales for phone books? Look at newspapers, the web has wrecked havock on them.

Things change, if you don't like it then business really isn't for you. Google needs to stop whining & compete.