Game makers say Apple, Steve Jobs have most influence on industry

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Right, disconnect everything, take the Xbox to the bedroom, then take it back to the living room, repeat...

Purchase a second X-Box, they are very cheap now
  • Reply 82 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by insike View Post

Nope. Mobile games had existed for ages before the iPhone arrived. Look up sites like GetJar with their Java games for ancient phones.

I never said mobile games didn't exist. Apple changed they way business is done. $2.5 billion paid out to developers in approximately 4 years. What's the equivalent payout to Getjar publishers? They always had lots of free stuff, but developers weren't going there in droves to sell software as they have done for the AppStore.

Quote:

Aha? And how many of those are making good money?

More than was making good money before the AppStore! Again, $2.5 billion paid out from the AppStore alone. It's not all going to Electronic Arts.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But the competition on the iOS is so much greater, you're chances of having a hit game is better on a console than on iOS, did you know there's more games available for iOS than ALL console games combined, and by all I mean ALL, starting with the Atari

This is why Apple need proper "Game Center" control and an "Apple Game Studios".

"Apple Game Studios" should be a bunch of small game studios dedicated to making quality iOS games. Their budgets should be big and the idea shouldn't be to milk as much money out of the consumer as possible but to improve iOS as a gaming platform.

"Game Center" games could come from "Apple Game Studios", from 3rd parties published by Apple or from totally independent studios. The one key factor bringing them together should be that an Apple "Game Center" game is a quality title.

They should limit achievements to just "Game Center" titles and enforce trials of all "Game Center" games.

Essentially, they should rip off Xbox Live wholesale.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    insikeinsike Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by depannist View Post

I never said mobile games didn't exist. Apple changed they way business is done. $2.5 billion paid out to developers in approximately 4 years. What's the equivalent payout to Getjar publishers? They always had lots of free stuff, but developers weren't going there in droves to sell software as they have done for the AppStore.

Apple didn't change anything. People were paying for mobile content, including games, before the iPhone was launched.

Downloadable games still bring in pathetic amounts of revenue compared to boxed games for dedicated gaming consoles. One specific Nintendo DS game alone generated 1/5 of the revenue of the entire App Store (not just games) since the start of the App Store.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by insike View Post

Apple didn't change anything. People were paying for mobile content, including games, before the iPhone was launched.

Downloadable games still bring in pathetic amounts of revenue compared to boxed games for dedicated gaming consoles. One specific Nintendo DS game alone generated 1/5 of the revenue of the entire App Store (not just games) since the start of the App Store.

Okay, you win. Let's go with your version of reality. Nothing has changed for developers since the introduction of the AppStore. Those 1000 people working in the gaming industry were probably all lying anyway.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Think of it this way. Let say there are 50 million Xbox's out there and maybe 50% of those play Halo. Vs 100 million iOS devices and 50% of them play Angry birds.

Halo cost $59

AB cost $.99

Which cost more to develop?

Which cost more to support?

In the end game makers want to make money. Making money is sales - cost = profit

You know how retail & wholesale work, right? And that you can't treat retail price = profit?

If they sell a disc-based Halo at $59, MSFT/Bungie don't make 70% of that like they do on the App store. I know in the Toy & Game industries, the retailer generally takes 50% of total retail price. So your $60 goes to $30 immediately. You have manufacturing and shipping (from China and to store) costs that probably are anywhere from $2-5/unit. To play on a console, games have to pay licensing fees to offset the (commonly) loss-leader nature of console HW. Pay for marketing, advertising, and promotions to make your channel happy.

Now pay all of your lawyers, voice actors, 3D modelers, programmers, real estate, and other costs.

Also, you assume that every title they spend millions on is a hit like Halo. Most companies making AAA titles have to offset popular titles with ones that didn't do so well (Rockband 3/GH5, I'm looking at you).
  • Reply 87 of 91
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    why doesn't OP provide direct link(s) to it's source material? i ask because i'm curious in what contexts and what questions were asked to achieve the poll results. if we consider the computer game industry during the past four (4) decades, i find it very difficult to believe that more people consider Steve Jobs more influential than Shigeru Miyamoto.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by squishy View Post

If they sell a disc-based Halo at $59, MSFT/Bungie don't make 70% of that like they do on the App store. I know in the Toy & Game industries, the retailer generally takes 50% of total retail price. So your $60 goes to $30 immediately. You have manufacturing and shipping (from China and to store) costs that probably are anywhere from $2-5/unit. To play on a console, games have to pay licensing fees to offset the (commonly) loss-leader nature of console HW. Pay for marketing, advertising, and promotions to make your channel happy.

Video games are different to other toys/games, the store doesn't take 50% of the sale of video games. And everything you listed still has a cost with Apple, or an additional costs. Apple doesn't give you free TV or magazine advertising for your app, the AppStore developers still need to have promotions to push their product.

Quote:

Now pay all of your lawyers, voice actors, 3D modelers, programmers, real estate, and other costs.

So are all these costs free if you develop for iOS?

Quote:

Also, you assume that every title they spend millions on is a hit like Halo. Most companies making AAA titles have to offset popular titles with ones that didn't do so well (Rockband 3/GH5, I'm looking at you).

You do realise that the majority of the AppStore money is made by a small number of developers? So what is the difference?
  • Reply 89 of 91
    insikeinsike Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by depannist View Post

Okay, you win. Let's go with your version of reality. Nothing has changed for developers since the introduction of the AppStore. Those 1000 people working in the gaming industry were probably all lying anyway.

What 1000 people? You mean the iOS developers who voted for the guy heading the company that made iOS?
  • Reply 90 of 91
    I'm sorry, but it was Miyamoto that created Zelda, Mario, etc and helped thrive an industry that was failing. Something tells me this poll is biased. Apple has had very little influence until recently.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

No significant advantage? You mean the fact that you can pull it out of your backpack in an airplane to play a game at 30,000 feet isn't an advantage? Or the fact that the same device that does all of your remote computing allows you to play games without carrying an extra device isn't an advantage?

No one is suggesting that the iPhone will replace the xBox or PS3. It's simply an alternative. What part of that don't you understand?

Oh, and btw, you know you've lost the argument when you have to start making up stupid numbers to try to defend your choice. There isn't a single iPad model which costs $1,000. If you were only going to use your iPad for gaming, the least expensive $499 model is all you'd need. Games are small enough that the extra storage capacity isn't needed and there'd be no reason for 3G.

I think Nintendo already sees this with the Wii U and think it's failry concidental that the controller looks a bit like an iPad.

The fact is that the iPad won't be viable until a proper controller is in place. But then again, iPad doesn't have a disc medium and that could affect a lot (hdd space too small). Apple doesn't really have a lot of exclusives.