iPhone 4S to launch in world No. 2 mobile market India

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Red Oak had it pretty spot on with his first comment (before editing it out to make it politically correct ).

Typically Indians don't much care about user experience. The average buyer has zero aesthetic sensibilities and will probably never appreciate Apple's integrated hardware/software eco-system. As a result they rather buy cheap/inexpensive devices, just like the one their neighbor has (i.e. BB/nokia/samsung - herd mentality).

I totally sympathize with Apple on not bothering much with the Indian market (another example, no official Apple stores yet either). The hassles are probably just not worth it in the end.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

Red Oak had it pretty spot on with his first comment (before editing it out to make it politically correct ).

Typically Indians don't much care about user experience. The average buyer has zero aesthetic sensibilities and will probably never appreciate Apple's integrated hardware/software eco-system. As a result they rather buy cheap/inexpensive devices, just like the one their neighbor has (i.e. BB/nokia/samsung - herd mentality).

I totally sympathize with Apple on not bothering much with the Indian market (another example, no official Apple stores yet either). The hassles are probably just not worth it in the end.

Well that was harsh, India has its flaws like any other region in the world maybe less... for apple to get a market share in India they will have to do a lot more than they are doing right now. We dont want to join the rest of the world and be termed as having herd mentality just becoz everyone else is getting apple products lol
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

This is incorrect. From what I see the most affecting reason for the less popularity of iPhone in India is the general point of view towards communication. For majority of Indian users iPhone is a phone first. Even if they buy iPhone, majority of them will use it only for phone, messages, music & apps. People are not yet used to the idea of browsing major chunk of their internet requirements from phone itself. Computers are still the most popular way to browse internet.

The country with world's largest IT industry & highest internet users, if you says that average buyer has zero aesthetic sensibilities & can't appreciate Apple's hardware/software ecosystem then it can not be more wrong. Apple's business model of creating the features, creating the necessities & selling the devices on it doesn't work here much.

Taking example of Siri which is the major driving factor of 4S sell outs in US, Apple got overwhelming response with Siri. What average Siri user fails to understand is that how much ease of use is required in life? Okay you can set alarm by just talking to your phone but you can already do that by simple two-three steps yourself. Majority of work Siri can do, you can do it by yourself with simple Google search or by using that particular app itself.

In Advertise a guy sets up a meeting in his calendar while jogging. Yeah it looks great. Awesome demo but what needs to understand is that how many time you're going to be in that scenario? Do you really need to think about business while you're jogging? It's a marketing ploy. And if you do then it's a clear case of depending too much on technology. Can't you remember your appointments & schedule of a day by yourself?

I'll again say that for majority of Indian users iPhone is a phone first. And when average Indian user can have all his requirements of calling, messages, music, apps & navigation fulfilled by any Samsung/HTC or BB/Nokia phone in $300 price range why they shell out $750 for iPhone? It's a smart approach to the value for money.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The best thing about waiting in long lines in India is that you all break out in choreographed song and dance every 20 minutes.

Really funny NOT
  • Reply 25 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Really funny NOT

So much hate for Indian cinema. Shame on you. You should embrass the richness of your culture. Unfortunately for most of the world its through popular films we'll get a chance to see yore richness of your country.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

So much hate for Indian cinema. Shame on you. You should embrass the richness of your culture. Unfortunately for most of the world its through popular films we'll get a chance to see yore richness of your country.

What's your point? Are you upset why Apple added couple of more carriers. When android is just trying to fill every single inch of space left by any vendor.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

I thought YOU were being sarcastic, that;s why I wrote your quote is funny NOT! I enjoy India more than when I was living in some other developed countries
  • Reply 28 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I thought YOU were being sarcastic, that;s why I wrote your quote is funny NOT! I enjoy India more than when I was living in some other developed countries

I guess I was being stereotypically ironic (is that a thing?) or facetious, but certainly not meant to imply contempt or mockery. As you are well aware song and dance is pretty much on TV all the time? as well as Doogie Howser, M.D. I quite loved India overall. I hated the level of poverty and lack of general cleanliness surrounding very ritzy hotels and flats, but I can't imagine anyone who would like those things.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

This is incorrect. From what I see the most affecting reason for the less popularity of iPhone in India is the general point of view towards communication. For majority of Indian users iPhone is a phone first. Even if they buy iPhone, majority of them will use it only for phone, messages, music & apps. People are not yet used to the idea of browsing major chunk of their internet requirements from phone itself. Computers are still the most popular way to browse internet.

The country with world's largest IT industry & highest internet users, if you says that average buyer has zero aesthetic sensibilities & can't appreciate Apple's hardware/software ecosystem then it can not be more wrong. Apple's business model of creating the features, creating the necessities & selling the devices on it doesn't work here much.

Taking example of Siri which is the major driving factor of 4S sell outs in US, Apple got overwhelming response with Siri. What average Siri user fails to understand is that how much ease of use is required in life? Okay you can set alarm by just talking to your phone but you can already do that by simple two-three steps yourself. Majority of work Siri can do, you can do it by yourself with simple Google search or by using that particular app itself.

In Advertise a guy sets up a meeting in his calendar while jogging. Yeah it looks great. Awesome demo but what needs to understand is that how many time you're going to be in that scenario? Do you really need to think about business while you're jogging? It's a marketing ploy. And if you do then it's a clear case of depending too much on technology. Can't you remember your appointments & schedule of a day by yourself?

I'll again say that for majority of Indian users iPhone is a phone first. And when average Indian user can have all his requirements of calling, messages, music, apps & navigation fulfilled by any Samsung/HTC or BB/Nokia phone in $300 price range why they shell out $750 for iPhone? It's a smart approach to the value for money.

You are wrong, APPLE in India is seen by everyone has BRAND product and very much is talked about by most Indians. It is seen as Brand next to Hugo Boss, Chanel & LV. The cost ensures only the middle class to Rich can afford the phone and this has nothing to do with only requiring phone fuctionality. Indians enjoy electronics and always looking for the next gadget to buy and impress their friends. The reason is simply price, since 700 Million people can not afford good healthcare, how are they going to afford a phone priced at USD$750.

As for Siri, it would not work in India, since number of people, who can speak English have some dialects that would not be understood by Siri. Prime example is Call centres ,a number of people fail to get a job because their speaking/writing can not be retrained and fail the screening. Majority of the TOP call centres re-train their employees to speak clear English with yjeir normal Indian accent, but pronounce their words clearly so there is no misunderstanding by customer or support.

I wonder what you will say about iPad in India, since that is similarly price to iPhone and has sold very well for limited advertising.

I
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

I guess I was being stereotypically ironic (is that a thing?) or facetious, but certainly not meant to imply contempt or mockery. As you are well aware song and dance is pretty much on TV all the time… as well as Doogie Howser, M.D. I quite loved India overall. I hated the level of poverty and lack of general cleanliness surrounding very ritzy hotels and flats, but I can't imagine anyone who would like those things.

Believe me, be careful what you term poor in India, because the beggar in Mumbai is probably earning more than me a week. The balance between the poor and rich in such neighborhoods is very interesting and your first instance is too feel sorry for what you deem poor, but you can be mislead and Indians are very good at pulling at your emotional side.

The lack of general cleanliness is relative to your society and if you followed the Commonwealth Games saga, in Delhi you will understand that this is mindset of majority Indians on the level their deem cleanliness and is not linked only to poor.

Drink the water from tap and wether you are rich or poor, you are gambling with your health. majority of people in India (if not all) boil the tap water or have filter system.