Apple's iCloud inaccessible for some users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    dropbox is a good iDisk replacement.

I think iCloud is the right idea. People shouldn't have to worry about managing folders for sync. If I've got a Mac/iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch versions of apps I just want them to all be synchronized without too much hassle.

That being said there are some situations where management is a good idea and we've got Dropbox and other services like Sugar Sync or Spider Oak for those needs.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's complete BS.

Au contraire- I probably own more Apple products that half the people on here as I type on my 4th iPad 2.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I must say, I'm not impressed at all with iCloud, especially the email, the junk filter is useless, and the web-mail is extremely slow, I find it to be way slower than MobilMe.

As an original subscriber to .mac way back from the release date, then MobileMe, and now iCloud, I concluded that Apple just doesn't know how to run a good email service, nor can they securely maintain your data, even if you pay $99 a year. They already lost two years worth of saved email when they switched me from .mac to MobileMe, if that had been Gmail, people would've cried bloody-mary.

I have built photo albums and a few sites on my .mac account which will be closed come June or July. To me that is unacceptable, I'll have to pull all my photos, re-categorize them, copy all my captions, and re-upload them to photo-bucket or Picasa. I would assume a good full days work. After that, I would have to email everyone who I think needs a new link to the new pages, update links to my multiple online resumes, facebook, and Linked-In.

I mean why? Why would Apple need to cut-out such a simple service, can't they continue an enhanced Photo Service within iCloud? I've been assigned 25 Gigs, I should be able to use it like I wish. I don't use Pages nor any of Apple's suites, so what else can I use this storage for? Nothing! So that's gonna get downgraded, I really can't change my email so I can only hope to eventually improve it.

Edit: Wow look at that my post is longer than the article. I was waiting for such an article so I can blow off some iCloud steam, thanks AI

I am the same, I joined MobileMe when I got my first iPhone and was a paid user since. I used it for my business mail and had a second account for personal. Loved the iDisk feature and the simple uploading of pictures from iphoto.

However, the lack of integration on other platforms began to really grate with me, as I had to purchase an online Exchange Host to get push mail on my phone after moving away from iOS. I ended up just moving the whole business to Gmail, although I genuinely didn't want to. I'm glad I did, as Apple lost 4 years of mail from my (business) account in the move to iCloud, and told me it could not be recovered.

The fact that I cant store files any more also is a nonsense, as is the lack of folder support. I had to drop all of the iCloud features and transition totally to Google services, as a mish-mash of the two was a disaster. Previously I only used GCal.

I resent being forced to use an iDevice to have mobile access to the services, I own two macs and PAID for MM for four years, only to be told I had to buy an iPhone/iPad to keep any useable level of integration. That's not fair. I can use Hotmail on any iDevice, or Gmail, or Yahoo. I've paid for the service, and STILL have to pay more to use it elsewhere via Exchange hosting? And that's just mail. Forget iCal or contacts.

I do post here, and it's not always positive, but I feel this is a genuine gripe, locking people in via app purchases etc is one thing, but holding someone to ransom is another. I had a nightmare transitioning everything over to Google, and I won't do it again to move back. I really loved MM when I had my Mac synced with my iPhone, and I wanted to keep that on other devices, and as a paid subscriber, I should have had that option. I realise iCloud is free, but offer a paid service with enhanced (cross platform) features, anything.

I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.