Google to counter Apple's iTunes with its own online music store

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

I don't like Google, but I can understand that Android users just don't have the kind of service provided by Apple via iTunes for iOS and iPod devices.

)

I use iOS but I can understand not wanting services delivered through itunes.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Rather than "just another music service" Google's put their own twist on several features. The ones that stood out to me included:

Google Music will offer 20,000 songs to be stored for free. . . and no size limit .

Music purchases can be billed directly to phone bill, tho only TMobile customers initially.

Artists can upload their own music, and keep 70% of all revenue. No upload fees, etc. Kudos for that!

Independent, up-and-coming artists can set their own prices, offer 90 second previews or even free downloads, and set up their own artist pages.

Buy an album and your friends can have a one-time listen for free. Recommend a single track to a friend on Google+ and that friend gets a listen to the entire track, not just a sample.

Every track in the Music store (Android Market) has a 90 second preview, and every track is a 320kbps MP3.

Millions of songs available directly from the Android Market.

and it's not a Beta!!

Biggest one for me was the artists stuff. one time $25 fee, no annual or per album costs. Artists can control price of songs, albums, and sharing options (minimum of 90sec, max of full unlimited streaming). With a 70/30 split on purchases.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

But I have a feeling Apple is looking a couple of steps ahead...and that is using Siri as the main search engine

Siri is not a search engine.

It is an interface between you and the search engine(s).

Quote:

and leave Google holding their "dangly, Wobblies!"

Siri uses Google (in addition to Bing and Yahoo) for its search engine.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Hmm, apparently Android has 550k activations per day, looks to me it stagnates...

Engadget

"In May, there was 100 million Android devices in the world. Today, there's 200 million Android devices worldwide. 550,000 new activations are being added each day."
  • Reply 85 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hmm, apparently Android has 550k activations per day, looks to me it stagnates...

Engadget

"In May, there was 100 million Android devices in the world. Today, there's 200 million Android devices worldwide. 550,000 new activations are being added each day."

And, once again, Google refuses to announce sales.

Each device can have multiple activations over its life. Conceivably MANY activations for one device.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And, once again, Google refuses to announce sales.

Each device can have multiple activations over its life. Conceivably MANY activations for one device.

Where did you read one device can have multiple activations?
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where did you read one device can have multiple activations?

That has been the speculation of many for a long time now. Disposable Android phones purchased and used for a few weeks count as an activation. We don't know for sure if upgrading the OS counts as an activation in Google's bookkeeping or not. We don't know actual sales figures of Android phones.

Then we have all of the data showing how much more web traffic is from iOS than Android. Unless the default state for web browsing on an Android phone is to point to a desktop version and hide the fact that it is Android, there no logical explanation for the super small amount of web traffic for Android if they are supposedly killing the iPhone in sales.

There are some electronics companies (Sony is an excellent example here) that consider something as "sold" if it has come off the assembly line and is in storage in a warehouse. Apple's figures for sold are actual point of sale numbers as they point out time and again.

Is there hard evidence of multiple activations for individual devices, no, but there is a lot of data that doesn't add up and only makes sense when viewed from that angle.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

There are some electronics companies (Sony is an excellent example here) that consider something as "sold" if it has come off the assembly line and is in storage in a warehouse. Apple's figures for sold are actual point of sale numbers as they point out time and again.

Then Apple may not report things any differently than Sony, reporting the sale occurred once it's on the way to a retailer's warehouse. I just posted this in a different thread.

From Apple's 10K SEC filing clarifying when a sale is deemed to have been made:

“(Apple) recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of (Apple)’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped."

There's a brief article on just this issue here:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...#ixzz1dzAnTF32
  • Reply 89 of 91
    Eric Schmidt can not be trusted and deserves to fail. Let's hope that Eric's "new" music store fails horribly. After agreeing with Steve to not compete on phones with Apple in exchange for Steve's promise not to compete on search engines he serves what he gets. Evil man.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TallistDah View Post

Eric Schmidt can not be trusted and deserves to fail. Let's hope that Eric's "new" music store fails horribly. After agreeing with Steve to not compete on phones with Apple in exchange for Steve's promise not to compete on search engines he serves what he gets. Evil man.

Poe's law?
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AdBlock + Ghostery means you never see ads on YouTube. Not even in-video ads nor the ones preceding videos.

I've never seen the latter. Ever. I only heard that they exist from other people complaining about them. Never have I seen a single ad on YouTube.

I installed Adblock (I've had Ghostery for a while), but now none of the videos on the FoodNetwork site play anymore. I just get an error saying the video can't be found. I have a feeling this has to do with Adblock suppressing or blocking the ads. The videos play fine in Firefox, with a 15 second ad first. I couldn't find any instructions for removing Adblock. Do you have any suggestions?