Galaxy Nexus web benchmarks outpace iPhone 4S as 'Woz' picks up early copy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

I wouldn't say that - I have no doubt that Android is very high quality spyware. If you don't mind Google knowing everything about you and selling your soul to advertisers, then Android is for you.

As for myself, I plan on staying as far away from Google's evil as I can.

Back to the topic of the article, I don't get the Nexus hype. The Nexus is only 1.12x to 1.2x faster in CPU tasks, which nobody will even be able to notice without running some type of spec diagnostic on it, yet the 4S is 2.5x to 2.7x faster in GPU tasks, which should be extremely noticeable.

The peculiar thing about the CPU benchmarks is that they are both based on dual core ARM Corete-A9, but the Nexus operates at 1.5x the clock rate of the 4S yet achieves only 1.12x to 1.2x the performance (according to these specs). If true, something else in the Nexus hardware or in Android is really dogging it down. Given the dramatically higher clock rate of the Nexus, one would expect it to have noticeably shorter battery life. (But of course the 4S has some yet-to-be-overcome battery issues of its own that may negate its efficiency advantage.)

Given that the A5 in the iPad2 has 1.25x the clock rate of the 4S and given the commensurate GPU performance advantage over the 4S as shown, I wonder what its CPU numbers would look like compared to the 4S & Nexus? I rather suspect it would be on par even though the Nexus still has 1.2x the clock rate of the iPad. All the more remarkable given that the Nexus has 2x the RAM of the iPhone & the iPad.

More to come I'm sure, but taken at face value this spec report does not look like an endorsement of either the Galaxy Nexus or the OMAP 4460 powering it. Given the strong similarities in the hardware other than the clock rates, RAM, & GPU architectures, I'm inclined to think this indicates that Android is much less efficient than iOS.

At least as far as user performance is concerned. I'm quite confident that Android is the more efficient spyware for its masters.

In all fairness to Galaxy Nexus, Google smartphones aren't designed for (near) console-quality gaming. Apparently, Google App Market doesn't offer any games rivaling Call of Duty, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2 or any of the other high quality games on the iTunes App Store.

In fact, as far as I can discern from Android proponents, Android is primarily designed for "customization" and "connectivity." Beyond occasionally reading email, I don't see Android users actually using their smartphones. I have heard a few say that customization is outstanding but they became bored with that quickly and many wanted a real smartphone soon after. I find it interesting that anyone needs to connect their Android smartphone to anything with HDMI or USB considering they don't have anything on the smartphone to share with few exceptions. Of course, while they are fumbling with wires, I just connect wirelessly like others living in 2011.

These results are quite intriguing since the primary benefit (to the community) of open source software, which Google claims Android to be, is software quality. Given the issues with Android, the software may well be better off not being "open source." I fail to understand how "open source" software on hardware with 200% the RAM and 150% of the clock speed but marginally better performance can be considered "quality."
  • Reply 42 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

I'm not a mathematician but I am pretty sure that 5 comes after 4 and 6 comes after 5.

???

Are you suggesting the next iPhone will be iPhone 5? I suspect not. As you may know, Apple never released an iPhone 2 but has released an iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Now I know why Android used desserts for their code names. It was lure Woz to their camp.

2) Even with such better specs on paper they can't keep pace with the iPhone 4S. Even look at the Samsung Galaxy S II, a device previously touted as an iPhone killer, which comes with a dual-core Cortex-A9 at 1.2GHz or 1.5GHz is on par with the single-core Cortex-A8 from 2010 in the browser tests. That's just pathetic and give Apple no reason to compete harder.

3) This just awesomwe¡ Ice Cream Sandwich has visual voicemail API, no built-in app

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Yes until they left out the fact what is the battery life like.

Kind of wonder who is this appleinsider wonder who wrote the story.

It's not the full review. It took AnandTech weeks to run the iPhone 4S through a battery of tests so give it some time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

...and that would be important if if they were using the same processor, but they aren't.

-kpluck

dual-core Cortex-A9? I think they are the same design, it's the Soc/PoP that are not the same.
  • Reply 44 of 135
    So the moral of the story is that none of you have used the galaxy nexus.

Also did someone say Android multitasking is complex in 4.0??

You push a button. That is constantly on screen. No double clicks

(Just updated by iPad to 5.0.1 and love the gestures :-)
  • Reply 45 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Galaxy Nexus isn't 4G either, so I fail to see what purpose your feigned outrage serves.

in the US the Nexus is 4G LTE enabled.

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/tech-specs

the downside is that they changed the spec to 16GB from 32GB. That's a problem when the 4S is 32GB at the $299 price point and the Nexus does not have a microSD slot.

I'll probably have to play with the nexus first before making a final decision.
  • Reply 46 of 135
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Only tech geeks are concerned with tech specs. It's the experience that counts. I don't know about anybody complaining that the iPhone 4S is slow.

Very good point. I think smartphones have now matured so much that they are just like 'normal' computers: if you only want to use them for the stuff most people do with them it doesn't really matter what you buy anymore. They're all fast enough, and the screen is good enough.
  • Reply 47 of 135
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

I'm not a mathematician but I am pretty sure that 5 comes after 4 and 6 comes after 5.

Oh come on... at least make a shred of thinking effort!

v1 = iPhone

v2 = iPhone 3g

v3 = iPhone 3gs

v4 = iPhone 4

v5 = iPhone 4s

v6 = iPhone 5
  • Reply 48 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

10 phones? Why, to call himself? It's not like anyone else is calling him.

I wonder on what body parts he is carrying those 10 phones.

They must feel like hot potatoes in his pocket(s), especially when at a distance from the nearest cell tower.
  • Reply 49 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atchijov View Post

Friend of mine have one of those. Nice phone, unfortunately you pay the price for faster CPU and slimmer (and noticeably lighter) design. In this case, price is battery life. Unless you spend the whole day close to charging port, you may not be too happy with this phone.

The Galaxy gets owned when it comes to OpenGL performance. The next update to iOS will have the Javascript back in Apple's camp. The lack of performance for GPGPU/OpenGL power is not something a software update will resolve for Google.
  • Reply 50 of 135
    I like android and I'm running a GSII currently.

I'm not all that excited about the G-Nexus. It's just okay as far as I am concerned.

I like what I am seeing in Android 4.0, but overall, I think the phone is just blah.

Put it this way, the plan is for the wife and I to get Iphone5's in 2012, and nothing about the G-Nexus is making me change my mind.

Look at the huge difference in geometry crunching. The i4S RAPES it by a massive margin.

When it comes to mating hardware and software, Apple still wins.
  • Reply 51 of 135
    The google business model may certainly be flawed.

I quite imagine it has become an unexpected runaway consumer train that has made many corporate enemies.

As some just said, 'phones for the masses don't get you the lasses'.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How dare you accuse AppleInsider of unbias! DED/Slash Lane/Prince McLean will personally accept your apology

Too much!!!
  • Reply 53 of 135
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Its sad to Woz get caught getting a Nexus if Steve was around he probably would of thought twice perhaps this a sign of things to come from Apple not good.. and to be honest I actually like the new Nexus.

Woz may be getting one for research purposes. Know your enemy. Do a little reverse engineering to see how it ticks.
  • Reply 54 of 135
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I am surprised to find that nobody is seeing the obvious:

even in synthetic tests, Nexus beets the iPhone with a very narrow margin. It is way too small to be noticed perceptually. But a number of posters here claim that they will get the Nexus over iPhone based on this.

Then the Nexus is slower on other synthetic test, by a factor of 3. This is quite of a difference, everybody will "feel" it.

The right headline of the article would say:

The flagship Android phone 2-3 times slower on OpenGL tasks

(despite having 50%-100% higher clock-speed)
  • Reply 55 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

Woz may be getting one for research purposes. Know your enemy. Do a little reverse engineering to see how it ticks.

I doubt that. Woz just seems like a guy who likes all sorts of gadgets and Woz doesn't really have anything to do with product development at Apple anymore, even though he still collects some sort of paycheck from Apple for a tiny amount.

I don't know the guy, but he seems like somebody who wouldn't really have many enemies or keep any grudges. He basically seems like the opposite of Steve Jobs when it comes to those kinds of things.

And there's no magic or anything mysterious happening inside any Android phone, Apple has no need to see what makes the competition's phones tick. Apple is walking on it's own path and they know exactly where they are heading towards. It is the competitors who are following in the footsteps of Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 135
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Early web benchmarks for the Galaxy Nexus show that the flagship smartphone outperforms Apple's iPhone 4S in some areas

It is 10-15% faster while being clocked 50% higher and the iPhone 4S graphics are 2.5x faster. I'd say that the iPhone 4S is the overall faster phone here by quite a significant margin.

It does look like a nice phone despite being quite big:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZPO01JKjU

It's bigger than the Galaxy S2, which is already a pretty big phone, here's it next to the Note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2Vl4CVRd4

It's probably time for the iPhone to move up a bit in terms of screen size but not any bigger than 4".

I like that they removed the buttons too as it gives a lot more screen space but I don't think the iPhone should do this, just modify the physical home button into a lozenge-shaped capacitive button but the next one is way too far away to bother thinking about it now.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

That's just a nasty and immature comment to say. It tells us more about you than Woz. How do you know who calls him, and even if you did, why would you be so publicly derogatory about it.

Jealousy, because designing the Apple, version 1, makes Woz the King of Geeks

The multiple phones are just jewels of the crown
  • Reply 58 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

I am surprised to find that nobody is seeing the obvious:

even in synthetic tests, Nexus beets the iPhone with a very narrow margin. It is way too small to be noticed perceptually. But a number of posters here claim that they will get the Nexus over iPhone based on this.

Then the Nexus is slower on other synthetic test, by a factor of 3. This is quite of a difference, everybody will "feel" it.

The right headline of the article would say:

The flagship Android phone 2-3 times slower on OpenGL tasks

(despite having 50%-100% higher clock-speed)

Yet significantly faster on OpenGL than the iPhone4. Is that Apple phone doggy on games? I haven't seen owners complain, so I don't think the Nexus should have any issues with them either.

As for it being the Android flagship phone, that's not what it is designed to be, nor the intent of the phone. It's simply a reference device for the new OS, Ice Cream Sandwich. Motorola, Samsung and HTC already have phones being finalized using ICS that they'll consider their "flagships". The Nexus isn't one of them, thus the lack of cutting-edge hardware.
  • Reply 59 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I doubt that. Woz just seems like a guy who likes all sorts of gadgets .

I don't know the guy, but he seems like somebody who wouldn't really have many enemies or keep any grudges.

He does seem like a nice, fun person to hang out with... and build stuff with. You'd wish he'd be young and you could start some kind of company with a fruit logo

Maybe a banana.
  • Reply 60 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atchijov View Post

Friend of mine have one of those. Nice phone, unfortunately you pay the price for faster CPU and slimmer (and noticeably lighter) design. In this case, price is battery life. Unless you spend the whole day close to charging port, you may not be too happy with this phone.

Data speeds of 14Mbps (not that AT&T supports that anywhere) are plenty for me, and besides there are very few places getting the faster LTE speeds (certainly no place within 100 miles of me. I need my phone first & foremost to be a phone, I need it to just work & have battery a plenty. I still have 3GS & battery got even better with iOS 5. I'll upgrade when there is significant reason too, for now I can't justify it.

Besides, I've dealt with enough android phones & even the HTCs have their demons. I left bberry's cause I was sick of the quirkiness, so why would I go to something that's even flakier than a bberry.