Google to counter Apple's iTunes with its own online music store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The problem is that Google's approach to anyone's intellectual property but their own is "we want to copy it without permission and without paying royalties". Look at what they tried to do with books before they were stopped.

I think these kinds of statements about copyright are asinine and basically just a mouthing of what the media corporations want you to believe.

I absolutely hate Google and try to avoid all their lousy products, but ...

"what they tried to do with books before they were stopped." ...

would have been a great boon to the human race and the only one really hurt would be the media corporations. The actual creators of the works are pretty much out of the loop in both scenarios (Google's way or the Media Corp.'s way).

Modern copyright law has basically *nothing* to do with protecting the rights of the creators. It focusses almost entirely on the rights of media distribution companies. It's pretty much the opposite of what would be good for the consumers or the creators. It protects the middle men, the hucksters, and the hoarders of other people's IP.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    LOL...so Apple is supposed to be the only provider of music now? WOW

And for all those who love to quote Jobs on that "We didn't enter the search business" crap...

Google bought Android in 2005...Jobs knew damn well years before he made that stupid ass statement that Google was entering the phone market (a mere YEAR after Apple entered the phone market).

He wasn't shocked...and his anger was late.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think these kinds of statements about copyright are asinine and basically just a mouthing of what the media corporations want you to believe.

would have been a great boon to the human race and the only one really hurt would be the media corporations. The actual creators of the works are pretty much out of the loop in both scenarios (Google's way or the Media Corp.'s way).

Modern copyright law has basically *nothing* to do with protecting the rights of the creators. It focusses almost entirely on the rights of media distribution companies. It's pretty much the opposite of what would be good for the consumers or the creators. It protects the middle men, the hucksters, and the hoarders of other people's IP.

^^^reason #1024891570123 why I like you.

you don't turn your disdain into a blanket.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    Apple should partner with MS to use Bing, put the apple stamp on it by improving it and take on google together in the search business.

Apple did it with Office making it better than the windows version....

Wow, i never thought I would recommend anything MS, but I really think google did a "dirty" copying the iPhone an iOS from Apple.

But I have a feeling Apple is looking a couple of steps ahead...and that is using Siri as the main search engine and leave Google holding their "dangly, Wobblies!"
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Apple should partner with MS to use Bing, put the apple stamp on it by improving it and take on google together in the search business.

Apple did it with Office making it better than the windows version....

Wow, i never thought I would recommend anything MS, but I really think google did a "dirty" copying the iPhone an iOS from Apple.

Hey guy...how are you this morning (EST)?

I was wondering if you could tell me when and how Google copied the iPhone AND iOS from Apple...

I'll be waiting.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

What did M$ do when they copied Windows from MacOS from Apple?
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What did M$ do when they copied Windows from MacOS from Apple?

They did exactly what google did, make an inferior copy of something from Apple!
  • Reply 28 of 91
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Hey guy...how are you this morning (EST)?

I was wondering if you could tell me when and how Google copied the iPhone AND iOS from Apple...

I'll be waiting.

Corporate espionage. When Schmidt was on Apple's board. He betrayed Steve's trust and stabbed Steve in the back. He is evil.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:

They did exactly what google did, make an inferior copy of something from Apple!

One of the reasons I want to see Apple get their map system out as soon as possible.

Google may have done it well, but Apple will again redefine it.

My gosh, if you look at the companies Apple owns, it will be AMAZING what they create.

Not to mention we might finally get spoken turn-by-turn directions?
  • Reply 30 of 91
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    I don't like Google, but I can understand that Android users just don't have the kind of service provided by Apple via iTunes for iOS and iPod devices.

This is for hard-core Android-lovers/Apple-haters who won't ever buy an Apple product.

It's not the end of the world, as I can't see Apple users suddenly switching to Android just to get their tunes off of Google's service even if Google subsidises the cost of each track -- at the end of the day Google still exists to only want your personal info and ad-generated revenue.

If this thing starts losing money, Google may not have enough money in the bank to pay for Motorola
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"We didn't enter the search business, they entered the phone business. And the TV business. And the MUSIC business. AND the? "

EVIL business.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

EVIL business.

• Reply 33 of 91
    Google's music files don't sound as good as Apple's. Are they going to correct that?
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Please Apple:

Be more like Google.

FTFY.

Well played sir.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? You've seen the license agreements?

This report is solely a rumor.

Have you seen Apple's license agreements with the music companies? Amazon's? Pandora's?
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Competition is good. Hopefully this will spur Apple on to improve iTunes with the option to purchase lossless music and the option to store & stream purchases rather than download.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That is, of course, BS.

Lots of people make their livings off of work that they've created. Why in the world should Google be able to copy and distribute that work without permission or payment? You're far wrong when you say that the actual creators of work are out of the loop in the current system. The author is very much part of the loop (and I've created and sold several books, btw, so I'm familiar with the system). And if the author doesn't like the current system, there are plenty of ways to publish and sell your own work.

Google's attempt to use all copyrighted work without permission was nothing but outright theft. Trying to rationalize it the way you are is foolish.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Have you seen Apple's license agreements with the music companies? Amazon's? Pandora's?

I have seen official press releases stating that they exist. Have you seen any official evidence that Google has licensed music?
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Corporate espionage. When Schmidt was on Apple's board. He betrayed Steve's trust and stabbed Steve in the back. He is evil.

Thx, Conrad...for responding for me. I just couldn't muster the energy!
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One of the reasons I want to see Apple get their map system out as soon as possible.

Google may have done it well, but Apple will again redefine it.

My gosh, if you look at the companies Apple owns, it will be AMAZING what they create.

Not to mention we might finally get spoken turn-by-turn directions?

I agree, Apple just does most things better. I just don't think google & MS consider the "consumer experience" the way Apple does.